Weather...

Dodgyknees

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Here is Perth 7 day forecast:

It's cooler than last time I was there. El Nina, maybe? It was in the 40s in 2019 at the same time of year. Still, nice to be warm, eh? 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

What was claimed to be bizarre happened only three days previously and with a greater temperature range, it's not even what I'd describe as rare

What has happened is perfectly normal when an area of high pressure is replaced by a period of low pressure in winter

It’s perfectly normal for the temperature to rise from 6 degrees at 6 pm to 12 degrees by 6am? It’s not normal at all and highly unusual.

You seem to have confused something being unusual with being scientifically impossible (which nobody claimed).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

OK, ignore the actual facts, that's fine

Facts what facts im telling you about where i live. No data is going to tell me something ive rarely experienced in my lifetime.

I described the situation for me your data doesnt show that. Your not getting the point

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s perfectly normal for the temperature to rise from 6 degrees at 6 pm to 12 degrees by 6am? It’s not normal at all and highly unusual.

You seem to have confused something being unusual with being scientifically impossible (which nobody claimed).

it is perfectly normal for the weather conditions that occured.

There is no rule that temperatures can't go higher at night, as I showed, it happened at least twice in three days, it happened the previous week too if you'd care to look

1 minute ago, bickster said:

There is no rule that temperatures can't go higher at night, as I showed, it happened at least twice in three days, it happened the previous week too if you'd care to look

I didnt even claim that though. My initial point was it unsual to go from freezing type temperatures to reallymild at this time of year so suddenly. 

No one is talking about 6 degrees warmer at night except you!

Even the weather people are saying its unsually mild. Ive gone from wearing three layers to one layer/t shirt in spacw of 24 hrs.

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

It rose by 6 degrees between 6pm and midnight twice last week you say? 

Using your own chart on the previous page that claim is not true.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Yes but what is your point? The change in conditions there is only differing by a few days. Its exactly the same change of conditions giving the same results only it took slightly longer. I'm not sure what you point is.

Again, what happened is perfectly normal, whether it takes 3 days or 5 isn't really relevant. Different areas of low pressure move at different speeds

It's normal

Genie and dem (I think?) said that it's bizarre for the weather to change so much, so quickly in December.  You've said that differing conditions do happen and that it isn't bizarre (not even rare!).  However, you haven't once showed a shift of 21 degrees in 3 days at any other point in any December which is what they're commenting on - the big change.

So, basically, they're right.  This particularly large shift in lows/highs isn't normal even if changing temperatures happen (which, obviously, they do).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Which was the unusual part of the original post 😉 

No, I said that it wasn't unusual for the temperature to rise at night compared to the day especially in winter

The diurnal temperature range was higher on the Friday than it was on the Sunday. The temperature Friday night was much higher than it was Friday morning.

It is perfectly possible for the temperature to be higher at night than in the daytime if as did happen at the weekend, a high pressure system with cold easterly air is moved away to be replaced by a westerly low pressure system with much warmer air from the Atlantic. The time of day and sunlight hours will have very little effect on that. This is normal

I'm really not sure why you aren't getting it

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

However, you haven't once showed a shift of 21 degrees in 3 days at any other point in any December which is what they're commenting on - the big change.

Actually no, this started with a claim of a shift of 18 degrees in 24 hours

This was always nonsense

I don't need to demonstrate a shift of 21 degrees in 3 days because quite frankly I can't be arsed searching through historical meteorological data to find an exact time it happened. That you appear to think that this is a sensible thing for anyone to be able to do, it isn't

Just now, bickster said:

Actually no, this started with a claim of a shift of 18 degrees in 24 hours

This was always nonsense

I don't need to demonstrate a shift of 21 degrees in 3 days because quite frankly I can't be arsed searching through historical meteorological data to find an exact time it happened. That you appear to think that this is a sensible think for anyone to be able to do, it isn't

Should be easy given that it's so common!

Dancing-trollface GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 minute ago, bickster said:

You really should try and understand the words you use. 

And you should probably stop being so pedantic when someone describes a sudden change in temperature as "bizarre" - but we are where we are :D

Just now, bickster said:

Its not remotely bizarre though, it's normal

But it isn't normal for a shift so large and so quick in December.  It's normal for shifts in temperature to happen, but not on the same scale that we've seen recently.

Anyway, I'll bow out of this fun here :D 

• Haha 1

Â