Getting older

villaguy

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Life insurance/assurance I get, but pension? Wy would you opt out of that? if they contribute, its free money. Plus tax benefits as well. 

£150k is nothing in a pension pot. That'll get you naff all when you retire. 

True, but the £200 a month I should be paying in for anything half decent when I retire, I'd rather have now, I kinda wanna live for today.  We manage a savings account and have the 2nd property, so I think we will be okay.

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm 48 now and whilst I have planned for a hopefully long retirement, in terms of having a decent pension, I am certainly not taking it for granted and waiting until I retire to do things I can be doing now. 

Sorry to hear of your loss and experience’s of cancer etc.  Just happens so fast with some people. It’s upset Mrs F today, it really has.

We’re both 47 and very similar to you, want to enjoy ourselves now as much as plan for the future together. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Sorry to hear of your loss and experience’s of cancer etc.  Just happens so fast with some people. It’s upset Mrs F today, it really has.

We’re both 47 and very similar to you, want to enjoy ourselves now as much as plan for the future together. 

Cheers mate. I think one of the most upsetting things with both my dad and mother in law is that they got no retirement and were both still working when they found out they had cancer and then went so quickly there was no time to do any of the things they were holding off on doing or had planned for retirements that never came.

I think it is easy to say to live for the moment and enjoy life whilst you can but unfortunately life isn't ever that simple is it for most of us as there is a mortgage/bills to pay, children to bring up etc. As far as is possible though within financial constraints we try to do as much of the stuff we enjoy doing now rather than kicking it down the line to a time that we may never see. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Only got it through work. Pay pennies and got substantial death in service, critical illness, income protection, accident insurance and BUPA care. 

One of the benefits of working in the financial services area. 

If i had to pay regular prices then I probably wouldn't bother as I have no dependants. 

I have all the same through work too. Took them out when I got married and increased the premiums when the lad was born. 

Personally I'd rather waste a little bit of money each year having them and not needing them then the worst happen, desperately need them and not have them. Gives a lot of comfort knowing if anything did happen to me that my son is taken care of financially. 

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

True, but the £200 a month I should be paying in for anything half decent when I retire, I'd rather have now, I kinda wanna live for today.  We manage a savings account and have the 2nd property, so I think we will be okay.

You losing your employees contributions and the 20% tax rebate (40% if your a high earner) and any interest made on the investment . In my case that's a return of 25% per year ( I have no employee contributions).

Even property doesn't return that well. The money saving expert forums are a gold mine for pension strategies. One guy has remortgaged his house to pay into his pension, 20% of 200k is 40k and his mortgage interest is less than the  interest he makes on the 240k in his pension. 

I get the live for today mentality but the chances are heavily in favour of us  living until retirement, unless your a Russian soldier .

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Life insurance/assurance I get, but pension? Wy would you opt out of that? if they contribute, its free money. Plus tax benefits as well. 

£150k is nothing in a pension pot. That'll get you naff all when you retire. 

Retire? Whats this retire you speak of? The way the cost of living is going not many can afford to retire !!

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanka for the advice guys its just me and missus no kids so am abit on the fence about life insurance

This is me and my thoughts Dem. If I die the house is paid for. My life insurance will be extra and give my wife peace of mind and ease any financial pressures. Loss of a partner is bad enough without having any additional worries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

This is me and my thoughts Dem. If I die the house is paid for. My life insurance will be extra and give my wife peace of mind and ease any financial pressures. Loss of a partner is bad enough without having any additional worries. 

Yep, I’m worth more dead than alive.

It’s why I do all the cooking.

Although as a counter to that, with the mortgage now dropping to close to ‘pay offable’ levels, this might get reviewed in the next couple of years.

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, I’m worth more dead than alive.

It’s why I do all the cooking.

Although as a counter to that, with the mortgage now dropping to close to ‘pay offable’ levels, this might get reviewed in the next couple of years.

I agree, life insurance will end, I think I have a year on the policy if I checked it. It's not forever but it's one of those things that I seem to always have paid into. A bonus if it is never used. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I have all the same through work too. Took them out when I got married and increased the premiums when the lad was born. 

Personally I'd rather waste a little bit of money each year having them and not needing them then the worst happen, desperately need them and not have them. Gives a lot of comfort knowing if anything did happen to me that my son is taken care of financially. 

I've used the BUPA a couple of times so that has paid for itself multiple times and the income protection just adds a bit of comfort in case I get really ill and can't work for a long time. Hopefully never need it but like you say, but nice to have in case the worse happens. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Retire? Whats this retire you speak of? The way the cost of living is going not many can afford to retire !!

Its the only thing keeping me going! If someone said i'd have to work until 70, i'd be off to Beachy Head this afternoon!

Aiming to be be done by early to mid 50s. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanka for the advice guys its just me and missus no kids so am abit on the fence about life insurance

The question you'd need to ask is if anything happened to you, could your missus pay the mortgage? If not maybe worth looking at getting something to cover the mortgage at least. 

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've used the BUPA a couple of times so that has paid for itself multiple times and the income protection just adds a bit of comfort in case I get really ill and can't work for a long time. Hopefully never need it but like you say, but nice to have in case the worse happens. 

I've used Bupa a few time through work too and saved a fortune. Had about 4 or 5 MRIs checking my brain (easy joke but apparently I do have one) and they're probably about £2k each. 

• Like 1

I use Beneden Health as a much cheaper alternative to Bupa.  It pays something like £1800 towards the cost of diagnosing any problem you have.  Once you have a diagnosis the NHS treatment then follows. Its a great way to get quicker treatment.  

There are a lot of other benefits.  For example, they offer immediate phone consultation with a GP, physiotherapy and they undertake some operations which aren't available on the NHS. 

It's well worth a look.  

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Ask your NHS doctor

I see a problem there. I'm more likely to have a appointment to ride Shergar with Lord Lucan than speak to a Dr at my surgery :D 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Xela said:

I see a problem there. I'm more likely to have a appointment to ride Shergar with Lord Lucan than speak to a Dr at my surgery :D 

You live in Sutton Coldfield don't you mate? The natives there could all do themselves a favour, and the NHS as a whole, by ceasing to vote Tory. 

Edited by markavfc40

2 hours ago, Xela said:

The sooner GPs are replaced with Google the better!

Â