Getting older

villaguy

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

People on here were recently discussing Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

It was released 56 years ago.

John Lennon’s death in 1980 was closer to WWII than to today.

I remember our family getting excited at our first…. fridge.

One day, today will be the good old days.

If the first Back to the future movie was made now they’d go back to 1993. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

This is probably one for the 'often wonder' or 'don't get' threads, but... why is it that hearing aids are seen as more embarrassing than spectacles? 

More associated with old people I reckon.

Edited by Genie

48 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I went to the cinema today and saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

It was very loud.

That's a good thing. You'll need to start worrying if it's not very loud. 

The younger generation will have hearing loss catch up with relatively faster, given how loud they pump music directly into their ears.

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is probably one for the 'often wonder' or 'don't get' threads, but... why is it that hearing aids are seen as more embarrassing than spectacles? 

Better PR

Glasses used to be seen as nerdy when I was at school. At some point they got some good press and people changed their perception. Not sure what the trigger was? 

They’re a bit more fashionably flexible. They’re also seen as making people look more intelligent. You don’t think someone having a hearing aid looks more intelligent.

Glasses are also just sexier though aren’t they? 

Someone (normally women) can wear their glasses provocatively, i.e. pushed forwards a bit, eyebrows arched suggestively. They can be used as a flirty prop I guess.

You don’t see that in the movies with the unknowingly (yet clearly) attractive librarian. Ooh I’m going to seductively brush my hearing aid against my lips. Let me just fiddle it out of my ear and quickly glance at it to make sure there’s no wax on it…

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, phily85 said:

Today I got my appointment through for fitting hearing aids, I'm 37 😩 

Had them in my 40s. My hearing is very bad and getting worse. I don’t wear them as much as I should as I live in a noisy house and I would prefer not to curtail that. I also wear glasses. 

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Had them in my 40s. My hearing is very bad and getting worse. I don’t wear them as much as I should as I live in a noisy house and I would prefer not to curtail that. I also wear glasses. 

I didnt think my hearing was too bad I dont think I have the TV on particularly loud or anything, but the slightest bit of background noise and I cant hear a word that is being said.

My wife's particular favourite trick of starting a sentence and then turning around and walking the other way while finishing it and my having to ask her to repeat it, was what led me* to finally getting my hearing tested.

*100% my decision no threatening behaviour occured

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phily85 said:

I didnt think my hearing was too bad I dont think I have the TV on particularly loud or anything, but the slightest bit of background noise and I cant hear a word that is being said.

My wife's particular favourite trick of starting a sentence and then turning around and walking the other way while finishing it and my having to ask her to repeat it, was what led me* to finally getting my hearing tested.

*100% my decision no threatening behaviour occured

I could have written that, thats how I came to get my hearing tested, as an aside, the first time I wore them and turned the television on, I was alarmed at how loud I had it. The response from the family was, oh yeah, we know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YLN said:

My left ear gets tinnitus. My right ear gets severe shooting pains in it.

I suspect a hearing aid is in my future.

Funnily enough I'm right now sat in Bupa waiting for earwax removal. 

That may be your problem because that's exactly me. 

Edited by sidcow

7 hours ago, YLN said:

My left ear gets tinnitus. My right ear gets severe shooting pains in it.

I suspect a hearing aid is in my future.

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Funnily enough I'm right now sat in Bupa waiting for earwax removal. 

That may be your problem because that's exactly me. 

.I too get this, but it's caused by anxiety and stress. When I sleep I grind my jaw because of them, and it causes aches, pains, and tinnitus in my ears.

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Screenshot_2023-06-07-11-06-42-06_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

Thanks but for £55 I'll leave it in the hands of the experts.

Just had an absolute **** ton removed, and they couldn't get it all, I've got to continue on drops and go back again (for free) in 2 weeks for the rest to be done.

Sounds like someone has turned the volume up to eleven right now anyway though.

They don't syringe any more, they use a vacuum suction device to remove it.  It's not pleasant though.

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Thanks but for £55 I'll leave it in the hands of the experts.

Just had an absolute **** ton removed, and they couldn't get it all, I've got to continue on drops and go back again (for free) in 2 weeks for the rest to be done.

Sounds like someone has turned the volume up to eleven right now anyway though.

They don't syringe any more, they use a vacuum suction device to remove it.  It's not pleasant though.

Fair enough. I only get earwax occasionally, and the syringe works a treat. 

Â