Firearm Enthusiast Thread

Dom_Wren

37 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Out of interest, how much does gun violence play on your mind on a day to day basis? To outside observers it seems like an insane situation, but I imagine when you’re there you just kind of pretend it isn’t happening, and 99.9% of the time that attitude works? But then you have these horrendous avoidable tragedies. Hard to relate to.

Sometimes if I'm in a grocery store I'll think about where the rear exits are. I try to avoid driving conflict. Like I'm not likely these days to lean on the horn and give the finger. I marched with BLM three times and was vigilant. Also I recently attended a abortion rights rally. Same thing. Kept a lookout for trucks with flags. I saw a bumpersticker recently that said Family, Friends, Faith and Firearms. They are increasingly militant. So it's a concern. My cousin in suburban Philly says he is very stressed out about what he sees down there. Rural Pennsylvania has become very right wing. 

So I'm concerned about random gun violence and also political violence which is being stoked.

But I try to temper my concern which is why I haven't gotten a gun. I've always felt like they win if I give up and buy a firearm. 

But it's good to be prepared for anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/10/2013 at 15:49, mjmooney said:

I would only really be interested in the antique stuff - black powder revolvers, etc.

But it's very low on the bucket list.

There is a shooting club I have been to in Nechelles, 49th Rifle & Pistol Club. They have a guy there who is really into The American Civil War and Blackpowder pistols and he gave a demonstration of firing one.  Was absolutely nuts (this is indoors at an old swimming baths). Pretty much filled the shooting gallery with smoke and made a hell of a bang. 

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Will carry this a lot i reckon.

In light of the last few weeks over there you probably have a very obvious answer to this - why? What are doing in your day to day life where you need to carry that? 

Tomorrow I'll pop in to lidl, I won't need to take a gun with me to feel safe...there's literally zero threat of anything happening to me while I'm there

How do you live like that? Especially being from the UK? (I think you are anyway?) doesn't it make you want to come back? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

In light of the last few weeks over there you probably have a very obvious answer to this - why? What are doing in your day to day life where you need to carry that? 

Tomorrow I'll pop in to lidl, I won't need to take a gun with me to feel safe...there's literally zero threat of anything happening to me while I'm there

How do you live like that? Especially being from the UK? (I think you are anyway?) doesn't it make you want to come back? 

But what do you do if someone cuts in front of you at the checkouts when you go to Lidl? How is it possible to resolve that situation without access to a firearm?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

But what do you do if someone cuts in front of you at the checkouts when you go to Lidl? How is it possible to resolve that situation without access to a firearm?

I would say a nearly audible tut accompanied by a disapproving look would sort that situation a treat. Followed by a good rant on VT when you get home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Firearms are something I've wondered about for a long time. My family live in South Africa, which is well known as a very violent place and there's quite a few guns in circulation. House robberies or car hijackings can often be unneccessarily violent (usually due to drugs), so there's definitely a logical case that can be made for getting a gun.

My family have always been very clear that they're absolutely not interested in getting a gun. The chances of there being a tragic accident are vastly increased if you own one, your chances of being killed in a robbery or hijacking if you have a gun are also much higher. They're willing to take the risk of being defenceless in the face of a murderous psychopath and getting killed because statistically that's way less of a danger than actually owning the gun is.

I gained a bit of respect for my dad when he explained his logic to me - I think it's quite brave to let yourself be defenceless, as it very much goes against my natural instincts.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Arnold Schwarzenegger defeated the Predator without a gun (in the end).

A gun in the end would be rather uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

A gun in the end would be rather uncomfortable. 

I bet more than a few of the NRA types love having a gun up their end while they, ahem, shoot their load.  

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

As a safe, licensed firearm carrier, it  maybe hard for me to get my point of view across,  if I didn't carry and had the opportunity to protect myself and or my family it would be in me. I am exercising a constitution right. I also really enjoy target shooting, so that's another part of my gun ownership. That may sound strange but the beauty of living in a free and democratic society.

Do i think these events especially the elementary school are awful-Yes. I am not allowed to carry my weapon in certain buildings and i respect that.

Id be surprised if any political party messed with the 2a. As both democratic, but no doubt more republican's wish to keep the status quo or as close to as possible.

I am from UK, but my life is here now, and there is no urge due to gun issues to relocate back

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

I also really enjoy target shooting, so that's another part of my gun ownership.

This bit I 100% get and I'm convinced if I lived in America I would do as a hobby, probably a range of different gun types too

if I didn't carry and had the opportunity to protect myself and or my family it would be in me.

This bit I never will, where I live protects my family, not me and my gun, touch wood I live in a safe society and that is what protects them, my daughter has a better chance of being struck by lightening at school than being gunned down

Edited by blandy
Fixed formatting

I am off to Vegas in October and although I have been many times, I have never been to any of the shooting ranges. I am going this time and have been looking at some of the hand gun packages. 

I was surprised to find out recently that the Cambodian stag party package where you can shoot RPGs at a field of cows is in fact an urban legend.

Edit: actually a quick Google suggests maybe it is / was a real thing...

Edited by KentVillan

51 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

As a safe, licensed firearm carrier, it  maybe hard for me to get my point of view across,  if I didn't carry and had the opportunity to protect myself and or my family it would be in me. I am exercising a constitution right. I also really enjoy target shooting, so that's another part of my gun ownership. That may sound strange but the beauty of living in a free and democratic society.

Do i think these events especially the elementary school are awful-Yes. I am not allowed to carry my weapon in certain buildings and i respect that.

Id be surprised if any political party messed with the 2a. As both democratic, but no doubt more republican's wish to keep the status quo or as close to as possible.

I am from UK, but my life is here now, and there is no urge due to gun issues to relocate back

Do you ever get angry or annoyed, have a bad day, feel upset etc?

In which case that thing you have, even though I'm guessing right now you'll swear you'll never use, will increase your (and your families) risk of death by about 400%. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Do you ever get angry or annoyed, have a bad day, feel upset etc?

In which case that thing you have, even though I'm guessing right now you'll swear you'll never use, will increase your (and your families) risk of death by about 400%. 

mate I'm married to a Latina, I have more bad days than hot dinners.

I totally respect your opinion as I would not to exercise your legal right to carry a firearm if you lived in a gun legal state in USA. I know its a  emotional subject among many. But sometimes peoples opinions of exercising my legal right to carry, is very unforgiving. despite me doing something 100% legal.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

This bit I 100% get and I'm convinced if I lived in America I would do as a hobby, probably a range of different gun types too

Again no argument here! im genuinely happy that you're happy!

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I love it, my father in law has 30 acres so i can go for the day, set up targets for different caliber and have at it!

I posted that pic as i know we have former military (thank you for your service) and this firearm is the new us military issued pistol, minus a few bells and whistles, that replaces the age old beretta.

Â