Firearm Enthusiast Thread

Dom_Wren

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought a Smith and Wesson M and P shield in .40 cal for my summer carry gun.

haven't taken it to range yet.

spring in magazines are awful stiff (oo err missus)

• 4 weeks later...

Had a pretty good day at the range  

2ypgl6p.jpg

100 yards with the AR-15

w9wjo0.jpg

12 yards rapid shooting with the new smith and Wesson M&P .40 shield. Got some kickback for a small gun  

zvwff6.jpg

Edited by Dom_Wren
  • Like 2

Had a pretty good day at the range  

2ypgl6p.jpg

100 yards with the AR-15

w9wjo0.jpg

12 yards rapid shooting with the new smith and Wesson M&P .40 shield. Got some kickback for a small gun  

zvwff6.jpg

I'm a policeman and we used S&W M&P40s. How do they compare with other similar models. It's the only gun I've ever fired (and only in training). I like the feel of it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I'm a policeman and we used S&W M&P40s. How do they compare with other similar models. It's the only gun I've ever fired (and only in training). I like the feel of it.

To be honest mate, ive only really shot M&P's. Ive got the whole caliber range from .380 bodyguard to .45 ACP. I have shot my buddys springifeld XDM and that was pretty sweet in .45, I just really like smith and wessons guns, and the customer service is second to none.

i got my.40 shield for summer carry as its very thin and i got an alien holster for it, i can wear t-shirts and no print is visible, i never fired .40 cal before yesterday and its got quite a kick, but out of the box very happy with the accuracy. A buddy of mine does private security, and they are issued M&P's so it sounds like they have a good reputation.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Being new and proud owner of .222rem hunting firle and 16/70 old Bajkal, I can't wait to get to the range to take these out on a spin. Should be getting to hunt goose, ducks, hares etc in next month or so.

I read this topic through and there's couple things I gotta say. I've never understood the thinking "I can't understand why someone would enjoy/like/etc of something". I might not enjoy or want try to bungee jumping, race driving, parachute jumping, base climbing etc, but I can at least understand that someone else might like them.

@Dom_Wren likes to own and shoot "assault rifle", so how does it take something away from you if he buys one and shoots it on a range? Long range shooting is as respectable thing to do as someone playing rugby IMO.

Also if you can't step into someone else's shoes, it becomes very easy to justify to take away their thing, whatever that might be.

I'm jealous of americans second amendment, as we have IMO way too strict firearm laws here in Finland.

1 hour ago, Jarpie said:

Being new and proud owner of .222rem hunting firle and 16/70 old Bajkal, I can't wait to get to the range to take these out on a spin. Should be getting to hunt goose, ducks, hares etc in next month or so.

I read this topic through and there's couple things I gotta say. I've never understood the thinking "I can't understand why someone would enjoy/like/etc of something". I might not enjoy or want try to bungee jumping, race driving, parachute jumping, base climbing etc, but I can at least understand that someone else might like them.

@Dom_Wren likes to own and shoot "assault rifle", so how does it take something away from you if he buys one and shoots it on a range? Long range shooting is as respectable thing to do as someone playing rugby IMO.

Also if you can't step into someone else's shoes, it becomes very easy to justify to take away their thing, whatever that might be.

I'm jealous of americans second amendment, as we have IMO way too strict firearm laws here in Finland.

Sure, but wouldn't it be safer if the guns stayed at the range given how irresponsible so many gun owners are? Or, make it mandatory for gun owners to insure their dangerous tools that they feel the need to have on their person in the vicinity of others. Hence the fabled market would facilitate change in the behavior of gun owners. 

The laws/restrictions are not needed against the guns... it's people that are the problem, and when people have problems they invariably do dumb assed shit. 

Edited by villakram
edit: all the silly whitespace

16 minutes ago, villakram said:

Sure, but wouldn't it be safer if the guns stayed at the range given how irresponsible so many gun owners are? Or, make it mandatory for gun owners to insure their dangerous tools that they feel the need to have on their person in the vicinity of others. Hence the fabled market would facilitate change in the behavior of gun owners. 

The laws/restrictions are not needed against the guns... it's people that are the problem, and when people have problems they invariably do dumb assed shit. 

They toyed with the idea putting guns to the ranges or hunting club lodges etc, and they came to one simple conclusion...can you guess what it is?

Edit: toyed with it in Finland.

Edited by Jarpie

Vast majority of the hunting clubs lodges and the ranges are not in the inner city, and many times they're not close to the population, so they'd be easy pickings for criminals to go burglarize, even with the alarms etc as it'd take tens of minutes or even hour or two for law enforcement to arrive.

When it comes to self-defense, It's fine and dandy for people living in the city or suburb that it'd take minutes for cops to arrive, but people living outside of the cities or in the areas where they don't have law enforcement nearby, such as many places in northern finland, carrying weapon for self-defense would be a pretty darn good thing even if it's very remote chance that they'd need it. That being said, I'd probably have people having to go through training courses on how to handle weapons etc and have interviews with psychologists if they'd want carry permit, but with enough safe guards so there'd be proper "due process".

I am very much of an individualist who thinks that people should be at least able to be as self-reliant as possible, and rather have more freedoms than fewer. Smaller state/government would great too, I know, that's crazy idea in europe but as you said, people are dumbasses, so why would I trust them to govern and handle bureocracy?

