Audi A4 or A6

TrentVilla

I'm on the verge of getting either an A4 Avant or an A6 , I was dead set on the A4 but I've been offered a stupidly good deal on the A6.

So good folks of Off Topic, any A4 or A6 drivers amongst you? Or anyone know any?

I'm tempted by the offer on the A6 and the additional space but is the thing just too big for city driving and parking?

Anyone with any views of owning one or the other of these I'd like to hear your thoughts, or if anyone works for Audi even better.

Thanks in advance.

Don't buy a diesel unless you'll be doing mainly motorway miles, the diesel particulate filter is a huge problem with most VAG cars, I know quite a few people who've offloaded their Audis because they were sick of it going into limp mode because the filter was blocked and if it won't regenerate (driving for miles in a low gear at high revs - there's that famous German sense of humour,) which it often won't then it isn't cheap to replace and all because you tried to drive economically.

Skodas don't seem to suffer from it as much but Audis and VWs do.

I love both, size is the difference maker. To me size means the feeling of space inside a car, and A6 is great in that regard. Also, if you have a family and need to transport golf bags etc. Personally I don't think A6 is too big to drive in the city. For a single guy A4 is more sporty, and a bit more affordable. Had no major problems with two A6's I've had. Both 2,4 Liter V6 engine.

Edited by AVTuco

Thanks for the input so far guys.

It will be a family car used for UK holidays etc for me the misses, a child under one and everything that goes with them and a dog plus hopefully another kid within the time we own the car.

So the space of the A6 is appealing especially on the deal I've been offered.

I do need to park in a multi-story car park every day though which concerns me a little from Blandy's comment.

I like the more sporty feel of the A4 but think I'm swayed to the A6, both are the Avant models.

Good point on tyres/servicing Chrisp.

Choffer, if you are seriously looking at A6's I'm happy to share on PM details of the deal they've offered.

Any more input welcome guys.

Test the seats! I find the ones in bigger cars like the A6/E-class/V70/5-series are much MUCH more comfortable. Doesn't matter on short routes but I do 100 miles daily and then it matters.

outside, in the office car park right now are two very similar looking big black cars

mine has £65 Bridgestones or Continentals on it, the other, owned by the nice lady opposite me, has £220 tyres on the back and different sized wheels with £160 tyres on the front

I'd like to say it was planning on my part, but I fluked it. I know to look out for it next time mind!

I've only just learnt that, hence a move to Bridgestone.

To get totally car nerd for a while: Conti's are silent and comfy but last about 6 months, Bridge are same price, noisier, last a lot longer.

Hey, up until fairly recently I'd have been on whatever tyre was on offer the day the metal mesh started showing through my current tyre!

Neither. Octavia Estate.

Out of the 2 I'd go for the A4. Unless all you'll be doing is just cruising up and down the motorway, the A6 is just a little too big in my opinion. It will make multi-storeys and tescos quite hard to deal with.

I've had a Passat saloon, A4 cabriolet, and now an Octavia VRS hatch. The Octavia is the Golf platform but with more or less the same interior space as the A4 / Passat.

And on tyres, since I bought some a few years back, I've not used anything but Falken. They're a premium tyre at a budget price. I find tyre snobbery a bit pointless as all you do is spend loads of money for no reason on tyres that perform just the same or even worse than something like Falken.

Choffer, if you are seriously looking at A6's I'm happy to share on PM details of the deal they've offered.

Thanks for the offer, Trent. Not looking very seriously at the moment. More likely to be nearer the end of the year when I've an idea of what my bonus looks like.

Â