Weather...

Dodgyknees

21 hours ago, Genie said:

Bizarre temperature rises coming up.

Currently 5 degrees at 6pm, it’ll be 8 degrees at 8pm, it’ll be 9 degrees at midnight, 11 degrees at 3am and 12 degrees at 6am.

Not really bizarre at all, it's a couples of degrees above average

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think he meant bizarre in that it warmed rapidly after nightfall when temps typically start to drop.

As you say it's not that unusual to see relatively rapid temperature changes as a cold or warm front passes, but it felt strange due to the timing and the fact we had a couple of weeks of fairly stable, very cold conditions. It was still bloody cold in my house last night though!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

It’s bizarre to see a shift of about 18 degrees in 24 hours, and for the temperature to rise like that through the night.

4 hours ago, bickster said:

I think it actually is bizarre how we have gone from ridiculously cold to mild so quickly. If it was a couple degrees i would agree with you but its been a significant jump and fof winter that doesnt happen often.

Rest of the weak looks mild thankfully

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it actually is bizarre how we have gone from ridiculously cold to mild so quickly. If it was a couple degrees i would agree with you but its been a significant jump and fof winter that doesnt happen often.

Rest of the weak looks mild thankfully

It's not bizarre at all. The area of high pressure containing cold air from the east has been replaced by low pressure frontal systems with much warmer air from over the Atlantic

There is absolutely nothing bizarre about it (and the diurnal temperature range for the 24 hours was nowhere near 18 degrees either)

People associate the night with temperatures getting colder because there's no sun to heat the air up but in circumstances where cold air is replaced by warm air the temperature will go up. It's a perfectly normal event. It's not rare, it's not odd and it certainly isn't bizarre

On Sunday in Liverpool we had a low of 1 degree and a high of 8, Today we've got a low of 10 and a high of 14

Going back to Friday we had a low of minus 7 and a high of 2 but the evening was much warmer than the previous morning. People weren't calling that bizarre even though the diurnal range was greater and the later part of the day was warmer than the early

Go back a few more days and you'll see it happen again

clicky

weather.png

9 hours ago, bickster said:

It's not bizarre at all. The area of high pressure containing cold air from the east has been replaced by low pressure frontal systems with much warmer air from over the Atlantic

There is absolutely nothing bizarre about it (and the diurnal temperature range for the 24 hours was nowhere near 18 degrees either)

People associate the night with temperatures getting colder because there's no sun to heat the air up but in circumstances where cold air is replaced by warm air the temperature will go up. It's a perfectly normal event. It's not rare, it's not odd and it certainly isn't bizarre

On Sunday in Liverpool we had a low of 1 degree and a high of 8, Today we've got a low of 10 and a high of 14

Going back to Friday we had a low of minus 7 and a high of 2 but the evening was much warmer than the previous morning. People weren't calling that bizarre even though the diurnal range was greater and the later part of the day was warmer than the early

clicky

weather.png

In my life time i havent seen it jump from highs of 1 to 12 during the day in 24 hrs in December ever.

Its good its been warm for you but it hasnt been warm here at all night or day since yesterday. So i stick to my original point its bizarre for this time of year

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

In my life time i havent seen it jump from highs of 1 to 12 during the day in 24 hrs in December ever.

Its good its been warm for you but it hasnt been warm here at all night or day since yesterday. So i stick to my original point its bizarre for this time of year

OK, ignore the actual facts, that's fine

13 hours ago, bickster said:

clicky

weather.png

Thanks Wincey

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, bickster said:

clicky

weather.png

You've gone from a low of -7 to a high of 14 in the space of 3 days.

I reckon that's pretty rare for Liverpool (or any other English city) in December.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I reckon that's pretty rare for Liverpool (or any other English city) in December.

What was claimed to be bizarre happened only three days previously and with a greater temperature range, it's not even what I'd describe as rare

What has happened is perfectly normal when an area of high pressure is replaced by a period of low pressure in winter

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

What was claimed to be bizarre happened only three days previously and with a greater temperature range, it's not even what I'd describe as rare

What has happened is perfectly normal when an area of high pressure is replaced by a period of low pressure in winter

So you're saying a jump of 21 degrees in temperature over 3 days in December is not at all bizarre, let alone rare?

Interesting.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So you're saying a jump of 21 degrees in temperature over 3 days in December is not at all bizarre, let alone rare?

Correct. It's a product of the prevailing conditions

This is the Met Office Climate Analysis from December 2019

1st to 6th The 1st was a dry sunny cold day except for a few showers in eastern coastal counties which penetrated into East Anglia and the south-east, with a minimum of -7.9 °C at Shap (Cumbria) and a maximum of just -0.9 °C at Bewcastle (Cumbria). From the 2nd to 4th it turned milder by day and it was mostly cloudy in the north with some light rain on the 2nd and 4th, but central and southern areas remained dry and sunny with overnight frosts and some patchy fog, which was particularly widespread early on the 4th. East Malling (Kent) recorded 7.8 hours of bright sunshine on the 3rd. After a frosty start in the south on the 5th, with some fog in central southern and south-western counties, milder air spread to all parts. A belt of rain spread south-eastwards across the country late on the 5th and early on the 6th, , followed by sunshine and showers. Thornes Park (West Yorkshire) reached 14.3 °C on the 6th.

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

Correct. It's a product of the prevailing conditions

This is the Met Office Climate Analysis from December 2019

So the same shift, but over a 6 day period rather than a 3 day period and in different locations. 

Using the link you posted earlier, Shap (cited) went from a -7 low to an 8 high in a 3 day period.  Quite a variance, but "only" 15 degrees rather than 21 (6 degrees quite a bit in temperature terms) and in a place which had an extreme low compared to the rest of the country at that time.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So the same shift, but over a 6 day period rather than a 3 day period and in different locations. 

Using the link you posted earlier, Shap (cited) went from a -7 low to an 8 high in a 3 day period.  Quite a variance, but "only" 15 degrees rather than 21 (6 degrees quite a bit in temperature terms) and in a place which had an extreme low compared to the rest of the country at that time.

Yes but what is your point? The change in conditions there is only differing by a few days. Its exactly the same change of conditions giving the same results only it took slightly longer. I'm not sure what you point is.

Again, what happened is perfectly normal, whether it takes 3 days or 5 isn't really relevant. Different areas of low pressure move at different speeds

It's normal

Â