Firearm Enthusiast Thread

Dom_Wren

4 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

mate I'm married to a Latina, I have more bad days than hot dinners.

I totally respect your opinion as I would not to exercise your legal right to carry a firearm if you lived in a gun legal state in USA. I know its a  emotional subject among many. But sometimes peoples opinions of exercising my legal right to carry, is very unforgiving. despite me doing something 100% legal.

I'm not emotional and whilst if anything WERE to happen, I'd be gutted for you and your family, it's nothing to do with me 🤷🏼‍♂️.

It just kinda amuses me that every gun holder I've ever known's attitude has been "it'll never happen to me", yet it did for 6,885 Americans from 06-16.

I like to remove risk from my life, rather than adding to it.

(I've been shooting in Vegas (albeit .22's/g18) and it was fun, but a bit scary at the same time)

18 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

mate I'm married to a Latina, I have more bad days than hot dinners.

I totally respect your opinion as I would not to exercise your legal right to carry a firearm if you lived in a gun legal state in USA. I know its a  emotional subject among many. But sometimes peoples opinions of exercising my legal right to carry, is very unforgiving. despite me doing something 100% legal.

Just because it's 100% legal doesn't mean it's not mad.

• Like 2

Slavery was also 100% legal. Sometimes what is legal is not the right thing.

EDIT: I mean I know it's not the same thing, and I have no issue with the right to own a firearm. I just feel that it should be controlled as it is in the UK/Ireland. Ammunition and guns not kept together, separate keys for lockers etc. as described by @Vancvillan over in the "Gun violence in the USA" thread. I mean it is no coincidence that countries who have strict gun control laws don't suffer from the same issues as the US.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Thanks 1

On top of what I said before, what rational, sane person would look at the tragic events of the last couple of weeks and think ‘**** yeah shiny new gun for me’

its kinda chilling 

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

On top of what I said before, what rational, sane person would look at the tragic events of the last couple of weeks and think ‘**** yeah shiny new gun for me’

its kinda chilling 

And back to "it's not illegal" we go!

3 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Slavery was also 100% legal. Sometimes what is legal is not the right thing.

It’s not an awful comparison. 

‘hey guys look what I just got! I know some of you won’t agree and you’ll have strong opinions but it’s my right to own one and it makes my life easier. 100% legal and it does work so my wife doesn’t have to. Did I mention it’s legal and I like it?”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

And back to "it's not illegal" we go!

I would get (just about) someone looking at the last few weeks and rushing to buy *anything* if they don’t own something to protect their family, despite it being misguided and proven to be opposite. 

But to already own a shit tonne of weaponry, to get a shiny new toy and proudly wear it when you do daily tasks and be actively delighted with it. 

Takes a certain mind. 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I would get (just about) someone looking at the last few weeks and rushing to buy *anything* if they don’t own something to protect their family, despite it being misguided and proven to be opposite. 

But to already own a shit tonne of weaponry, to get a shiny new toy and proudly wear it when you do daily tasks and be actively delighted with it. 

Takes a certain mind. 

therein lies the problem. i think you become immune to it to the point that it's like a toy. some of us in the UK still get surprised and even unnerved when we go on holiday and we see police with gun holsters. we look at them as exactly what they are...a very dangerous, deadly weapon. we don't see them day to day.

many in the US just see it as another household item that they are perfectly legally allowed to own, no different to a car, and probably look at gun related deaths no differently to traffic related deaths

• Like 1

I'm not here to change anyones mind, but the reaction is WOW! 

Maybe I should get mods to delete thread as doesnt seem much enjoyment or interest any more.

Mods-I will leave it to your decision.

Any way hope everybody has a great rest of weekend and UTV!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

many in the US just see it as another household item that they are perfectly legally allowed to own, no different to a car, and probably look at gun related deaths no differently to traffic related deaths

A decent comparison until primary purpose rears its ugly head

if a Ford Focus was designed first and foremost to kill then it would be a fair point. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Maybe I should get mods to delete thread as doesnt seem much enjoyment or interest any more.

With all due respect, what did you expect the response to be? 

gleefully showing off a weapon you don’t need in the recent aftermath of children being murdered

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

The most chilling thing I've read in this thread its only Tuesday 😩

• Haha 1

Keep the thread open.

I would like to see a discussion which goes beyond saying it's legal. I'd appreciate the insight.

Like, what are you afraid of?

• Like 1

There are 16 pages of Dom answering questions, politely and as best he can. If culturally and recreationally this is what he likes, then this thread is the best place for it. I suggest for those leaping on to the last page or two, start from the beginning. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

It's utterly baffling that your reaction is WOW to the response you've received. I saw thread bumped - fine. You've posted a photo of a new gun. I thought 😬. Then you proudly state that you will carry it a lot. 

I mean - after the much publicsied events of the last few days/weeks and the corresponding reaction on the gun violence in the US thread here - just read the room. I can't believe that you created that post and the thought never crossed your mind, there might be some blowblack here.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

There are 16 pages of Dom answering questions, politely and as best he can. If culturally and recreationally this is what he likes, then this thread is the best place for it. I suggest for those leaping on to the last page or two, start from the beginning. 

I mean, if his answers were anything other than ‘it’s legal and it’s my right’ then I think the reaction would be a bit more mild. 

also it is his right to post here but it is also everyone else’s right to judge and think it’s mental. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

It's utterly baffling that your reaction is WOW to the response you've received. I saw thread bumped - fine. You've posted a photo of a new gun. I thought 😬. Then you proudly state that you will carry it a lot. 

I mean - after the much publicsied events of the last few days/weeks and the corresponding reaction on the gun violence in the US thread here - just read the room. I can't believe that you created that post and the thought never crossed your mind, there might be some blowblack here.

Fair point. I did not mean to cause people to get ___________ (fill in the blank). I genuinely believe that some people are interested in firearms/target shooting and some are not (fair enough). I do not share the points that a lot of you are making by me posting. Its tragic and certainly when i talk about guns i am coming from the only point of view i know-a US Citizen, educated, background checked and tested in carrying a concealed weapon (well SC is now open carry) i dont have the answers of how to stop it happening again.

But i don have a unique perspective of being a dual citizen with just less than half of my life spent in England. Hence one of the reasons why i thought the thread would be good to give my point of view on certain situations, but not sure if thats what it is now?

• Like 1

Thread is cray cray.   If shooting pratice is your thing why not just rent rather than own.  Is that even possible?  Anyway very strange thread on what I am guessing is a predominantly UK centric user base.  Showing off your guns in an American sports forum will probably be less hostile

The only guns one should own, I have a long way to go

how-arnold-built-his-shoulders-and-arms-header-400x225.jpg.c59516e30b840ba8ee84c383e15c2531.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I was surprised to find out recently that the Cambodian stag party package where you can shoot RPGs at a field of cows is in fact an urban legend.

Edit: actually a quick Google suggests maybe it is / was a real thing...

It is definitely a real thing

Â