The History Thread

maqroll

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Tomorrow today? Where is the USB port knob head? 

Gramophone in the boot. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

75 years ago today Stan Jones released a single. Little did he know that a slight change of words and it would be sung by close to a million people a year.

Happy birthday HEITS 

• Like 3

While we're on naval warfare... 

HMS Aston Villa was originally a Trawler (built in 1937) but was converted to a Minesweeper, and taken into the Royal Navy in 1939. Sadly, it was destroyed by German Bombers in 1940 off the coast of Norway. 

FB_IMG_1686163749597.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

While we're on naval warfare... 

HMS Aston Villa was originally a Trawler (built in 1937) but was converted to a Minesweeper, and taken into the Royal Navy in 1939. Sadly, it was destroyed by German Bombers in 1940 off the coast of Norway. 

FB_IMG_1686163749597.jpg

Yeah but we got our revenge in 1982.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@tonyh29

I thought this would be of interest. 

Montgomery's note to British Forces on the eve of D Day found in charity shop book. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2230551/amp/Montgomerys-note-British-forces-eve-D-Day-charity-shop-book.html

The letter in the article looks identical to your copy.  I guess they were reproduced at some point. The original letter is still held in the archives. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Added sumfink
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

@tonyh29

I thought this would be of interest. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2230551/amp/Montgomerys-note-British-forces-eve-D-Day-charity-shop-book.html

The letter in the article looks identical to your copy.  I guess they were reproduced at some point. The original letter is still held in the archives. 

there seems to be a few kicking around , I did wonder at first if it was something purchased from the Imperial War museum gift shop as they were selling a Christmas letter from Monty that was very similar , but another website suggested that they printed hundreds of this letter and Monty then signed them all  !

I had a closer look at the on on the story you kindly linked and I thought ours was identical , given credence to the copy theory , but the red ink at the top of ours starts in a  slightly different position  , so its not quite an "exact" copy of that one  ..

it was in amongst  some of his other army papers so all quite intriguing ...  we'll have a bit of fun trying to establish if its real or not  , be nice if it is , we can see if a museum would want to display it or something 

• 1 month later...

In 1955 the British government tabled a requirement for an interceptor to counter the new generation of Soviet supersonic bombers.

At this point the wartime aircraft manufacturers were still seperate entities.

The tendered designs were peak sexy British aviation history.

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Â