The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

6 minutes ago, mwj said:

It's not a perception, it's reality.

There's a reason England haven't won anything for 50 years, and it's not to do with the number of foreigners in the Premier League...

Exactly and that's because of the influx of not only good players from abroad but Very Very average players that come across and block the progression of young british players

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

A perception that Premier League clubs and clubs of foreign leagues all share.

Ok so that makes it right to continually ignore british players

11 minutes ago, mwj said:

It's not a perception, it's reality.

There's a reason England haven't won anything for 50 years, and it's not to do with the number of foreigners in the Premier League...

Disagree this is totally the reason They do not get a chance to play because of crap average foreign imports.

30 minutes ago, mwj said:

With respect to Leicester, only 4 out of their usual starting 11 are English (Vardy, Drinkwater, Albrighton and Morgan).

In fact, the only team I could find in the top half of the table with less than 60% foreigners was Liverpool at 58%.

Watford's squad is 90% foreign!

The lowest was Bournemouth at 53% and ours is about average at 66% foreign. So much for an English "core".

Source: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/tabelle/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2015

You missed Dyer King and Simpson 13 29 and 21 appearances respectively !

Exactly and that's because of the influx of not only good players from abroad but Very Very average players that come across and block the progression of young british players

Disagree. It's because the standard of grassroots and academy coaching in this country is poor compared to countries like Holland, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Portugal etc.

The British kids that are good enough make the grade (Bale, Ramsey, Cahill, Rooney etc).

2 minutes ago, mwj said:

Disagree. It's because the standard of grassroots and academy coaching in this country is poor compared to countries like Holland, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Portugal etc.

The British kids that are good enough make the grade (Bale, Ramsey, Cahill, Rooney etc).

I believe there a lot more Bales Ramseys Rooneys - around but if they are never given the chance at the top level how will we ever find them . Whats the quota of foreign players In Germany Spain and Italy?

I have to admit, I'm lost. 

How does foreign players coming to the UK affect English players not playing abroad?

the point was made that so few English players playing abroad shows that they aren't that sought after. 

Nothing ive seen disputes that

• Like 2

I believe there a lot more Bales Ramseys Rooneys - around but if they are never given the chance at the top level how will we ever find them . Whats the quota of foreign players In Germany Spain and Italy?

Italy and Germany (2 of previous 3 World Champions remember), have no limit on foreign players. Spain (the other recent World champion) has a limit of 3 non EU but it's basically a joke because all their foreign players are signed at 16 to their academies and have passports by the time they are 21 (Messi, Dani Alves etc)

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think it's due to the fact that young British players get 30k contracts at the age of 17 and think they made it it to the top while cruising down Broad Street in their new convertible Bentley. Meanwhile, a young serbian/italian/portugese/african or any other player for that matter would die for a chance to play for Bolton on a rainy Tuesday evening.

But hey, what do I know.

I think that's exactly the reason. 

Yeah just been catching up the last few days and there seems to be about 12 different threads in here lol.

As regards Remi, that quote from him on French radio to the effect that he will stay IF the Club equip him to get it promoted is, to me, key to everything.

Firstly, shades of MON, but telling everyone in advance rather leaving it to people knowing his reputation.

Second, it suggests, as strongly as we are ever likely to hear, that he is, at the very, very least, questioning the commitment of the Board. I think it is reasonable to assume he is more than unhappy about what's occurred (or not ) recently, and, also reasonable to assume that the recent appointments have not necessarily altered how he feels, or reassured him. (Of course they may have, but it doesn't read like it). I'm not looking to try and justify my - and others - view that the appointment and subsequent utterings of Hollis boded very, very ill for our Club, but, I think this does go some way in that direction.

Third, we can't say we haven't been warned now, as warned as we will get.. It would seem fair to think Lambert and Sherwood (and maybe even Mcleish before them) did not get what they wanted in their respective pre-seasons. But that was still supposition.  Remi has now said if he doesn't he will go. Whether he means actual players, money spent, final say, control, we don't know. But we do have at least a small weapon, feeble though it is, in our armoury now.  We should ask, demand, request, at every opportunity, for confirmation from the Board that his requirements have been discussed, and will be met.  We should then hopefully have him substantiating this.  Unless and until those two things happen, nobody should so much as smell a season ticket, let alone buy one.

Now , for myself,  I'm still waiting to see how the season goes before deciding in my own mind whether I'd want him to stay. On balance, and increasingly so, I think he has done ok, and should stay, but Id like to wait.  BUT, both Hollis and King have said "there has been too much change" and Hollis has explicitly said he won't sack Garde.  SO again, the question that needs to be asked is, "If you wont sack him, can you confirm you WILL back him ?" (could that make a good banner ? - "You wont sack him..will you BACK him ?", quite like that).

WE don't need to define what backing is, we will know it when we see it because, presumably , Garde will confirm it.

So IMO, he has given us a means of confronting the Board.

Edited by terrytini

I do not think the board is the problem, I happen to like them (except Hollis, who I find to be a very strange appointment).

Looking back, I think when Fox went to America, it was to persuade Lerner to back Garde, but Lerner had already decided we were relegated, and would not release the required funds.

