The History Thread

maqroll

The Eastern front was ridiculous. I know there were more casualties at the battle of Stalingrad than the British Empire (ie us and all the colonies such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India etc) and the United States suffered during the entire war. I guess it's possible that they consider the western front to be insignificant.

Maybe you were being trolled Soviet style.

• 3 weeks later...

I've dropped this in the history thread because I don't want it to be part of the whole ISIS refugee topic.

A few days ago I saw a claim that British soldiers in recent history would use beheading as a tactic or methodology. It seemed a bit far fetched to me so I've done a little digging and there isn't much out there. But there are a few websites I'm less than confident in (such as wikipedia) that do appear to back this up.

The main claims appear to be that post war, when we were still trying to hang on to Burma and Malaya, between 1948 and 1952, the army would capture and kill rebels and rather than have to bring back all the bodies they only brought back the heads. That in 1952 the British army were beheading the opposition in the jungle and that had it been a 'war' situation and not 1948, it 'might' at the time have been seen as a war crime.

Never heard of this before - anybody out there know if there's any legitimacy in the claims? It's just a bit of a crazy contrast if 'we' were doing this 60 years ago and now we think it is beyond barbaric in 2015.

Might be myth.

From the little I've read on this the decapations  were carried out by locals ( the Dyaks ) rather than by British personnel ... It was happening with the knowledge of some of the British high command though 

What do you reckon is the best documentary on the Second World War?

I want to learn more about it. One of those things that I got taught about it at school but I just wasn't interested in it at the time so I didn't retain any knowledge.

The World at War series can't be topped IMO. Pretty comprehensive assessment of the whole thing. 

I'd also look at the BBC Series "The Nazis: A Warning from History" that was pretty good too. Depends what you're after really - the actual conflict, causes, politics? Its too huge to sum up in one documentary

• Like 2

World at War DVDs (and probably Youtube) is a good place to start.

You'll be amazed at how much that war still affects us.  I certainly found Berlin a place where war was still very much in your face (with any old buildings war scarred and any new buildings a result of us and the allies bombing the shit out of it.

Why do you think Coventry is such a shit hole? 

What do you reckon is the best documentary on the Second World War?

I want to learn more about it. One of those things that I got taught about it at school but I just wasn't interested in it at the time so I didn't retain any knowledge.

Jeremy Isaacs' The World at War is pretty damned good and just hearing the theme music always makes me emotional.

Olivier's narration is stunning: matter of fact but loaded with horror and portent.

Classic stuff.

• Like 2

And I suppose it's worth mentioning again that Dan Carlin's 'Ghosts of the Ostfront' episodes in his Hardcore History podcast series are absolutely phenomenal. If you get goosebumps listening to a podcast, they're doing something right.

• 4 weeks later...

RE: WW2 stuff

It you can get hold of Dan Carlin's 'Ghosts of the Ostfront' which is a 20 (ish) hour long podcast about the war between Russia and Germany then you'll hear a great telling of a story we tend not to hear too much of in the west. 

• Like 1

RE: WW2 stuff

It you can get hold of Dan Carlin's 'Ghosts of the Ostfront' which is a 20 (ish) hour long podcast about the war between Russia and Germany then you'll hear a great telling of a story we tend not to hear too much of in the west. 

I had that before but never got round to listening to it. Thanks for the reminder

Â