Referees

KennyPowers

i dont think its necessarily a bribery thing i think at the very least its just a more professional thing, give them higher wages and basically make them train in the same way that the footballers do

i would guess that from the new 4 at least 2 of them will be ex teachers, no one ever comes up as a ref, a 18 year old failed footballer released by a PL club got put in to a scholarship by the FA to retrain as a ref and at about 25 he was ready to do PL games...never happens, why not? why is a 35 year old ex teacher the answer?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really don't much go in for complaining about referees, but what the **** was going on in Jon Moss' head in that City game? Gives a penalty for an obvious foul by Walker, then bizarrely *also* decides to send him off, then goes to the screen and decides to rescind red card (correct) *and* penalty (WTF?).

Absolutely hopeless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I really don't much go in for complaining about referees, but what the **** was going on in Jon Moss' head in that City game? Gives a penalty for an obvious foul by Walker, then bizarrely *also* decides to send him off, then goes to the screen and decides to rescind red card (correct) *and* penalty (WTF?).

Absolutely hopeless.

The largest remaining problem with VAR. Clearly, it is causing too many refs to second guess themselves. They need to bring in a hard rule, like the "clear & obvious" rule used by the NFL, else the decision on the field stands. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villakram said:

The largest remaining problem with VAR. Clearly, it is causing too many refs to second guess themselves. They need to bring in a hard rule, like the "clear & obvious" rule used by the NFL, else the decision on the field stands. 

I think they have that rule though, or are supposed to anyway.

Just none of it made sense - there was also a significant pause between giving the penalty and deciding to issue the red card, so that was weird too.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think they have that rule though, or are supposed to anyway.

Just none of it made sense - there was also a significant pause between giving the penalty and deciding to issue the red card, so that was weird too.

Some of the older generation are having real issues with their in game workflow. Pair that with classic big club bias and here we are. Incidents like today should be clear examples of the kind of issue that sees that ref tagged and permanently demoted. 

If you saw that happen in a local league game, you'd think the ref was hungover/still drunk from last night.

• Like 1

Something seriously needs to be done about the state of refereeing in this country.

It's embarrassing the entire nation at this point. Woeful. Inept. It gets worse every single year. Pure incompetence. No repercussions.  Just PR spiel and videos and training days about how "hard it is being a referee"

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely hopeless.

He knew VAR was there, so by making the harshest decision he could get VAR to look at it, taking the decision out of his hands. Or at least allowing him a second/third look on the monitor.

It was responsibility avoidance really. 

Ultimately the right decision was made, but it screwed over the fans by making them wait etc. 

That said if you have VAR, people will use it.

56 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

He knew VAR was there, so by making the harshest decision he could get VAR to look at it, taking the decision out of his hands. Or at least allowing him a second/third look on the monitor.

It was responsibility avoidance really. 

Ultimately the right decision was made, but it screwed over the fans by making them wait etc. 

That said if you have VAR, people will use it.

Was it?

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Was it?

I would say so. That penalty was soft as shite. Armstrong fell over before he could be fouled. He even retained possession of the ball while prone.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I would say so. That penalty was soft as shite. Armstrong fell over before he could be fouled. He even retained possession of the ball while prone.  

Yeah, I don't agree. Walker has just bundled him to the ground without ever touching or even getting near the ball.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I don't agree. Walker has just bundled him to the ground without ever touching or even getting near the ball.

Agree to disagree. That was a 50-50 for me. If that happens anywhere else on the field, and the outcome is not a penalty, that would not be a free kick.

How were West Ham not given a penalty for that tackle from Wan Bissaka on Soucek?! That the ref somehow proceeded to give a foul the other way and VAR doing nothing about it just added tragic comedy. 

I don’t think any of the ronaldo attempts to win a penalty had any merit so fair play for standing up to those but that other one was absolute shocker, it must be getting close to refs being forced to come out and publicly explain decisions post-match.

It gets worse with those decisions in the Brighton / Leicester game, never a penalty for Brighton - you can clearly see Maupay (the little shit) pulling vestergarde down, ridiculous that VAR cannot see this stuff.

I don’t think either of Leicester’s offside goals should have been ruled out but particularly the second one, it’s the same situation as when McGinn had the goal ruled out away to arsenal after 30 seconds last season, if the keeper has no chance of getting to the ball why call it offside.

15 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Agree to disagree. That was a 50-50 for me. If that happens anywhere else on the field, and the outcome is not a penalty, that would not be a free kick.

You're kidding?  That's given as a free kick every day of the week.

I think it was soft as a penalty, but is very much one of those "could be given, could be not".  Certainly don't see anything to suggest the decision should've been overturned - Walker doesn't get the ball and stops Armstrong getting to it properly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How were West Ham not given a penalty for that tackle from Wan Bissaka on Soucek?! That the ref somehow proceeded to give a foul the other way and VAR doing nothing about it just added tragic comedy. 

I don’t think any of the ronaldo attempts to win a penalty had any merit so fair play for standing up to those but that other one was absolute shocker, it must be getting close to refs being forced to come out and publicly explain decisions post-match.

Why was Ronaldo not booked for that final penalty claim? He had been down multiple times beforehand and surely the referee should be bookng him if he doesn't think it's a penalty. Watkins was booked and sent off for less last season. One rule for one..........

Of course It has already been set up by OGS in the after match interview that they were hard done by, so that they will most likely get a soft penalty against next weeks unsuspecting opponents. ☹️

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

Why was Ronaldo not booked for that final penalty claim? He had been down multiple times beforehand and surely the referee should be bookng him if he doesn't think it's a penalty. Watkins was booked and sent off for less last season. One rule for one..........

Of course It has already been set up by OGS in the after match interview that they were hard done by, so that they will most likely get a soft penalty against next weeks unsuspecting opponents. ☹️

My thoughts exactly, he’s a crafty little worm is Ole.

So RefWatch says the Walker tackle was not a penalty. Last week he said the Struijk tackle on Elliott was a red because it caused a bad injury. I didn't know refs had on field xray machines to aid their decision making

Dermot Gallagher it might be time to actually retire. To a nice independent living facility

Â