What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Wasn't sure where best put this. @BOFmay appreciate it though - a WRC driver takes the group B Metro for a run on an Irish rally stage.

Nope.

nope-danny-de-vito.gif

Shat myself just watching that, the driver clearly isn't afraid of death. How much BHP do you think that is pushing out 300+? Looks to be hitting the redline at 10,000 rpm!. Has to be game over if he rolls it.

17 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Shat myself just watching that, the driver clearly isn't afraid of death. How much BHP do you think that is pushing out 300+? Looks to be hitting the redline at 10,000 rpm!. Has to be game over if he rolls it.

Iirc it was 400 odd BHP. It's got a 3l Cosworth V6 mounted backwards in the middle, 4 wheel drive, and it's mostly made out of fibreglass so it goes like a shit house rat. Unfortunately if you did crash it at full chat it wouldn't end well, big engine in a tiny car with basically no safety features... Yeah.

It's no surprise they banned Group B rally cars. Awesome, but terrifying. And they ended up killing a load of people.

They had some reasonable safety features for the time, the crash itself probably wouldn't be too bad with the roll cage. It's a death trap from a fire perspective though, thing goes up like a tinderbox

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They had some reasonable safety features for the time, the crash itself probably wouldn't be too bad with the roll cage. It's a death trap from a fire perspective though, thing goes up like a tinderbox

Indeed. Although the cars were known for favouring weight and speed over safety, meaning things like rollcages, etc where far weaker than you'd want.

The Lancia Delta crash that was the final straw comes to mind. Went up like Hindenburg. By the time anyone got to the crash there was nothing left.

Edited by Chindie

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Just bought a 12-month-old Puma ST with all the options except a tow bar. In "Mean Green".

It's basically a 4-wheeled midlife crisis.

Is it an ST as in tuned up, or what Ford have started doing, an ST as a trim level with some badges and a bog standard eco engine?

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

a trim level with some badges and a bog standard eco engine?

The German brands do this as well now - M-Sport, S-Line, AMG-Line. Not a fan of it. One for the piss you off but shouldn't thread! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The German brands do this as well now - M-Sport, S-Line, AMG-Line. Not a fan of it. One for the piss you off but shouldn't thread! 

I don’t get it personally.

Ford built a brand with ST being the bad boy, tuned up street racers. Then watered it right down by sticking the badge on a car with a 100ps 3 cylinder engine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Is it an ST as in tuned up, or what Ford have started doing, an ST as a trim level with some badges and a bog standard eco engine?

Tuned up. They offer ST-Line and ST-Line X, which are as you describe. This is the one upon which Sebastien Loeb's WRC car is based.

Still a 1.5 Ecoboost engine but 200PS (without having it mapped) and with the performance pack it has a Quaife limited slip diff. It's good for 0-60 in 6.7secs.

It sounds outrageous in Sport mode too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Tuned up. They offer ST-Line and ST-Line X, which are as you describe. This is the one upon which Sebastien Loeb's WRC car is based.

Still a 1.5 Ecoboost engine but 200PS (without having it mapped) and with the performance pack it has a Quaife limited slip diff. It's good for 0-60 in 6.7secs.

It sounds outrageous in Sport mode too.

Wow, that sounds amazing 👌 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Off to pick up my car - never had a new car and I’m super nervous and excited at the same time. I’ve only ever driven old cars so any knocks (which never happened!) wouldn’t have bothered me. This though!? 😬

Enjoy mate. I’ve had a couple of brand new cars over the years. The thing that would scare me was the rate at which the mileage was going up. 

27 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Off to pick up my car - never had a new car and I’m super nervous and excited at the same time. I’ve only ever driven old cars so any knocks (which never happened!) wouldn’t have bothered me. This though!? 😬

It'll be gutting if it happens, but at the end of the day it's only paint! Enjoy it. What have you gone for?

You probably already know, but maybe not if it's your first; read up on the engine break in period for your model and treat the engine gently for it

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It'll be gutting if it happens, but at the end of the day it's only paint! Enjoy it. What have you gone for?

You probably already know, but maybe not if it's your first; read up on the engine break in period for your model and treat the engine gently for it

Is breaking in an engine still a thing

8 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Is breaking in an engine still a thing

Still recommended by most if not all manufacturers, as far as I know, and with the increasing telemetry in cars, I wouldn't take the risk of having an early engine failure in the warranty pinned on me for not following the guidance

• Like 1

Yeah I read up on breaking the engine in, I went for a Skoda Scala - mainly because I now need a family car and something decent with fuel + I start a new job which is a commute, tested it a few times and liked it (tested others too) and it just felt right for me.

• Like 2

Â