The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

26 minutes ago, mwj said:

Again mate, with the exception of SAF, that was more than 30 years ago.

The fact is, there are plenty of young managers that get a chance, look at the team's promoted out of the Championship every year. Howe, Neill, Houghton, Monk and let's not forget our own Paul Lambert and Tim Sherwood. Moyes was given a chance at United, Rodgers at Liverpool, Harry at Spurs etc

This English managers not being given a chance is a bloody fabrication of talksport, sky etc. If they are good enough they will be given a chance...

Rodgers was given a season and half and nearly won the premiership

moyes was successful for years at Everton and should have been given more time at United they bottled it and are no better now

harry had spurs in the top 4 I remember hardly a failure

Sherwood I will happily fall on my sword and close this argument!

10 hours ago, mwj said:

Italy and Germany (2 of previous 3 World Champions remember), have no limit on foreign players. Spain (the other recent World champion) has a limit of 3 non EU but it's basically a joke because all their foreign players are signed at 16 to their academies and have passports by the time they are 21 (Messi, Dani Alves etc)

Italian teams are limited to two non EU signings per season I believe.

43 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Rodgers was given a season and half and nearly won the premiership

moyes was successful for years at Everton and should have been given more time at United they bottled it and are no better now

harry had spurs in the top 4 I remember hardly a failure

Pretty sure Rodgers was appointed the same week we appointed Lambert and stayed on almost a season longer than him. Nowhere near a season and a half. It's actually more like 3 and a half.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

1) Rodgers was given a season and half and nearly won the premiership

2) moyes was successful for years at Everton and should have been given more time at United they bottled it and are no better now

3) harry had spurs in the top 4 I remember hardly a failure

1) who nearly won them the title Louis (Suarez) Smith?

who lost them the title ? Slippy G

2) was great in Spain - cant get a job/wont take a job

3) ask Portsmouth Southampton owners

99% means 1 in a 100

thats being generous

• Like 1

Posted 3 hours ago · Report post

Randy Lerner has challenged Remi Garde to rebuild Aston Villa from the rubble of this season

RANDY LERNER has challenged Remi Garde to rebuild Aston Villa from the rubble of this season.

The American owner has vowed to give his frustrated French boss the resources he requires to ensure the Midlands giants recover from their car-crash season.

Villa are in danger of toppling out of the Premier League for the first time after 24 seasons and are currently eight points adrift of safety.

But despite missing out on all of his January signing targets — thought to have included Hajduk Split keeper Lovre Kalinic — Garde says Lerner is determined to right the wrongs of this season.

He told French radio station RMC: “I think he really wants to rebuild the club and put the players he recruits into working conditions where they will improve — individually and collectively.

“He judged that isn’t the case right now — effectively there is in-depth work to be done at Aston Villa.

“Of course I would have liked money in January. I’d targeted a few players who could have strengthened us.

“It didn’t happen for various reasons, taking into account that our situation was not very attractive for the players, because unfortunately there’s a chance the club will be in the championship next season.

“There’s also an American owner who has already invested and — unfortunately for him — lost a lot of money over the last five years.

“People talk about 300 million pounds that he’s lost which isn’t nothing.

“The team has been battling for a long while and been fighting to stay up for the last four years.

“This season we’re last so what I’ll say is there are no miracles.

“The squad has potential but is limited in size all the same.”

Sorry Randy - Just don't trust your intelligence nor your intent.

14 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well with all due respect Mantis I'd say you're contradicting yourself a tad there, on one hand you agree that there's a "big chance" he won't be here next season but in the same breath citing my opinion as hyperbole?!

I'd say his comments today (around staying on if he's backed financially) are a firm indication that he won't be here, he's covering himself so that if/when he quits he can do so under the guise of having no real backing. I can't see Lerner (or the new clown, if it's his choice) investing heavily in the Championship if they weren't prepared to do so in the Prem, I also have to wonder as to who Garde thinks he can spend money on even if he is backed, we're not going to be attracting anything decent at that level and I doubt Garde's knowledge of lower league British based players is particularly adequate so you have to wonder........

How is it contradictory? I admitted there's a large chance of it happening but you said the chances of him staying were "slim to none" which is just an exaggeration. His comments about backing are most likely a firm indication that he'll stay if he's backed and that he'll leave if he isn't, which most of us suspected anyway. I'd unironically say it's about 50/50.

14 hours ago, rubberman said:

I think you're overdoing the conspiracy theories.  Manager says he would like to stay = manager wants to leave.  Not really sure how much clearer or straightforward he could be.

He said he'd like to stay IF he's backed financially.

Do you think he will be backed financially in the Championship?

29 minutes ago, Mantis said:

How is it contradictory? I admitted there's a large chance of it happening but you said the chances of him staying were "slim to none" which is just an exaggeration. His comments about backing are most likely a firm indication that he'll stay if he's backed and that he'll leave if he isn't, which most of us suspected anyway. I'd unironically say it's about 50/50.

it's contradictory for the reasons outlined!

although it's not that important, guess we'll just have to agree to disagree over what constitutes hyperbole and contradiction.

I actually think he will be backed and backed well in the Summer. As daft as Lerner is he wants rid of us and being in the Championship makes that much harder. I think he'll want to get us back up and then hopefully sell as soon as possible.

He won't to risk us yo-yoing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He said he'd like to stay IF he's backed financially.

Do you think he will be backed financially in the Championship?

Yes I do.  Though it does depend where Remi's expectations are.  From what I've heard from him I'd expect it to be realistic.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay fair enough, that's your view.

I don't believe for a second that there will be any significant investment, we'll be cutting costs wherever possible in my opinion.

There will be big changes in the summer in playing personnel

I don't think we need significant investment as long as we hold onto the bulk of our good players this season.

I think we need to buy some players, but we don't need to spend 50 or 60 million or anything silly.

I think that will happen. A combination of wanting to come back up first time and Garde threatening to walk if he's not backed (effectively) will mean there is money to spend.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think we need significant investment as long as we hold onto the bulk of our good players this season.

I think we need to buy some players, but we don't need to spend 50 or 60 million or anything silly.

I think that will happen. A combination of wanting to come back up first time and Garde threatening to walk if he's not backed (effectively) will mean there is money to spend.

Those "Good players" are probably about to get us relegated. That indicates to me we really could do with spending 50 million. However , I don't think Lerner will spend that much, so it's academic really.

Â