Brad Guzan

R.Bear

On a stupid tangent: is his name really pronounced goo-zan?

I know it obviously seems like it must be since the commentary always says it that way, but they are clueless most of the time and I also knew of someone with the name Guzan who pronounced their name 'Guzzan' (to rhyme with 'cousin').

But what would it say to Given if after the first time he misses a game for us he gets dropped for the 2nd choice keeper?
Depends how long he's dropped for. There's no reason to keep him benched for the rest of the season, but for 2-3 games McLeish could easily spin it as 'wanting to make sure you're match ready' or similar for Given.

I thought the "making sure he's match ready" spin would have been the wisest thing to do and what he would have done, kinda feel for Guzan.

Given is our number 1 keeper - simple.

Brad did very well when Given was out which is great, but if Given is fit AMc needs to play him unless he becomes a liability to the team.

Given was in good form when he was injured and should simply regain his rightful place.

AMc made the right decision starting Given and I'm not sure we'd have got a point if Guzan had been between the sticks today.

its another example our managers inept man management skills, his wording is all this has been wrong, as well as his actions, he is now responsible for us losing probably the best 2nd choice keeper in the league

given is a good keeper, but hes 35, guzan has been brill over the past 7 games, hes only 27, he should not of been dropped straight away, simply unfair, we will now lose him for nothing in a few months as he will go else where, and there will be enough clubs interested to make him number 1 after seeing him play the last 7 games

with no money to replace him, randy isnt going to want to spend money on a bench player, what do we do? marshall is far too old, we just let go our 'third' place keeper, so theres nobody

clever planning by AMc!

maybe so, im not doubting givens ability, hes been one of the best for years, a great keeper in fact, but whos to say what would of happened if brad had played? and to be fair, just because given was back fit, he shouldnt of gone straight in

yesderday has just made brads mind up for him

• 1 month later...
Mat Kendrick @MatKendrick

Brad Guzan has been offered a new contract by #avfc and is mulling it over. Full story in tomorrow's Birmingham Mail

8)

I hope he signs. We have a '9 out of 10' keeper in Given and a 7/10 (potential for 8/10 in Guzan. I think that's a pretty good keeper situation for us and one that most Premier League clubs would like.

I see no reason why he would. Surely he wants to play regular football?

I'm sure he'll explore all his options which would include getting paid well for training hard and waiting for his big chance at Villa or dropping down a division and playing for less money at a smaller club. I imagine it will be a genuine dilemma (not being sarcastic), but there are worse worries in life! It may rest on if he has a chance of being first choice for USA. If he thinks Tim Howard will be first choice for a few years yet he may stop at Villa. I'm not sure playing all the games in the Championship would add much to his stock as the USA would be well aware of his abilities anyway.

Be really good if he signs but not a nightmare if he doesn't.

Definitely an Premier League quality keeper. He deserves to be starting somewhere.

I agree about Guzan being a competent Premier League keeper but it would take a brave and knowledgeable Premier League manager to buy Villa's number two keeper as his number one. I imagine a decent size Championship club would see Guzan as less of a risk.

Ideally for Villa we'll keep Guzan as a more than capable standby behind a continuingly impressive Given. Whether that suits Brad is up to him; we'll see in the summer. I don't see any shame or lack of ambition if Guzan stays with us.

i would like to see guzan as our no1, and if given was dropped for guzan, i wouldnt mind

but this isnt to say that i dont rate given, hes still a top keeper, but by the time givens contract is us, guzan will be 30, is he prepared to wait til then?

if were building towards the future which we have been for 10 yrs already, then guzan certainly needs more games

I hope he signs. We have a '9 out of 10' keeper in Given and a 7/10 (potential for 8/10 in Guzan. I think that's a pretty good keeper situation for us and one that most Premier League clubs would like.

complimented by a 3/10 defence :(

complimented by a 3/10 defence :(

:drowsy:

Â