The History Thread

maqroll

Today, the 15th of September, is the anniversary of the Battle of Britain, which included 375 Spitfires.

Anyone not embarrassed by jingostic emotions might enjoy the film, The First Of The Few, which celebrates the life and contribution of R J Mitchell, the designer of the Spitfire.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Love stuff like this! 

Although the remember the time very well, I'm still surprised how much Brum as changed and how much more 'polished' it looks today

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Fascinating. Yet sad as well.

Looking at the bloke on the right of the video at 1:07. Would that be ricketts making him walk like that? Or polio? 

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

Fascinating. Yet sad as well.

Looking at the bloke on the right of the video at 1:07. Would that be ricketts making him walk like that? Or polio? 

Oh jesus yeah. The kid on the left (of the 2 posing) on 53 looks like he's pretty ill as well.  So much poverty and malnutrition in what was the richest country that existed on earth, possibly ever at that time. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kinda coinciding with the similar discussion elsewhere about whether life was better or not in years gone by, a thread about spoilt kids through the years.

<spoiler alert> I bet those “over-dressed” and “over-petted” kids in 1895 were an absolute menace to society.

As well as being…erm… “unbearably pert” :suspect:

On 09/12/2022 at 02:20, sidcow said:

Anyone remember when Skype was a thing?

I use it occasionally for job interviews, still seems to be a thing in the world of ESL teaching. But that is literally the only time I use it, and it's so infrequent that I end up resetting my password every single time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not a perfect video, but still... I guess impressive is the wrong word but still. Everyone knows the British empire was once a quarter of the planet but if you chuck in any military incursion the UK has made into another land we've invaded 60% of the countries on the planet at one time or another.

The video starts with a gag is that is shockingly accurate - God Save the King was the last boss music for many a nation.

• 2 weeks later...
Â