Was supposed to go yesterday.....didnt make it :( gutted, so busy havent really had a chance. cant wait for thanksgiving to get some range time in.

@Jarpie post pics of those guns bruv!

On 10/12/2016 at 13:13, Jarpie said:

Vast majority of the hunting clubs lodges and the ranges are not in the inner city, and many times they're not close to the population, so they'd be easy pickings for criminals to go burglarize, even with the alarms etc as it'd take tens of minutes or even hour or two for law enforcement to arrive.

When it comes to self-defense, It's fine and dandy for people living in the city or suburb that it'd take minutes for cops to arrive, but people living outside of the cities or in the areas where they don't have law enforcement nearby, such as many places in northern finland, carrying weapon for self-defense would be a pretty darn good thing even if it's very remote chance that they'd need it. That being said, I'd probably have people having to go through training courses on how to handle weapons etc and have interviews with psychologists if they'd want carry permit, but with enough safe guards so there'd be proper "due process".

I am very much of an individualist who thinks that people should be at least able to be as self-reliant as possible, and rather have more freedoms than fewer. Smaller state/government would great too, I know, that's crazy idea in europe but as you said, people are dumbasses, so why would I trust them to govern and handle bureocracy?

All well and good that you are a well adjusted human, but we have an awful lot of data that clearly shows how guns are a bad idea due to humans being less than well adjusted quite often.

You should move here or contact the NRA and set up a local branch. They'll do it if there's money in it... oh, and help you take back your freedoms.

On 19.10.2016 at 04:30, Dom_Wren said:

Was supposed to go yesterday.....didnt make it :( gutted, so busy havent really had a chance. cant wait for thanksgiving to get some range time in.

@Jarpie post pics of those guns bruv!

This is my shotgun, old Baikal IJ-18, 16 gauge from '61. Has quite a kick and recoil though, might put padding in the stock.

FxhLgAl.jpg

My (brand-new, mind you) rifle had broken hammer or hammer spring, so it went back for repairs. Grumble grumble.

On 19.10.2016 at 19:12, villakram said:

All well and good that you are a well adjusted human, but we have an awful lot of data that clearly shows how guns are a bad idea due to humans being less than well adjusted quite often.

You should move here or contact the NRA and set up a local branch. They'll do it if there's money in it... oh, and help you take back your freedoms.

Based on the statistics I found from quick search in google, there were more deaths from motor vehicle accidents in the USA than from the firearms, do you still trust those same people with the license to drive a car who you don't think are not well-adjusted enough to own firearms? People who are crazy or stupid will find a way to **** things up, if it's not gun, then it's car, knife or axe etc. You can do actually more harm with the knife than with the gun on many circumstances. Sneak behind people in the crowded place and stab them in the back, it's gonna take a while to people notice anything but with the weapon they'll all hear the gunshot so people can take cover or run away, but it's not as "sexy" news as "OMG SCARY GUNSHOTS!"

In Finland we have a lot of guns, but very few deaths by firearms, afaik it's something like 10-20 deaths on average per year. We have more deaths due motor vehicle accidents, and I've never heard anyone demanding much stricter laws concerning who can drive, also more people are killed with knives than guns, if the same people would carry guns, they'd just shoot each other instead of stabbing with the knife. The latest statistics I remember seeing/hearing was that something like 30% of shootings were done by legally owned firearms in Finland, which is very few when you look at the numbers.

For me it comes down to is it worth to restrict someone else's freedom to nanny the very few potential idiots or lunatics, and at least in Finland the gun owners have IMO proved that it's not.

Edited by Jarpie
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Can't see the fascination with guns. If it's part of your job then fair enough, but for people to be able to buy any gun is crazy.

Mind if I ask where you guys live in? It's easy to speak when you don't know the realities of, for example remote places where people need firearms for self-defense from wilderness, for example.

What about hunting? They mostly do it for pass-time. Hunters keeps the population of some species in check, such as wolves or bears who otherwise could pose danger to the people, or would cause a lot of damage and lost earnings for a lot of people in northern Finland where people gets their living by reindeer herding. Another great example are invasious species such as minks or wild boards in southern Finland where they are not native in. They are not paid, and the state would have to spend fortune to pay people to hunt those species.

AFAIK same goes for many places in the US, where some species would pose a threat for people unless their numbers are kept in check. Also Skeet shooting is popular olympic sport, and many people starts it as a hobby and not a profession, same goes for biathlon which is huge sport in Germany, France, Norway etc.

In Finland reservist volunteering and training is considered as a very valuable pass-time by our defense force, and the volunteers trains on their own time with their own guns, partly by target shooting with semi-auto firearms. I know it probably sounds silly to your ears, but Finland has border with Russia, one of the major powers with whom we had war(s) during WW2 and more or less contentious time during Cold War. They are stable for now, but you never know what future brings.

Gun control isn't, and has never been, about banning all guns for everyone. Just make sure machine guns are kept away from people who have, y'know, no practical need or reason to kill tens of people in a matter of seconds, and perhaps generally make guns less accessible to the general public than cans of Dr Pepper. 

• Like 3

Â