Firearm Enthusiast Thread

Dom_Wren

7 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

This is how we shoot at range:

b49rp2.jpg

British Army Marksmanship Principles  

To achieve a high standard of shooting we follow a process known as the Marksmanship Principles. This ensures we always hold, aim and fire the weapon correctly, and therefore should always hit the target. They are a simple set of rules which you will cover in detail on the course. Your instructor will also explain how they are applied, however if you can learn them now you will be able to relate to them during lessons. They are as follows:

a. The Position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon.

b. The weapon must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort.

c. Sight alignment and the sight picture must be correct.

d. The shot must be released and followed through without undue disturbance to the position.

Now to me Dom , it looks like they are aiming at the sky. There's a very real chance of shooting yourself from that position. You want to to try and keep that rifle perpendicular to the planet .

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

rrp40o.jpg

Picked up these two the other day.

A new 9mm Walther pps m2 for me and a .380 Sig Sauer P238 for the wife.

The walther was cheap as chips on sale and a rebate, shoots great out of the box, the Sig is a lovely firearm, but was expensive!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Dom_Wren do you find that when you go to the range, after events like that in Vegas, there is a different atmosphere? I am ambivalent about gun control so I am not trying to trip you up, I just wonder if events like that change gun enthusiasts?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

@Dom_Wren do you find that when you go to the range, after events like that in Vegas, there is a different atmosphere? I am ambivalent about gun control so I am not trying to trip you up, I just wonder if events like that change gun enthusiasts?

Great question  

Unfortunately I don’t get to the range much during the semester as I’m so busy.

But met some old southern gents that I keep in touch with last night and we chatted about Vegas.

Definitely a hot topic of conversation. But some real concern for the ease at which these massacres can happen.

This surprised me, not the empathy, but they were saying that there is no reason to have access to fully automatic weapons or even the bump stock devices the killer used.

They use rifles, both semi automatic and bolt action for hunting. I feel the general consensus among these pro gun/2nd amendment/NRA members was one of shock and sadness, and i feel (nothing concrete I know) that they felt something had to change. 

They are all awesome profesional guys. So maybe it shouldn’t surprise me/you/outsiders looking in. But It did. Maybe I’ve been influenced by the stereotypes of every republican/nra member/gun owner is a nut and must be planning a militia in the wodds type press we see a lot these days*

*not saying these guys don’t exist!!!

On a personal note I would never own anything that’s illegal. I would more than likely not own a fully automatic or bump stick device. I say more than likely because In this very thread said I would not own a semi automatic weapon and have had tremendous fun shooting at the range with the one I purchased. It’s such a tough issue. It really is. I don’t have the answers. But definitely a sense of real feeling that some things have to change.

ps be more than happy to answer any questions anybody may have like this!

4 hours ago, legov said:

Dom, was wondering how often you clean your firearms, and if there's any difference between how you clean a pistol compared to how you clean your larger weapons.

Another great question, not as often as I should!

your supposed to clean your semi automatic handguns less than your revolvers and you semi automatic rifles more often. I believe it’s the heavier caliber leaves more residue and gunk for want of a better word! Again no expert but that’s what I’ve been told!

i actually find it therapeutic cleaning my guns! 

4 hours ago, legov said:

Dom, was wondering how often you clean your firearms, and if there's any difference between how you clean a pistol compared to how you clean your larger weapons.

Hey, where have you been for so long? 

And have you got a gun?  :)

Just now, mjmooney said:

Hey, where have you been for so long? 

And have you got a gun?  :)

I tried messaging you once on FB but you didn't respond so shoo :)

(no gun, but have handled guns before, so don't **** with me)

• Haha 1

Â