General Chat

Stevo985

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

What's the story with 'common law partner' in Britain?  One definition of common law is that it "refers to a person who is living in a conjugal relationship with another person (opposite or same sex), and has done so continuously for a period of at least one year".  If that definition applied in Britain then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he would take on some (i.e. more than zero) responsibility for the kids aswell.  Definitely something to get clarified before it bites you in the ass.

From the CAB

Essentially unless he has signed a "cohabitation contract" or similar he has no responsibility whatsoever for her or the children.

• Like 1

Just had a meeting about some energy compliance stuff I'm doing.

I've had my eyes opened to just how complicated it can be to get someone from director level to sign off on a piece of work from which the results will be given to a regulatory body.

Legal, POA's, validation, personal liability.. the works. just to get a guy to sign a piece of paper, to cover him legally should the work be found to be wrong.

First time I've ever really been involved in a project of this nature (managing it in fact, which I'm quite proud of, as it's going okay) and the amount of technicalities/jargon involved in different processes is mind boggling for me.

The guy we spoke to (whilst it's his job) just seemed so relaxed about it, but knowledgeable at the same time.  I feel the amount of responsibility that is on his shoulders with not just this work, but lots of other things, must be pretty big.

1 hour ago, ismail-villa said: Bought a ps vita last month from PlayAsia and just last week FedEx sent a letter telling me to pay £42 for duty and handling charges (£12 for handling! WTF). Was wondering what would happen if I just ignore it, would they send warning letters? Or would they forget? Or would shit hit the fan.

Something similar happened to me when I bought my Wii U from there. Granted I think I was paying for the price of having that huge box delivered. It also did come in only 2 days which was great.

Were the consoles particularly cheap? Playasia is based in Hong Kong so I'd expect pretty high delivery costs.

I paid £15 for FedEx economy delivery. Receiving this letter is like slapping in the face with their cock.

You should consider yourself lucky they just send the letter afterwards. Royal Mail hold your parcel hostage until you pay it.

Best to look up any fees before having stuff shipped from outside the EU, it only catches you out once.

Questions about Brum on Pointless. Got them all, and would have gone with the lowest scoring answer.

Anyone who wants to have a go...

Name of the main train station?

Name of the test cricket ground?

Name of the comedian who starred in The Detectives?

Name of the band who's song was the first played on Radio 1?

Name of the former Lord Mayor, who went on to be Prime Minister? 

• Like 1

Could have only answered the top three, have now googled the answers for the bottom two- interesting, I would never have got them.

Of the ones I knew, I'd have guessed "the detectives" question was the lowest scoring.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

Could have only answered the top three, have now googled the answers for the bottom two- interesting, I would never have got them.

Of the ones I knew, I'd have guessed "the detectives" was the lowest scoring.

That was actually the top scoring answer! Bottom one was the lowest, and the second bottom, the second lowest. 

Yeah, I'd have gone for the PM one. The old dears did well. Got to the final, and turned down the Royal Family in favour of F1, and gave three decent (but not pointless) answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

Questions about Brum on Pointless. Got them all, and would have gone with the lowest scoring answer.

I haven't Mooneyed the answers, and I'd be educated guessing at the band  - the Move? and also at Neville Chamberlain? the first 3 I'd expect most people to know (wherever they're from) as they're current or currentish things, rather than historical. Though I suppose cricket isn't maybe everyone's general knowledge, but it is often on the news n'that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

I haven't Mooneyed the answers, and I'd be educated guessing at the band  - the Move? and also at Neville Chamberlain? the first 3 I'd expect most people to know (wherever they're from) as they're current or currentish things, rather than historical. Though I suppose cricket isn't maybe everyone's general knowledge, but it is often on the news n'that.

100% correct, well done sir.

• Like 1

I'm not a brummie, but I feel slightly embarrassed that I didn't know Chamberlain was from Birmingham.

But to be honest, the only things I know about Chamberlain is "peace for (in) our time" and that his cousin was Alfred in the Batman tv series in the sixties.

I'm not a brummie, but I feel slightly embarrassed that I didn't know Chamberlain was from Birmingham.

But to be honest, the only things I know about Chamberlain is "peace for (in) our time" and that his cousin was Alfred in the Batman tv series in the sixties.

The Chamberlain family were absolutely central to the growth of early 20th C Birmingham. Have a read of the Wikipedia article on Joseph Chamberlain (Neville's dad).

• Like 2

I'm not a brummie, but I feel slightly embarrassed that I didn't know Chamberlain was from Birmingham. But to be honest, the only things I know about Chamberlain is "peace for (in) our time" and that his cousin was Alfred in the Batman tv series in the sixties.

The Chamberlain family were absolutely central to the growth of early 20th C Birmingham. Have a read of the Wikipedia article on Joseph Chamberlain (Neville's dad).

Gary or Phil?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Every Brummie should have got every one of those.

I know the first 3.

I could guess at number 4 although it's not a very Radio 1 band.

No idea of number 5.

Edit: Googled number 4. Never heard of them.

Edited by Stevo985

Â