What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

On a serious note, why? I've been toying with getting one as my next car though that's a few years away currently. 

The range is a lie and whoever designed it clearly never drove it afterwards. So many stupid niggles. Never remembers your preferences and you WILL want to turn off the lane assist as it’s **** dangerous. So so many stupid design features (failure to backlight the temp and volume controls so at night you just deafen yourself rather than warm up, touch controls on wheel that you will definitely accidentally touch when you steer), voice control is a joke, the Auto Unlock thing can be useful with arms full of shopping and babies, but then you will usually just accidentally unlock your car straight after you lock it, not having climate control buttons but doing it through the infotainment is so annoying, the infotainment itself takes forever to warm up and sometimes you’ll get in and try to change the temp but the temp will be “unavailable”. I absolutely hate it, worst car Ive owned and I’ve owned a Jeep Wrangler that only sometimes worked.

want to buy mine?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

The range is a lie and whoever designed it clearly never drove it afterwards. So many stupid niggles. Never remembers your preferences and you WILL want to turn off the lane assist as it’s **** dangerous. So so many stupid design features (failure to backlight the temp and volume controls so at night you just deafen yourself rather than warm up, touch controls on wheel that you will definitely accidentally touch when you steer), voice control is a joke, the Auto Unlock thing can be useful with arms full of shopping and babies, but then you will usually just accidentally unlock your car straight after you lock it, not having climate control buttons but doing it through the infotainment is so annoying, the infotainment itself takes forever to warm up and sometimes you’ll get in and try to change the temp but the temp will be “unavailable”. I absolutely hate it, worst car Ive owned and I’ve owned a Jeep Wrangler that only sometimes worked.

I can feel the anger and frustration in that post!

The lack of physical buttons in new cars have grates on me. Everything through the touchscreen is a nightmare, and more dangerous. 

Give me Jaeger/Smiths analogue dials and switches like cold nipples any day of the week!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The lack of physical buttons in new cars have grates on me. Everything through the touchscreen is a nightmare, and more dangerous. 

Give me Jaeger/Smiths analogue dials and switches like cold nipples any day of the week!

Tesla had to do a massive recall (one of many) because there was a potential issue with the touchscreen which meant the driver couldn’t potentially get to the button to demist the windscreen. 

Wouldn’t be a problem the old way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Tesla had to do a massive recall (one of many) because there was a potential issue with the touchscreen which meant the driver couldn’t potentially get to the button to demist the windscreen. 

Wouldn’t be a problem the old way. 

I’d usually resist saying something on the lines of the old way is better but a lot of this shit is “progress” for progress sake. WHY does temperature control have to be through a touchscreen computer? And it is genuinely dangerous doing it all through the screen. Rather than just reaching for a dial you’re instead navigating a menu through several sub menus whilst probably accidentally turning on some bullshit no one ever needed or wanted, accidentally brushing your steering wheel and turning on your cruise control in the meantime and nearly going through the windscreen because your car just slammed the breaks on when there is literally nothing in front of you.

GRRRRRRR

Edited by Spoony

28 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’d usually resist saying something on the lines of the old way is better but a lot of this shit is “progress” for progress sake. WHY does temperature control have to be through a touchscreen computer? And it is genuinely dangerous doing it all through the screen. Rather than just reaching for a dial you’re instead navigating a menu through several sub menus whilst probably accidentally turning on some bullshit no one ever needed or wanted, accidentally brushing your steering wheel and turning on your cruise control in the meantime and nearly going through the windscreen because your car just slammed the breaks on when there is literally nothing in front of you.

GRRRRRRR

Purely design driven I think. De clutter the dash and have 1 touch screen for everything.

I agree with you though, there should be a happy medium.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

GRRRRRRR

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

Purely design driven I think. De clutter the dash and have 1 touch screen for everything.

I agree with you though, there should be a happy medium.

It's simply that it's cheaper to put in 1 touchscreen than multiple dials, buttons and switches. 

But literally everyone HATES it and it is dangerous. I have to spend far more time looking down at the screen faffing about than just turning a dial like in the good old days. 

• Like 3

I'll contribute to this complaining about 'progress' by adding "Driving Aids" which can be a safety hazard.

I have a Kia EV6 which has lane assist on as standard and can only be turned off EVERY time you get in the car. Forget and you may find your car decides to randomly shove you across the road on country lanes as it can`t read the road markings, or do the same on the multiple roundabouts and roadmarks in the city. The feature is useful for motorway driving but dangerous in every day conditions.

It's also ridiculously over zealous on other warnings; screaming and steering wheel vibrating when I put it in reverse so people can see I want to come out of a space but am not just mindlessly reversing, or doing the same as I move from the fast lane to the middle lane on a motorway but there is a car in the slow lane...

I like gadgets and tech that makes life easier, but it should be a choice.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'll contribute to this complaining about 'progress' by adding "Driving Aids" which can be a safety hazard.

I have a Kia EV6 which has lane assist on as standard and can only be turned off EVERY time you get in the car. Forget and you may find your car decides to randomly shove you across the road on country lanes as it can`t read the road markings, or do the same on the multiple roundabouts and roadmarks in the city. The feature is useful for motorway driving but dangerous in every day conditions.

