Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

Our youth players aren't really that good though are they. Not sure about the current crop of youngsters but over the years there always seems to be a lot of excitement over our youth products and then they turn out to be a bit shit really

I think you're too harsh on them. Do many of them not fulfil their potential, yes undoubtedly but that's the nature of youth football. You develop many so that you can gain from the few that come through and I think Villa are more successful than most in doing that. Our academy is renowned. Our backline will have 2 academy graduates in it tomorrow and we would have one up front if he wasn't injured, plus we made a few mil off one in the summer. One of tomorrow's opponents star players came from our academy too.

Yes all those products are in the team ........but look at the team ...its fodder ..they are getting in the team for all the wrong reasons (they are cheap and there is no one else).

I thought Delph was out tommorow as well ?  0-2 me thinks.

I really have no idea what our possible line-up could be. Have a feeling Lambert will start Benteke with either Helenius or Kozak but that only works in a 4-4-2.

For me I think nothing better than ..

Guzan ..

Bacuna .. Vlaar .. Baker .. Clark or Herd ..

Lowton .. Sylla .. Delph .. Tonev ..

Helenius ..

Benteke ..

I really have no idea what our possible line-up could be. Have a feeling Lambert will start Benteke with either Helenius or Kozak but that only works in a 4-4-2.

For me I think nothing better than ..

Guzan ..

Bacuna .. Vlaar .. Baker .. Clark or Herd ..

Lowton .. Sylla .. Delph .. Tonev ..

Helenius ..

Benteke ..

KEA for Sylla and i'm with you

Surprised so many would have KEA over Sylla. Still not convinced by El-Ahmadi, still never seen what I'd call a consistently good 90 minutes. Think that Sylla in the role he has offers a lot more to the team.

KEA and Westwood must be doing very well in training and Sylla must be disappointing because I can't work out these selections at the moment.

If we went 442 I would slot Lowton in at right back and play Bacuna and Tonev in the wide midfield positions.

Personally I'd go with Kozak over Helenius at present as I believe the combination of him and Benteke looked decent last week.

I really think Cardiff will offer a stern test and I just never fancy us at home at the minute.

At most we will have 17 available first team players tomorrow. If Delph is out, we will have 16 available. That means definitely 1, maybe 2 of the reserves WILL make the bench unless one of our casualties makes a miraculous recovery or we recall someone from loan or Lambert eases his principles on Hutton or Stevens.

Johnson will be probably be the 1 to fill the gap. Question is who is the 2nd player if Delph is out? Webb, Donacien, Burke, Robinson? I don't think it would be Jordan Graham as he has only just returned to the reserve team after long term injury.

What's the availability in the north stand like tomorrow, me and my missus are gonna go but were on a budget so the £20 tickets are ideal but I can't use the stadium planner on my mobile, anyone care to have a glance for me? I'll give you a hug for your troubles

I wouldnt worry mate- I would be amazed if we get more than 35,000 in given our current form! As for injuries I dont think Villa should bleat on about it. It happens over a season and the idea is that we have a squad good enough to cope with the odd injury.If that is true or not we will find out tomorrow.

Update from a previous post, I would play either 4-2-3-1, Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Sylla, Westwood, Bacuna, Delph, Tonev and Benteke or 4-3-1-2, Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Sylla, Westwood, Delph, Tonev, Helenius and Benteke; would like to see Helenius start in a number 10 type roll, but thinking Lambert still doesn't think he is ready to start a game in the PL.

No one knows what the starting line-up will be though, it could be 3-5-2, 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1, personally don't want to see 3-5-2, think its very defensive of a formation to start with at home especially against the opposition tomorrow, 2-2.

Edited by Avflife

We should get an idea on Lamberts tactical ability in this game, it will most likely be a similiar team to the one which performed so poorly against West Ham (minus Weimann). If the team don't perform better I'll have more or less given up hope. I am looking forward to it like I always do, I just know that my hope could be a lost cause.

Whilst I don't like 352/532 if and it's a big if, played correctly its not a defensive formation. If the wing backs push fully on then it can be an attacking formation. With present injuries and without a fit lb I think it will be the way we play

• Like 1

I just hope we score the first goal tomorrow. That would be a novelty. We've only done it 1 time in 10 games (Every other team in the league has opened the scoring at least 3 times). If we do it will force Cardiff to open up and we are well equipped to exploit that.

Win and we could go 9th. So stop with all your  :rant::bang:  and try a bit of  :clap:  :flag:

By New Year we will be in or around the top 10 and you lot will all cheer up a bit. Feel free to quote me on that.

• Like 1

-----------------------Guzan

-----Vlaar-----------Clark-----------------Baker

Lowton-------------------------------------------Delph

--------Bacuna------Westwood--------Graham

----------Kozak----------------------Benteke

Subs - Steer,  Tonev,  Helenius,  Robinson, KEA, Sylla,  Herd

Richard......you can do better than this :P
was the formatting not right?

One thing I hope for tomorrow (besides the three points) is that we are a bit more aggressive and "to the point" than we've been in recent games. An early goal would be fantastic and would ease the crowd.

I can see many of you are pointing out a 4-4-2 formation. This is not the way to go as we will get dominated in the midtfield. It's not like we are in the 90's anymore, we're in a possession based era and we will have to adjust to it. 

I think with our current squad, the 4-2-3-1 formation is the best suitable, i'd go for something like

-------------------Guzan-------------------

Bacuna--------Vlaar-----Baker------Luna

---------------Sylla-------Delph---------------

Weimann--------Tonev-------------Gabby

---------------------Benteke--------------------

I can see many of you are pointing out a 4-4-2 formation. This is not the way to go as we will get dominated in the midtfield. It's not like we are in the 90's anymore, we're in a possession based era and we will have to adjust to it.

I think with our current squad, the 4-2-3-1 formation is the best suitable, i'd go for something like

Well clearly youve paid no attention to this thread or the pre match team news, 3 of your chosen XI are injured.

• Like 1

Well clearly youve paid no attention to this thread or the pre match team news, 3 of your chosen XI are injured.

Haha give him a bit of slack, he has only recently joined the forum. Not all of us know the latest up-to-date team news.

This is going to be a smasher, it's going to be a really rough and bumpy game, they'll finish with 9 men, we'll finish with ten, it'll leave fans feeling a bit itchy and ill, almost as if we've witnessed a traffic accident but we'll win 5-2