The History Thread

maqroll

John Robson in there?

My Dad had a trial with Wille Anderson at Villa. Both got invited back for a second trial but only Willie got picked. my Dad did say he was much better than anyone else

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Plague fleas, infected clothing, and infected supplies encased in bombs were dropped on various targets. The resulting cholera, anthrax, and plague were estimated to have killed around and possibly more than 400,000 Chinese civilians.[24] Tularemia was tested on Chinese civilians.[25]

Unit 731 and its affiliated units (Unit 1644 and Unit 100 among others) were involved in research, development, and experimental deployment of epidemic-creating biowarfare weapons in assaults against the Chinese populace (both civilian and military) throughout World War II. Plague-infested fleas, bred in the laboratories of Unit 731 and Unit 1644, were spread by low-flying airplanes upon Chinese cities, coastal Ningbo in 1940, and Changde, Hunan Province, in 1941. This military aerial spraying killed thousands of people with bubonic plague epidemics.[26]

Unit 731

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Chilcot Inquiry report to be published 6th July.

Blair is probably googling counties that we don't have extradition treaties with about now 

probability it's a white-wash? Either; 

(i) Completely exonerates all and sundry.

(ii) Things were so complex, many, many variables, systematic failure, oh so very, very complex. Let's form a committee and compile another report and make some recommendations so this never happens again.

53 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Blair is probably googling counties that we don't have extradition treaties with about now 

Pretty sure he'll come up blank on that one

On August 27, 2013 at 03:47, The_Rev said:

WW2 is fascinating.   I'd love to be a bit more up to speed about the North and East African campaigns (which I believe were mostly just us stomping on Italy) though.  Anybody got any good links or videos?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberation-Trilogy-Boxed-Set/dp/1627790594/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462860527&sr=8-3&keywords=the+liberation+trilogy

Written with a focus on the specifics of the American campaign in North Africa, Italy and D-Day onward. That said, it does not give short shrift to major British players, efforts and motives, and highlights how big a factor vanity and personal ambition factored in to so many monumental decisions.

The American Morocco landing was in some ways more unlikely and dramatic than Normandy. 

The books have fascinating insight into the relationships at high levels amongst all the Allies. Battle analysis is never dull. He writes like a poet at times, he's that good. Total precision.

Edited by maqroll

The standard received British version that I grew up with, runs something like: 

1. British whip Italians 

2. Rommel rocks up, whips British 

3. Montgomery rocks up, whips Rommel at El Alamein 

4. Americans stroll ashore unopposed, get whipped by Rommel at Kasserine Pass 

5. Americans get their act together, invade Italy 

6. Allies slog their way through Italy until Germans run out of steam 

Always worth digging a bit deeper. 

30 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Back from Berlin yesterday.

Wow. The whole place is a living museum. WW2/Cold war.

Probably my favourite city.

Ich bin ein Berliner.

Never been to Berlin, would like to go, but... 

I have this mental picture of pre-war (and immediate post-war) Berlin which doesn't chime with what I assume is now a very modern city. I fear I would find that disappointing. 

Â