It's also ridiculously over zealous on other warnings; screaming and steering wheel vibrating when I put it in reverse so people can see I want to come out of a space but am not just mindlessly reversing, or doing the same as I move from the fast lane to the middle lane on a motorway but there is a car in the slow lane...

I like gadgets and tech that makes life easier, but it should be a choice.

i had a sportage hire car earlier in the year and know exactly what you mean, i was doing a 90 minute drive home and towards the end its 7.30pm 12 hour long day you can imagine where my head and concentration is....and the car just randomly out of the blue is fighting me over the steering wheel because the lane assist is kicking in and tries to point the car in a different direction

like you say its dangerous

nice car though! i had a quick look at the EV6 and unfortunately just couldnt get it work

Unfortunately, if lane keep assist could be turned off completely the car would be in a higher insurance group, lower NCAP rating. This is why manufacturers have to have it on as default.

Are you guys changing lane without indicating? In my experience if you indicate then the car doesn’t fight it as it recognises it’s a conscious lane switch. The problem that does often upset it though is when old markings or badly covered ones in roadworks confuse the hell out of it.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Unfortunately, if lane keep assist could be turned off completely the car would be in a higher insurance group, lower NCAP rating. This is why manufacturers have to have it on as default.

Are you guys changing lane without indicating? In my experience if you indicate then the car doesn’t fight it as it recognises it’s a conscious lane switch. The problem that does often upset it though is when old markings or badly covered ones in roadworks confuse the hell out of it.

Slip-roads and generally complicated road markings plus as you say old or badly maintained ones.  Plus indicating back into your lane after an overtake is not a requirement as the manouver is a given (non-motorway).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Country roads are where they’re at their worst. They just can’t comprehend that the roads are narrow or just can’t figure out where the middle and side is so likes to veer you into the middle of the road to assist you in crashing into oncoming traffic. Also when you’re coming up to or driving past turnings off a road it can freak out about the new markings and again try and shove you somewhere else. And then there are the occasional times where you go over a line to avoid an obstacle, pothole, whatever and it tries to wrestle you into the object you’re trying to avoid. It’s appallingly shit and dangerous tech.

Also adaptive cruise control is **** shit. My car will randomly be like “50mph detected” on a motorway where there is no 50mph limit in effect and happily and very suddenly slam on the breaks. 

• Like 2

These brand new cars trying to be as ultrasafe (very much air quotes) as they can possibly be, are being designed for some perfect dystopian hellhole vision of the future where every single road is a motorway and we're being ferried around in perfect grid formation by self-driving cars. Not every road is a motorway. Far from it. Funnily enough I also had a rented Sportage a while back and it really was an exercise in cramming absolutely every bit of 'cleverness' (read : **** annoyance) into the one car. It even did the Microsoft windows close down noise when you turned off the car, as if to remind you you were driving a computer.  The lane assist was definitely the most egregious in your face 'feature' it had, but it had everything. No thank you.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Country roads are where they’re at their worst. They just can’t comprehend that the roads are narrow or just can’t figure out where the middle and side is so likes to veer you into the middle of the road to assist you in crashing into oncoming traffic. Also when you’re coming up to or driving past turnings off a road it can freak out about the new markings and again try and shove you somewhere else. And then there are the occasional times where you go over a line to avoid an obstacle, pothole, whatever and it tries to wrestle you into the object you’re trying to avoid. It’s appallingly shit and dangerous tech.

Also adaptive cruise control is **** shit. My car will randomly be like “50mph detected” on a motorway where there is no 50mph limit in effect and happily and very suddenly slam on the breaks. 

Exactly this regarding country lanes. The EV6 is a big car so on some bends, even at a snails pace, you'll go over the markings and the and the car will try to drive you in to the verge! I've now just got in to the habit of turning it off the second I get in the car, like two ignition buttons - first one to drive, second one to be in control!

As for the start up/shut down tune like Windows... I quite like it!

The EV6 is a great car in the main, the issues surround what they're doing to all modern cars really in that control is being eroded and the car makes most of the decisions, from lights and wipers, to braking and direction... but then I always wanted KITT, so maybe careful what you wish for!

4 hours ago, Genie said:

The motorway scenario is with the indicator on. If you indicate to move but there's a car on the inside lane, the car beeps and vibrates the steering wheel to warn you not to make the maneuver. Annoying because sometimes you're just showing your intention so a space opens up on a busy motorway. But it's most irritating when it does the same about a lane you have to intention of going in to, eg moving from fast in to completely empty middle lane but it thinks you're going to carry on going in to the occupied slow lane. Not intelligent enough, should respond to maneuver not the indicator.

That one, unlike lane assist, I'm not sure I can turn off at all.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Wasn't sure where best put this. @BOFmay appreciate it though - a WRC driver takes the group B Metro for a run on an Irish rally stage.

Nope.

nope-danny-de-vito.gif

Hey that looks fun! That speed wouldn't worry me, but that speed in a **** Metro might. I once did a weekend rally driving course. Great fun, but **** exhausting. Completely different to track racing. 

Â