Libor Kozák

samjp26

He's our second best striker one that has scored 3 goals in his last 6 starts (ignoring that 5 of those starts are over 2 years ago :P). He's our best chance at consistent goals if he can get his match fitness up as while he lacks a good first touch his awareness and positioning off the ball will create goals. Ayew is our best striker but these days I'd barely even consider him one as he's more of a roaming midfielder that chases literally everything. So yeah Kozak isn't a world beater but there is a 10 a season striker in there somewhere I'm sure..

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Agree with this.

He's not very good, but his movement alone was enough to give them pause for thought. He will score goals with that too.

Blew Gestede out the water today in every department. I just wish he was a better footballer.

well he might not be that bad a footballer, at least... he will get better with game time, i think he's still pretty rusty, not saying he's gonna be a world beater, but this is his first start in a long time.

i know many think they have him sewn up as a footballer, but i still think until we've seen at least one full season from him, it's hard to completely judge, just my opinion, maybe i don't play enough football manager to be able to assess the ability of a player in 8 starts or how ever many times he's appeared, nail on the belief that no-one ever gets better or worse

Edited by VillanousOne

Wow! Kozaks stats make great reading - check them out. Backs up the shift he put in for the team, great defensive duties. Haven't seen Gestedes previously, would make an interesting comparison.

He gotta be nailed-on for Saturday, Remi can't drop him now

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5269720,00.html

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

He's not great but just looks a much better player than Gestede. He can run for a start.

But in fairness, he does have a knack for goals, as ungainly as he appears; and he is busy: he makes the opposition work, pulls them around, keeps them occupied. I would like to see his stats compared with Carew, I think on appearances he might be actually be better. The nice thing is that the fans back him, he s popular and yesterday will have further endeared him.

Gestede is like being a man down, and useless if we are not lofting crosses onto his head with Beckham accuracy, because he won't chase them. Gestede is blunt without Amavi, who he worked well with.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

Agree with this.

He's not very good, but his movement alone was enough to give them pause for thought. He will score goals with that too.

Blew Gestede out the water today in every department. I just wish he was a better footballer.

well he might not be that bad a footballer, at least... he will get better with game time, i think he's still pretty rusty, not saying he's gonna be a world beater, but this is his first start in a long time.

i know many think they have him sewn up as a footballer, but i still think until we've seen at least one full season from him, it's hard to completely judge, just my opinion, maybe i don't play enough football manager to be able to assess the ability of a player in 8 starts or how ever many times he's appeared, nail on the belief that no-one ever gets better or worse

I've not played football manager in about 10 years.

You started your post off really well then and it made me think. I was about to hit like. Then you started making snidey comments. That was weird.

Players individual attributes vary in importance from position to position.

In my view one of the most important for a striker is the positions they take up.....its the ability to be stealthy...Its one of the things that Gabby has always struggled with.

Kozak seems comfortable with this, probably his best asset.

well, it wasn't aimed at you at all, sorry if it came off like that

it was def snidey, i admit i do have issues with previous comments made about Kozak, but it's all subjective and opinion, so i should keep that to myself.

to some extent, because Kozak has had the injuries and manager issues, i am more sympathetic, doesn't mean i know what kind of player he really is/what ability he has. Plus the fact we have been so awful in front of goal this season, no doubt means we are desperate for any other striking options to come good.

i'm not anti Gestede either, i think he can do a job, just it's asking a lot for him to be the main striker and he's looked lost of late

Edited by VillanousOne

Remember at least 1 time when we lost the ball in their goal area and he tracked their guy back way into our area making him lose the ball.

Even though he was clearly rusty and at the end exhausted he never stopped running, worked his hearth out.

Made intelligent runs and opened up space.

Offers so much more than the other options we have, is a must starter for me.

Superb yesterday, considering the position we're in and the fitness he doesn't have.

His intelligence on and off the ball was so clear, he might be a poor trainer but he's a good matchday player. Then again anyone who can think about his next move is better than Gestede.

What typified the difference for me was right at the end when Kozak won the corner, he was shattered but he still thought quickly. Smart fella and you need to be cute when you play up top by yourself. He was cute all game and his jumped with a plan, not just because he was tall.

Thank god he played well and we won, made it look like we know what we're talking about.

He's got something Crouch-like about him; in that I'm not sure how he scores, but he often seems to. I know Crouch's stats are way better and over a longer period of time etc., I just mean they both appear ungainly and awkward, but somehow seem to score. Or at least, I home Kozak starts to score if/when he now features more readily. 

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

He's got something Crouch-like about him; in that I'm not sure how he scores, but he often seems to. I know Crouch's stats are way better and over a longer period of time etc., I just mean they both appear ungainly and awkward, but somehow seem to score. Or at least, I home Kozak starts to score if/when he now features more readily. 

Just watch him make a decision and compare it to Gestede.

When Kozak jumps for a ball you can see he's worked out how he's going to do it. Arch over the defender, straight up, push back jump forward, get too tight to the defender so nobody can win it properly etc.
Similarly when on the floor his footwork is adequate because he gives himself the space before the ball comes to him. He thinks a dribble, control or pass before.

Whatever quality he may have after than is unknown, we do know he can shoot and finish but at this level? Even he doesn't know!

He made the difference against Palace because he made sure he was always in the game and aware of the next move. That to me is not only something that Crouch offers but something every quality Prem striker must have, especially if they're slower than Barry.

49 minutes ago, sne said:

Remember at least 1 time when we lost the ball in their goal area and he tracked their guy back way into our area making him lose the ball.

Even though he was clearly rusty and at the end exhausted he never stopped running, worked his hearth out.

Made intelligent runs and opened up space.

Offers so much more than the other options we have, is a must starter for me.

Him and Ayew put in serious shifts last night. The amount of times Ayew was doubling up with Bacuna at right back was unreal. Kozak seemed to play a fair bit at right midfield. Really was a team performance out of nowhere.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Just watch him make a decision and compare it to Gestede.

When Kozak jumps for a ball you can see he's worked out how he's going to do it. Arch over the defender, straight up, push back jump forward, get too tight to the defender so nobody can win it properly etc.
Similarly when on the floor his footwork is adequate because he gives himself the space before the ball comes to him. He thinks a dribble, control or pass before.

Whatever quality he may have after than is unknown, we do know he can shoot and finish but at this level? Even he doesn't know!

He made the difference against Palace because he made sure he was always in the game and aware of the next move. That to me is not only something that Crouch offers but something every quality Prem striker must have, especially if they're slower than Barry.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean the Crouch comparison as a criticism, far from it. I meant he might look a bit odd and a bit awkward on the ball, but he has some sound attributes. 

Above all, I just like an under dog, and if there ever was one it's Libor so I'd love him to score a few, I just like him as a person and think he's shown a lot of good qualities off the pitch so far too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Just to clarify, I didn't mean the Crouch comparison as a criticism, far from it. I meant he might look a bit odd and a bit awkward on the ball, but he has some sound attributes. 

Above all, I just like an under dog, and if there ever was one it's Libor so I'd love him to score a few, I just like him as a person and think he's shown a lot of good qualities off the pitch so far too.

Ha, don't worry I know. Crouchinho is a legend, a brilliant example of where an intelligent player quite often beats a 'classic athlete' type.

Â