Libor Kozák

samjp26

Who even plays 4-4-2 anymore?

Who put in that cross for Kozak's goal? Quality.

Rosicky made a really great pass to Jiracek who delivered the cross. Jiracek is a really good midfielder but he has been injured for nearly a year. 

You guys looking for a new manager now as well. I hear Trapattoni is available  ;)

We will likely go Czech but I honestly wouldn't mind Trapattoni. Anyone would be better than what we had. Bilek was disliked heavily in Czech.

I would not wish Trapattoni on our worst enemies.

In fact if he did go to England (  :D ), it would almost be as bad because we'd still be subjected to his "football" and we'd still be listening to people talking about him 24/7.

That's obviously a moot point but be careful what you wish for Czechlad!

Who even plays 4-4-2 anymore?

Who put in that cross for Kozak's goal? Quality.

Rosicky made a really great pass to Jiracek who delivered the cross. Jiracek is a really good midfielder but he has been injured for nearly a year. 

You guys looking for a new manager now as well. I hear Trapattoni is available  ;)

We will likely go Czech but I honestly wouldn't mind Trapattoni. Anyone would be better than what we had. Bilek was disliked heavily in Czech.

I would not wish Trapattoni on our worst enemies.

In fact if he did go to England (  :D ), it would almost be as bad because we'd still be subjected to his "football" and we'd still be listening to people talking about him 24/7.

That's obviously a moot point but be careful what you wish for Czechlad!

Is he really that bad? I thought he was a decent manager but I didn't watch much Irish football.

If you have the correct players, 4-4-2 is great. I think it was Wenger who said that it cannot be matched in terms of coverage of the pitch.

City played it against Newcastle when they beat them 4-0 and looked outstanding.

On paper yes but in reality there was so much interchange and free movement that it never really operated as a 4-4-2. Silva (as he does) spent lots of time drifting inside. Aguero had quite a free role also and Dzeko ran the channels quite often. Similar to Spain when they used to play Villa and Torres together. It was listed as a 4-4-2 but in reality it never operated as such. Rather it was a fluid and interchangeable system that cannot really be summarised by a few numbers. We haven't got the players with anywhere near the intelligence to play it like that.

As for the Wenger comment, if he did actually say that then it is strange that he never makes any sort of effort to play 4-4-2 himself. Actions speak louder then words and all that...

I know we can't play it like that, we don't have the personnel. I was just making an example of how it can still work in the modern game. 

• Like 1

I know we can't play it like that, we don't have the personnel. I was just making an example of how it can still work in the modern game.

My point being that it wasn't really a 4-4-2. The basic shape of the team hardly ever resembled as such.

Really hoping that Libor is a success at Villa. I've a soft spot for Czech sportsmen (my all time sporting hero was a Czech speedway rider), I've particularly admired their football team's achievements over the years, so it would be nice to see a resurgence for them led by our new boy.

Really hoping that Libor is a success at Villa. I've a soft spot for Czech sportsmen (my all time sporting hero was a Czech speedway rider), I've particularly admired their football team's achievements over the years, so it would be nice to see a resurgence for them led by our new boy.

As long as he's better than our last Czech striker.

images-pictures-players-milan-baros.jpg

As long as he's better than our last Czech striker.

images-pictures-players-milan-baros.jpg

True

Or Ivo Stas, who I can't even find a picture of!!

Edited by turnbull

Baros was dreadful. He made his name by somehow ending Euro 2000 (or was it '04?) as top scorer. Then he signed for Liverpool, and after being a bit rubbish there, ended up with us where he was even more rubbish, plus basically pissed off at finding himself sliding down the football pecking order. For us he was mostly bored and lazy, which is to be expected whenever we pick up failures from bigger clubs unless they're Paul McGrath. Turned out well, though, MON somehow managed to swap him for John Carew.

Luckily now we have a policy of signing young players who look like they might turn out to be good at football, rather than signing celebrities who might never be good at football ever again.

• Like 2

The swap deal involving Baros and Carew was initiated by Houllier apparently.

Probably true seeing as Carew came from abroad. Best thing Houllier ever did for us if so.

The best thing Houllier ever did for us was sign Darren Bent, saved us in 10/11.

In all honesty, was Carew even that good for us? He had a good first season or two, but went off the boil pretty quickly and looked lazy ever since the nightclub incident.

I still love him though :D

Â