Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

yeah that does look good, i'd have baker as LB though

Baker is terrible at left back, it's just not his spot. I don't know if Clark's any better as I haven't seen him in that role yet, but at least Clark has a little attacking instinct, good passing ability, and a bit more pace than Baker. Baker is not comfortable going forward and doesn't have the pace to get back. I'd like to see Clark tried out there, if we're assuming Luna and Bennett are both still out.

I hope that Lambert doesn't go for the 5-at-the-back again. It was much much too defensive vs. West Ham and would be similarly overkill vs. Cardiff at home. If the fullback injury problems make a back four problematic, what do people think about trying out an attacking 3-4-3 formation? Something like:

Guzan

Vlaar - Baker - Clark

Bacuna - KEA - Westwood/Sylla* - Delph

Helenius - Benteke - Tonev

I think Delph would do well over on the left, both in an attacking and defending capacity. Although his form has been not great so far, I think I'd favor Westwood in this formation vs. Cardiff, as we'll be looking to keep the ball and he's about the best passer we have. Sylla might be better deployed there if we need a little more steel against more physical teams, or maybe as a late sub to help protect a lead.

Ideally the front three would be Weimann and Gabby with CB provided they're all fit and firing. I'm not sure yet how Kozak and Benteke together are going to work. But with Helenius and Tonev up front with Benteke, we've got some pace and industry (Tonev) and some trickery/skills (Helenius). I think it could work.

I think a 3-4-3 could work, but with Gabby and Andi. If they're not fit, how about 3-5-2? Benteke with Gabby or Helenius if he's not fit. Both Sylla and Westwood in.

I don't think Baker's that hopeless at LB. If we play 3-5-2 he can stay back and not go forward at all. Clark just doesn't look like a full back to me.

I think 3-5-2 is what we played (or tried to play) vs. West Ham and it just became a turgid 5-3-2 too much of the time, with Lowton and Bacuna hanging back too often. It would be a better formation with Luna or Bennett in there as a natural wing-back on the left side, but with both of them out injured it didn't have too much success.

Gabby and Weimann both confirmed out according to the Evening Mail. Makes selection interesting.

Guzan is a definite, with Steer on the bench - then we've got Bennett, Okore, Weimann, Agbonlahor, Albrighton, Herd and Gardner out - so ignoring Given, we've got 15 players that have a number on the back of the programme and are available.

If we go five at the back, then I'd assume Vlaar, Baker and Clark are all certs, with Luna the only real option down the left. You'd expect Delph to play if he's fit and Benteke to lead the line.

So:

----------------------Guzan-------------------------

----------Vlaar-----Clark--------Baker-----------

xxxxxx---------------------------------------Luna

----------xxxxxx---xxxxxx--Delph---------------

---------------------Benteke----------------------

With one more to add and Bacuna, El Ahmadi, Helenius, Westwood, Sylla, Bowery, Tonev, Lowton and Kozak to pick from.

Midfield is any two from Westwood, El Ahmadi and Sylla - I'd go with El Ahmadi and Westwood for this one -which puts Sylla on the bench.

----------------------Guzan-------------------------

xxxxxx---------------------------------------Luna

-------Westwood--El Ahmadi--Delph----------

Subs. Steer, Sylla 

With one more to add and Bacuna, Helenius, Bowery, Tonev, Lowton and Kozak to pick from.

Right wing back is a tricky one - Bacuna has been good, but Lowton would feel unlucky to miss out - I think he'll be unlucky.

---------------------Guzan-------------------------

Bacuna---------------------------------------Luna

Subs. Steer, Sylla, Lowton, 

So then how do we link those eight outfield players to Benteke?

Personally, I'd like to see Helenius given a go in behind him - he seems quite a creative player and he has a bit of guile about him, whether he can also get beyond Benteke and add a threat I'm not sure. Kozak can, but I think playing both up front will leave us too direct and mean we're constantly letting Cardiff have the ball - I'd be a little disappointed if we went that way. Bowery seems unlikely.

I suspect that Lambert will go with Tonev, either as a link man or as a wider midfield player in a formation that includes both Bacuna and Lowton at the expense of a midfielder - I have a feeling he might score a spectacular one this weekend, I've a feeling he might have a lot of goes at it.

---------------------Guzan-------------------------

Bacuna---------------------------------------Luna

-----------------------Tonev------------------------

Subs. Steer, Sylla, Lowton, Helenius, Kozak, Bowery, Johnson

2-1 to us - Tonev the hero after an ineffective performance of poor decisions, punctuated by two moments of brilliance that bring him a 25 yard screamer and an assist for Benteke's winner.

And, please, please, please, no more injuries before Saturday.

Gabby is out ?

What about Luna ?

Looks like it Matt Kendrick has said as much. So we are going to have play Benteke and Kozak up front. Anyway Cardiff will park the bus so Gabby wouldn'r be very effective 

No Gabby, Andi, Luna, or Bennett.

I fear that the 5-3-2 will rear its ugly head again.

I fear the same. I struggle to see him playing a front three with both Gabby and Weimann out.

We say that, but watch them take the game to us on Saturday and make us feel like we're the away team.

If they really do that then Mackay is not the manager I thought he was. That would be playing exactly into our hands and they'll know from our previous home games this season to sit and wait.

My ideal line up

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Bacuna

Sylla Westwood Delph

Helenius Benteke Tonev

----

My expected lineup

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Baker Clark Bacuna

Sylla Westwood Delph

Benteke Kozak

Edited by Kwan

Low crowd expected for this one. I just hope the fans that are there get right behind the team even if we go a goal down, guide the young players over the line.

I dont the the support will be great at the weekend, especially given the run we are on and lack of goals. If Cardiff score first I think it will all go tits up