Firearm Enthusiast Thread

Dom_Wren

43 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Glad I can't get a firearm, pretty sure I'd be in prison now :)

You live in the gun capital of Britain. I'm sure if you had a word with yo homies in ya ghetto they wud sort you out Bruv. Ya hear me yea!

53 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You live in the gun capital of Britain. I'm sure if you had a word with yo homies in ya ghetto they wud sort you out Bruv. Ya hear me yea!

Omar-Indeed.jpg

• Like 1

In Australia after one of the world's largest mass shootings, the government brought in very tough laws pertaining to gun ownership. 

Low and behold we haven't had a mass shooting of note since then. 

I probably should leave now, just happened to stumble on this thread out of boredom. 

More bad comes from guns than good. Simple

• Like 3

On 4/13/2017 at 18:35, Dom_Wren said:

Finally got out to range due to spring break, shot the longest i ever had with my AR-15, 160 yards

1217mtk.jpg

Also shot my shotgun, .357 and .45 

Going out to a different range tomorrow am with a buddy who was a marine so see what he can teach me.

bit close no? or are you just learning?

• Like 1

On 14/04/2017 at 02:35, Dom_Wren said:

Finally got out to range due to spring break, shot the longest i ever had with my AR-15, 160 yards

1217mtk.jpg

Were you standing on one leg when you shot that grouping? 

Going out to a different range tomorrow am with a buddy who was a marine so see what he can teach me.

The marksmanship principles, hopefully ;) 

• Like 2

between you @Awol and @Brumerican you guys killing me!! I thought that was a bloody god effort jeeves. would have killed some jerry for sure, my mate who is a former marine was nowhere near me! Here is my group at 100 yards:

2s0okz8.jpg

But the big treat was turning up and giving a double take when i saw this:

f598ab.jpg

Barett .50 cal with suppressor, a 10 grand gun at a 100 yard po dunk range in leeds, South Carolina! The guy had some beautiful guns and was a really nice guy. He shot it and everybody had to clear the neighboring stalls, the thing was INSANE, it displaced the air, so hard the water on the roof jumped off. The bullets were the size of a pint glass......He only let me shoot it! wow, what a buzz. I took some video but dont know how to post it, it wasn't that great quality as my mate took it, but i took one of the guy that owned it firing it and its unreal. Def worth the trip down just to shoot it once!

• Like 1

@Dom_Wren Are you shooting from prone, mate? If so getting your position and hold right will transform that grouping. 

If I was your size though I'd be learning to go banzai with a battle axe. Any fule can pull a trigger. 

PS. Never touched the .50 rifle but obviously a **** beast. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

@Dom_Wren Are you shooting from prone, mate? If so getting your position and hold right will transform that grouping. 

If I was your size though I'd be learning to go banzai with a battle axe. Any fule can pull a trigger. 

PS. Never touched the .50 rifle but obviously a **** beast. 

This is how we shoot at range:

b49rp2.jpg

so way more steady than when i go to my friends whos got land as we shoot of a rickety table on the grass:

27yswux.jpg

I have to get my breathing right, that helps when i am calm and breathing right.

Mate that .50 cal was unlike anything ive seen or shot, like i said my mate was in the marines and has shot belt fed .50 cal, he dont really tell me much, and i dont ask, but he was like get out the way when he fires that....

1 hour ago, Dom_Wren said:

between you @Awol and @Brumerican you guys killing me!! I thought that was a bloody god effort jeeves. would have killed some jerry for sure, my mate who is a former marine was nowhere near me! Here is my group at 100 yards:

2s0okz8.jpg

But the big treat was turning up and giving a double take when i saw this:

f598ab.jpg

Barett .50 cal with suppressor, a 10 grand gun at a 100 yard po dunk range in leeds, South Carolina! The guy had some beautiful guns and was a really nice guy. He shot it and everybody had to clear the neighboring stalls, the thing was INSANE, it displaced the air, so hard the water on the roof jumped off. The bullets were the size of a pint glass......He only let me shoot it! wow, what a buzz. I took some video but dont know how to post it, it wasn't that great quality as my mate took it, but i took one of the guy that owned it firing it and its unreal. Def worth the trip down just to shoot it once!

From 160 yards you should be getting every round through the same hole !

:P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

And I'll be forever grateful for that  !:D

I would say return the favour! but im stuck here!!

Anyway guns, thinking about getting rid of my m and p 9c for a m and p 9 shield. dont really carry my 9 as its too big, the shield is lovely in 9 and .40

1 hour ago, Dom_Wren said:

This is how we shoot at range:

b49rp2.jpg

so way more steady than when i go to my friends whos got land as we shoot of a rickety table on the grass:

27yswux.jpg

I have to get my breathing right, that helps when i am calm and breathing right.

Mate that .50 cal was unlike anything ive seen or shot, like i said my mate was in the marines and has shot belt fed .50 cal, he dont really tell me much, and i dont ask, but he was like get out the way when he fires that....

I see from pics that it's how the ranges require you to set up, but the shooting position that you (and they) are in is completely unnatural.

I'd recommend going somewhere you can get a good amount of practice in the prone position. Get down flat on your belly, elbows on the floor, weapon pulled in tight to your shoulder forming a triangle to the floor with your elbows.

Keep your right leg straight and aligned with the target through the length of the weapon. 

Sight picture should point at the target without undue effort and rise as you breathe in, lower as you exhale.  As you're breathing out hold at the halfway point for a few seconds and gently release the shot. 

Few 100 rounds down range practicing and you'll be hitting 6rd groups at 300yds no wider than 6 inches. It's the size of the group that's important, position on the target is generally just about adjusting your sights. 

Get the basics right first and then move on to more interesting positions, but shooting off what look like beer garden benches is making life difficult for yourself! 

Apologies if you already know all this but still couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo....

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Awol said:

....I'd recommend going somewhere you can get a good amount of practice in the prone position. Get down flat on your belly, elbows on the floor, weapon pulled in tight to your shoulder forming a triangle to the floor with your elbows....[etc.]

It's all good advice, and how we got taught to do it, but the only slight comment I have is that we were taught to shoot that way, in part, because it makes the shooter a small target and in another part because you can pretty much shoot from prone anywhere. However if it's recreational shooting at targets, rather than training for combat then the aspects about making yourself a small target and having to shoot from wherever you happen to be don't apply.

But that said the shooting positions in the picture, even with the tripods, look uncomfortable and sub-optimal for breathing and holding the weapon as still as possible - too much room for torso movement.

• Like 2

Â