What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

I have an old E36, 320i coupe for a restoration project. 

Anyone have any recommendations that takes on such projects? 

No immediate completion date required, Open to suggestions for the upgrade/improvements for the project.

• Like 1

No immediate completion date required, Open to suggestions for the upgrade/improvements for the project.

There is a chap down in West Sussex who restores E series BMWs. My mate had a lot of work done on an E30 320i and it is absolutely immaculate. He has just had the old style hex spoiler put on his and that has pretty much finished the job. Happy to get the contact if you're close or distance is of no concern. 

Assuming the car is rust free, have you considered doing it yourself? I bought an Alfa quite a few months back that had been sitting for a while with the intention of getting help and I've ended up doing most of it myself. Cost me a few bob mind but it's very satisfying. So much info on car forums these days you can certainly do some of it.  

Test drove a Volvo V40 DS2 SE today, I must say I was pretty impressed with it, being the 115bhp version (with zero road tax too). My one criticism though is that it could do with a bit more oomph. There is a 2 litre 150bhp version but I'd have preferred something in between really.

Then again, 150bhp.................mmmm.   B)

There is a chap down in West Sussex who restores E series BMWs. My mate had a lot of work done on an E30 320i and it is absolutely immaculate. He has just had the old style hex spoiler put on his and that has pretty much finished the job. Happy to get the contact if you're close or distance is of no concern. 

Assuming the car is rust free, have you considered doing it yourself? I bought an Alfa quite a few months back that had been sitting for a while with the intention of getting help and I've ended up doing most of it myself. Cost me a few bob mind but it's very satisfying. So much info on car forums these days you can certainly do some of it.  

Thanks for that but would be a tad out the way with a transporter. Would love to have a go myself but haven't got the time or space really + would be afraid of butchering it.

Ideally West/East Mids or the surrounding Shires. 

Thanks Again anyway pal.

• 3 weeks later...

So what turned out to be a completely random, fun purchase has actually now become my daily driver. The Porsche went a few weeks ago and the Jag was sold today, leaving just my F150 truck. Got to say, I love this beast.

Had some mods done since I picked it up from the showroom, so here's the before and after pics.

Before:

IMG_20150330_175553_1.jpg

After:

IMG_20150528_201524.jpg

IMG_20150528_182508.jpg

IMG_20150528_174819.jpg

Something I'd never contemplate owning in Blighty, so I've let my inner hillbilly/ chav out and I'm bloody chuffed to bits!

On the look out for a sporty number to sit in the empty space now!

• Like 4

I would love a big pick up. F150 or a Dodge Ram. But in this country it would be utterly impractical. I doubt it would even fit in the car park at work!

Exactly. One of the reasons why I bought mine, as it's certainly not something I could own in the UK.

• 1 month later...

Changed my mind about which car to buy with the little on the way.  I was thinking of getting an Audi A3 on finance but thinking of selling the Mini and upgrading to BMW 320d.  Probably a 2010/11.  After years of moaning about BMW drivers I may end up being one!  Wondering when is the best time to buy a used car?  Should I wait for the new reg cars to come out in September?

I am under constant (though admittedly low level) pressure to buy something like this.

Friends of ours, in their early 50's, recently bought an ex AA van, hand painted it and basically stuck a mattress in the back and disappeared to Devon for 3 weeks. For a while I wouldn't have been surprised to get home one evening and find the missus had bought an ice cream van or a VW transporter or some such.

I think the idea of a camper of any sort is far more alluring than the practical reality. I think once you get one it's nowhere near as idyllic as it would seem.

Changed my mind about which car to buy with the little on the way.  I was thinking of getting an Audi A3 on finance but thinking of selling the Mini and upgrading to BMW 320d.  Probably a 2010/11.  After years of moaning about BMW drivers I may end up being one!  Wondering when is the best time to buy a used car?  Should I wait for the new reg cars to come out in September?

Treat yourself, You've done well this year pal  ;)  

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/audi-s8-4-0tfsi-quattro-512bhp-heated-leather-sports-seats-nav-bose-sound-system-2252041?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=07262015&utm_campaign=Daily%2BHot 

http://www.fleetprices.co.uk

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

Â