Corners

myb

Long time browser, occasional poster, never a topic starter. So, how bad are we at corners? We do the same thing time, time, time again with absolutely no joy whatsoever. Westwood floated chip to the back post for someone to (fail miserably) to attack. Benteke had joy twice last season from these (Sunderland and Reading) but that was about it. I love Lambert, but this baffles me.

There are probably statistics that show what kind of corner is the best kind, wether it's hard, soft, curling inwards or outwards, but let's not make the game to technical. I have always liked the corners that are curled from the outside to the inside, just like Seb Larsson today when Sunderland scored after a couple of minutes vs. Southampton. With these corners you create danger even though it doesn't hit one of our players directly, because it can create havoc with so many players at the same place etc etc - it's also much easier to attack the ball on the first post and latch it further into the box, where everything can happen.

The lumps from Westwood are a total waste of time, because it means it has to hit our player right on the head and we know it's much easier to defend a corner than to score from one. They have no pace, which means that players like Toure has time to attack it and clear it out of danger. Even if it hits our player there is no momentum to create a really hard header. Again, when we have corners we never seem to create anything in particular and we should change it. Not criticizing Westwood really, he can just change his approach to it all, starting to hit them harder and with more curl. Reminds me a bit of Paul Scholes when he took corners for United, always the lump with a bit of backspin and they never scored. When Beckham took them they created much more. We could also just play it short and make a cross from further down the pitch when allowed by the opposition..

Surely we must at least try someone else from corners.

Westwood's floated ones are almost as poor as Bannan's. Is this the instruction from Lambert?

Tonev put in the only decent in-swinging corner I've seen from a Villa player for ages, against Malaga.

Nothing to do with Lambert, though. Our uselessness at corners has survived several recent managers. A bit like being useless from throw-ins.

I disagree. It has everything to do with Lambert.  I think Lambert is setting our team up so Benteke is at the back post and whoever is taking it (Bannan, Westwood or Bacuna) seem to always float it to him. They must be instructed to do that.  Benteke must be instructed to always go to the back post too. 

Teams work on corners in training a lot, that must be the only way Lambert has us practicing corners. Lambert is the manager too, he should see that the corners are a bit crap and he should instruct the team to mix it up a bit. 

Just as the manager sets the team up for set-pieces defensively, he does offensively too. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

I told you last season it wasn't Bannan's decision to float in corners. It's tactical decision taken by coaching staff.

He got the blame for them time and again. People wanted him out of the team because of them. Now Westwood is getting the same treatment. 

BTW I entirely agree that we should use more whipped corners.

Back in the day Kent Nielsen near post flick on from a corner was deadly! I don't know why we don't stick Benteke there to flick them on to whoever running in. Anything but floaters please!

Incidentally we could probably do with taking some notes from the millions of set pieces we concede from.

Unfortunately those notes would simply say 'Make sure your opponent has a really really dodgy defence'.

• Like 1

Surely we have to try something new from them.

It's got to a point where I don't get excited at all when we get them.

Agreed everytime we got a corner in MON's time here, I thought we would score. Young's fast paced delivery with the likes of Laursen and Carew in the box.

Just don't agree with it being floated at all.

Â