What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

It struck me as one of those cars that had an element of cool amongst a small quirky number of middle aged wannabe hipsters and it got cooler the older and more battered it got. Along the lines of a Landie Defender, a chunky 80's Mercedes or a big square Volvo estate designed on graph paper.

Also the standard car of the muesli-eating yogurt-knitting New England lesbian.

• Like 1

Quick question guys. Yesterday I was made aware a van had bumped into my parked car. The van has drove away but some kind neighbors have his registration and company details. There is a dent above my front passenger wheel. I have a friend who owns a unit which works on bodywork. Is it best I contact them and recommend my friends garage or go through my insurance? I'm worried it will affect my no Claims.

Find out the cost of repair. If mates rates makes it cheap enough to avoid the hassle, its annoying but that's possibly the way to go.

Also, how good is the no claims? Is it protected so you've got a 'free claim' as it were without losing your no claims? What's your threshold for claims? If you have to pay the first £200 due to your excess and the repair costs £250 you might as well pay it all and leave the insurance alone?

You need to get a quick estimate from your mate and read up what insurance you actually have.

Find out the cost of repair. If mates rates makes it cheap enough to avoid the hassle, its annoying but that's possibly the way to go.

Also, how good is the no claims? Is it protected so you've got a 'free claim' as it were without losing your no claims? What's your threshold for claims? If you have to pay the first £200 due to your excess and the repair costs £250 you might as well pay it all and leave the insurance alone?

You need to get a quick estimate from your mate and read up what insurance you actually have.

But why would it be excess? Surely it would be his as it's 100% his fault. My car was parked and he bumped into it. Surely the claim won't affect my no Claims or excess?

But why would it be excess? Surely it would be his as it's 100% his fault. My car was parked and he bumped into it. Surely the claim won't affect my no Claims or excess?

why?

Personal experience.

Different insurers have different attitudes and different small print and once you are dealing with them, with some of them, logic doesn't always win the day. I've been with Axa for a few years - they aren't the cheapest, but if and when there's a question or a claim they play it straight. Excellent no quibble service for me.

I found the AA on the other hand, started pulling out sub clauses from an early draft of the magna carta to dick me about with. You're right, you shouldn't need to worry about no claims and excess but have a quick read up on what you've got first. I'm absolutely no insurance expert, I just know after 30 years of driving that what looks like a straightforward policy sometimes isn't.

Perhaps phone the number of the company of the van and have a word. if you get an instant confession and apology they might want to just give you a quick bit of cash to close it down. Equally, they might claim absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You'll get an idea of how awkward they will try and be?

Anyway, best of luck, it's a pain in the nuts.

Perhaps phone the number of the company of the van and have a word. if you get an instant confession and apology they might want to just give you a quick bit of cash to close it down.

If there are witnesses to the van doing it, then that's a massive help for you either via insurance or other means.

I've twice had a parked car hit - the first time by a bus, the police turned up and didn't want to get involved, wierdly. I ended up paying for the repair myself, because of the excess etc.

Second time my car was hit by a Police car, and because the Copper was good as gold, it cost me nowt on NCD or in cash. The policeman left a note saying "whilst chasing a crim I hot your car, please get in touch..."

The clear admittance of fault meant I was OK - so ditto if you have witnesses it massively helps your cause to get it sorted via the insurance

should be confirming an order for a 420i M sport on monday

get it at the end of march

they've offered me one they've got in stock, assuming a 64 plate, can have it by the end of the week, same price, slightly different spec, downgrade on the media (smaller screen and no split screen) upgrade on the wheels

same price

the car that im trading has front wheels that wont last until the end of march so i'll have to pay to replace them if i wait, not sure whether to wait or if to take the car now

The missus has upgraded her 1.2 A1 to a 1.4 s-line version. Looking forward to trying it, her old one went like lightning anyway!

Incidentally she got them down from a 3 grand deposit for a 64 plate to a 1 grand deposit for a 15 plate. Slight increase on her monthly payments but that would have been the same regardless of the deposit.

Girl done well!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Amazing how useful tits are in negotiations.

Is it the high power 1.4 or the low power one? Big difference. Its a lovely car I adore ours.

Edited by Eames
  • Like 1

Test drove a Q7- S-line, Sports Edition at the weekend after driving Bimmers for the last 15yrs or so. 

The latest fluttering of mass biblical 10mm snow covering has finally done my nut in!

Â