Forget the Board, Lerner is the problem, he is the target.

He needs to be embarrassed into selling up with bad publicity.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I do not think the board is the problem, I happen to like them (except Hollis, who I find to be a very strange appointment).

Looking back, I think when Fox went to America, it was to persuade Lerner to back Garde, but Lerner had already decided we were relegated, and would not release the required funds.

Forget the Board, Lerner is the problem, he is the target.

He needs to be embarrassed into selling up with bad publicity.

Quite agree Lerner is the problem.  But I'm surprised you think that should make him the target.  IMO the appointment of Hollis is unambiguously for him to be Lerner in the UK, at Villa, to all intents and purposes.Lerner has gone, for all realistic purposes. Hollis = Lerne,. (which would also mean the appointment wouldn't look as strange). 

And it is Hollis who said he wont sack Remi.

And you can bet your life Hollis had the final say in January, and will in the Summer.

So to me it makes sense...Hollis has so far carefully positioned himself to SAY he wants continuity, to SAY he wont get rid of the Manager.............whilst at the same time clearly (from Remis comments) FAILING to do enough to keep said Manager.  At the moment the equation could very well be...........We are not sacking him//////he wants XYZ.////////we don't give it him/////he's walked = villain,( like MON), ////appoint a patsy/////fail to go up//////rinse and repeat.

1 hour ago, mwj said:

Italy and Germany (2 of previous 3 World Champions remember), have no limit on foreign players. Spain (the other recent World champion) has a limit of 3 non EU but it's basically a joke because all their foreign players are signed at 16 to their academies and have passports by the time they are 21 (Messi, Dani Alves etc)

The facts are simple.

99% of British Managers, Coaches & Players are Shit

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

The facts are simple.

99% of British Managers, Coaches & Players are Shit

That's a very sweeping statement, based on what! 

Before the introduction of huge TV deals and the premier leauge and MONEY we had very good production line of football players and coaches. we were very successful in Europe for many years.

British managers and coaches are simply not given a chance or time at the top table, to prove what the can do! 

42 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Before the introduction of huge TV deals and the premier leauge and MONEY we had very good production line of football players and coaches. we were very successful in Europe for many years.

British managers and coaches are simply not given a chance or time at the top table, to prove what the can do! 

Of course they're given the chance if they're good enough. Same goes for English players. Brendan Rodgers was given the chance to manage Liverpool, the second largest club in the country after just 1 season of PL experience. David Moyes was trusted with the biggest and toughest job in world football after proving himself at Everton. Tim Sherwood was given the Aston Villa job despite 4 months of PL managing experience and no coaching licenses etc. etc.  They all failed at their jobs of course but that's neither here nor there.

The top teams hire proven managers for the most part. Taking a punt on an unknown quantity is too much of a risk given what's at stake for them. But how many British managers have proven themselves to be at that level? Should Sam Allardyce for example be given the 'chance' to manage Manchester United simply because he's British? Of course not, he's nowhere near good enough. He's supposedly the best English manager and yet we all know and watched him reach his ceiling last season. 8th place is about the upper limits of his ability and he needed significant backing at West Ham to achieve it. He's also currently not pulling up any trees at Sunderland. So who is it that is worthy of and should be given a chance?

Again mate, with the exception of SAF, that was more than 30 years ago.

The fact is, there are plenty of young managers that get a chance, look at the team's promoted out of the Championship every year. Howe, Neill, Houghton, Monk and let's not forget our own Paul Lambert and Tim Sherwood. Moyes was given a chance at United, Rodgers at Liverpool, Harry at Spurs etc

This English managers not being given a chance is a bloody fabrication of talksport, sky etc. If they are good enough they will be given a chance...

• Like 1

Randy Lerner has challenged Remi Garde to rebuild Aston Villa from the rubble of this season

RANDY LERNER has challenged Remi Garde to rebuild Aston Villa from the rubble of this season.

The American owner has vowed to give his frustrated French boss the resources he requires to ensure the Midlands giants recover from their car-crash season.

Villa are in danger of toppling out of the Premier League for the first time after 24 seasons and are currently eight points adrift of safety.

But despite missing out on all of his January signing targets — thought to have included Hajduk Split keeper Lovre Kalinic — Garde says Lerner is determined to right the wrongs of this season.

He told French radio station RMC: “I think he really wants to rebuild the club and put the players he recruits into working conditions where they will improve — individually and collectively.

“He judged that isn’t the case right now — effectively there is in-depth work to be done at Aston Villa.

“Of course I would have liked money in January. I’d targeted a few players who could have strengthened us.

“It didn’t happen for various reasons, taking into account that our situation was not very attractive for the players, because unfortunately there’s a chance the club will be in the championship next season.

“There’s also an American owner who has already invested and — unfortunately for him — lost a lot of money over the last five years.

“People talk about 300 million pounds that he’s lost which isn’t nothing.

“The team has been battling for a long while and been fighting to stay up for the last four years.

“This season we’re last so what I’ll say is there are no miracles.

“The squad has potential but is limited in size all the same.”

The Impossible Task Under Randolph Lerner

Â