What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

My mate's brand new Qashqai is nice but I'm not sure if it's car of the year material as seems to be the case with almost every reviewer.

I'm now in a bit of a quandary. I'm halfway through buying the Auris hybrid tourer but I've had a very competitive quote from a Seat dealer, to the point of they're almost the same price.

So it's a Leon ST SE 1.2 TSI DSG or an Auris Touring Sports hybrid Icon+

Now really confused. The Leon's review better (incredibly well in fact) but I'm not sure I trust motoring journalists.

My A1 is a 1.4 and its a mad man..... although in a car like the Leon 1.2 doesn't sound very pokey - that said....you were buying a hybrid so I'm assuming getting from A to B efficiently rather than quickly is the key.

The 1.2 TSI is a turbocharged 1.2 petrol. 110 PS and 0-62 in 10.1 seconds. The Auris is 0-62 in 10.9 seconds. That's quick enough to make reasonable progress on today's traffic ensnared roads. I currently have an Octavia vRS and never get to enjoy any of its benefits because of the high cost, risk and futility of driving quick. I want a comfortable family cruiser.

I'm no speed demon by any means, I'm talking from the perspective of having a wife who owned a 1.0l 2009 corsa.. it took about half an hour to get up Mucklows hill in 2nd!

From that point, I've always been wary of engine size to weight of car ratios :lol:

I'm sure it'll be more than good enough to get about.  I had a 1.4l 2002 Fiesta and it was like a little go cart :)

• Like 1

Many many years ago we had a little Citroen AX, but it was a 1.4 turbo (it had one of those stupid badges on the back, it was like a 1.4 TZIxi GT EX PL super special LX i S t ) 

The car weighed approximately 8 kilos as the seats were just one piece moulded foam and most body panels were flimsy plastic. The glass in the side windows was so thin it would sometimes spontaneously burst when parked in direct sunlight on really hot days.

The combination of no weight, 1.4 turbo and skinny tyres was relentless wheel spin and steering wheel wrestling.

Loved it.

I wanted a Subaru Forester for years. Nearly got one a couple of times, the big old boxy ones with a shiny light grey or shiny brown plastic interior.  

But the running costs were just eye watering. Very reliable apparently, but if something, anything, went wrong with it the only viable choice was to tow it to some country lanes and torch it and claim the insurance. 

It struck me as one of those cars that had an element of cool amongst a small quirky number of middle aged wannabe hipsters and it got cooler the older and more battered it got. Along the lines of a Landie Defender, a chunky 80's Mercedes or a big square Volvo estate designed on graph paper.

The were a kind of hidden secret for ages. Rock solid build quality, decent to drive, brilliant in mud, snow, off road even. Not cheap, and not too economical, but absolutely perfect for people who needed the 4 wheel drive, capacityand so on. They were rare and because of their brilliant reliability and longevity kept their value really well. Then the Chelsea tractor drivers cottoned on to them..

They are really, really good motors, though.

Â