Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

Guzan

Clark      Vlaar      Baker

Sylla

Bacuna          Delph

Tonev           Helenius           Gabby

Benteke

With Bacuna dropping back to help Sylla and the defence and Tonev into centre mid when required. 

Edited by kasabian21

Those thinking that Cardiff will 'park the bus' are being too arrogant. Why would Cardiff give us that much respect with our current home record?

It will be more open than that with the Cardiff manager rightly thinking that they could get three points at our place if they show enough ambition.

We're definitely not in the position of putting the fear of God in any team at the moment, even Palace. 

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1

Those thinking that Cardiff will 'park the bus' are being too arrogant. Why would Cardiff give us that much respect with our current home record?

It will be more open than that with the Cardiff manager rightly thinking that they could get three points at our place if they show enough ambition.

We're definitely not in the position of putting the fear of God in any team at the moment, even Palace. 

I think parking the bus is harsh, Don't think for one minute they will come out at us. We will have more possession and it'll be a case of whether we can break them down.

You misunderstand why I think they'll park the bus. They won't do it out of respect for us. They'll do it because they'll have seen that the teams that have beaten us this season have not allowed us to counter-attack. They'll do it because if they've any cop on at all they'll know that to come at us is the best way to lose. They only need to ask Wenger & Pellegrini that. So no, I'm not being too arrogant.
  • Like 1

My expected lineup

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Baker Clark Bacuna

Sylla Westwood Delph

Benteke Kozak

KEA for Sylla and I think that's who we will play.

yes i think you are right. Lowton and Bacuna need to need to make it 3-5-2 and we need one of the midfield to step up and support so makes me think now that Tonev may play instead of Sylla or KEA

I can't see Bacuna at left back (or left wing back) maybe at a push Lowton might go there, but I'm guessing that if Luna doesn't make it back we'll go to a four man line with Baker out left.

Possibly:

--------------------Guzan--------------------

Bacuna-----Vlaar-----Clark-------Baker

--------KEA-----Delph---Westwood------

------------------Tonev----------------------

-------Benteke-------Kozak---------------

Which looks solid enough, but probably wouldn't be the prettiest. You could possibly go a bit more cautious and put Delph where Tonev is and bring Sylla in.

Has Bacuna ever played on the left side of defense?

• Like 1

Think if Luna is still out we will stick with 3/5 at the back..

Guzan

Vlaar baker Clark

Lowton. Bacuna

Westwood, Delph, Kea/sylla

Kozak. benteke

Yes that's exactly how i see it. Its not ideal for Bacuna but he can cut inside and shoot from the left

Tried to write a team out but genuinely no idea how we'll line up. Guzan, Vlaar, Delph and Benteke for definite, I'm guessing with Bacuna, Clark, Baker, KEA, Lowton, Kozak, and one of Sylla or Tonev.

Think if Luna is still out we will stick with 3/5 at the back..

Guzan

Vlaar baker Clark

Lowton. Bacuna

Westwood, Delph, Kea/sylla

Kozak. benteke

its not great is it? I look at that and instantly think oh dear but I think thats pretty much how we will line up

Well if Cardiff DO sit back then it mightn't be any harm having two battering rams up front. It could be another Hull or West Ham though. It could be SJP ugly.

You misunderstand why I think they'll park the bus. They won't do it out of respect for us. They'll do it because they'll have seen that the teams that have beaten us this season have not allowed us to counter-attack. They'll do it because if they've any cop on at all they'll know that to come at us is the best way to lose. They only need to ask Wenger & Pellegrini that. So no, I'm not being too arrogant.

Fairy enough but you can see why i misunderstood your post. Generally in football terminology 'parking the bus' would suggest that the team is going to set up defensively to try and keep the score down but i'm still not sure they won't play a little more open than you think.

Either way i hope we stuff them. 

Yeah agreed. The normal usage of parking the bus and the one used when playing Villa are 2 different things unfortunately. I'd much rather they were parking the bus out of fear of an absolute battering :D

The thing is with 3 at the back, it's essentially 5 at the back unless you tend to have a lot of possession (which we don't). So I hope we play four at the back as i don't think Cardiff deserve us to play 5 at the back.