Libor Kozák

samjp26

That was a quality goal from start to finish. Reminded me of the disallowed goal scored by  Danny Graham recently for Hull against Man City at the Etihad who ran in to score from an offside position when he should have just checked & held his run.

This shows that Kozak is a very intelligent player who knows how to time his runs into the box & finish with aplomb.

Bring on the geordies.

4-4-2 is a retrograde formation that leaves you short in the middle of the park, which happens to be where games are generally won or lost in modern football. Don't see why there is still so much clamour for it still.

If you have the correct players, 4-4-2 is great. I think it was Wenger who said that it cannot be matched in terms of coverage of the pitch.

City played it against Newcastle when they beat them 4-0 and looked outstanding.

Edited by adz.villa
  • Like 1

exactly right. We would be more effective in a 442 with Gabby and Benteke upfront provided we had two wingers and a strong DM.

Since we dont (and as PL found out last season) a 433/451 works better with the players we have.

I always thought it was more a case of Lambert wanting to play a 4-3-3 and that's why he bought the players he did in the first place.

I'm not a fan of 4-4-2. It can work as state above, but against the better teams we'd get shown up. We played with wingers under MON and whereas we were great on the counter-attack, it wasn't ever going to be a formation that brought sustainable success, as we'd give up most of the possession in midfield. I much prefer watching us play now than I did under MON. I hated watching us go 1-0 up early on and then sitting back and letting the opposition attack us for the rest of the game until the obvious happened and they'd break us down.

More 4-3-3 please.

Edited by Ginko

Have seen/heard a fair bit about Kozak's goal scoring record, most notably the fact that while he scored 10 in 11 in Europa League last season, he also managed none in 19 apps in Serie A last season!

Thought I'd look a bit more at this, and found the following quite interesting (dunno if anyone has mentioned this before here...)

Career minutes per goal (from transfermarkt, includes International and youth internationl games in some cases):

Benteke - 171

Weimann - 173 (including Reserves/U19 league games! 216 not including these)

Kozak - 177

Helenius - 181

Bent - 182

Agbonlahor - 335

If this is anything to go by, with Kozak (and Helenius) we may well have got ourselves a couple of Benteke-esque bargains this transfer window.

• Like 3

If you have the correct players, 4-4-2 is great. I think it was Wenger who said that it cannot be matched in terms of coverage of the pitch.

City played it against Newcastle when they beat them 4-0 and looked outstanding.

On paper yes but in reality there was so much interchange and free movement that it never really operated as a 4-4-2. Silva (as he does) spent lots of time drifting inside. Aguero had quite a free role also and Dzeko ran the channels quite often. Similar to Spain when they used to play Villa and Torres together. It was listed as a 4-4-2 but in reality it never operated as such. Rather it was a fluid and interchangeable system that cannot really be summarised by a few numbers. We haven't got the players with anywhere near the intelligence to play it like that.

As for the Wenger comment, if he did actually say that then it is strange that he never makes any sort of effort to play 4-4-2 himself. Actions speak louder then words and all that...

Who even plays 4-4-2 anymore?

Who put in that cross for Kozak's goal? Quality.

Rosicky made a really great pass to Jiracek who delivered the cross. Jiracek is a really good midfielder but he has been injured for nearly a year. 

Rosicky made a really great pass to Jiracek who delivered the cross. Jiracek is a really good midfielder but he has been injured for nearly a year. 

You guys looking for a new manager now as well. I hear Trapattoni is available  ;)

You guys looking for a new manager now as well. I hear Trapattoni is available  ;)

We will likely go Czech but I honestly wouldn't mind Trapattoni. Anyone would be better than what we had. Bilek was disliked heavily in Czech.

Â