VillaGoMarching

What's most noticeable on that is that it's the players, not the club refunding the ticket cost.

Levy wouldn't have given them a penny.

He's probably trying to figure out if he can claim back the NI or pension costs on that as we speak.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I find that insulting to Newcastle and to the opponent whenever this kind of shit comes out. It's basically 'losing to this lot is unacceptable'. You were battered. Suck it up buttercup. Shit happens, and it will happen again in the future. And as for the fans, they should take their bad day on the chin. The sensitive entitled ****.

Don’t disagree with them having to just take it on the chin. But I think it’s losing 6-1 to Newcastle rather than losing to Newcastle.

I don’t think either a refund or an apologetic statement happens if they lose 2-1. So in that regard I don’t think it should be considered an insult to Newcastle.

My issue with this sort of stuff is where’s the cut off point? Would they have issued an apology and a refund had they lost 4-0? 3-0?

And just to show my cards with that way of thinking, I was on here slating the Villa players and saying they shouldn’t have been paid after the Stevenage game. Would I have said that if they lost to a Championship side? I don’t know. It’s less likely, I admit.

Is this apology in actual fact a cloaked acknowledgment of the wider problems at the club, but it’s taken the Newcastle result to act as the proverbial last straw? It comes across like it is.

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Don’t disagree with them having to just take it on the chin. But I think it’s losing 6-1 to Newcastle rather than losing to Newcastle.

I don’t think either a refund or an apologetic statement happens if they lose 2-1. So in that regard I don’t think it should be considered an insult to Newcastle.

My issue with this sort of stuff is where’s the cut off point? Would they have issued an apology and a refund had they lost 4-0? 3-0?

And just to show my cards with that way of thinking, I was on here slating the Villa players and saying they shouldn’t have been paid after the Stevenage game. Would I have said that if they lost to a Championship side? I don’t know. It’s less likely, I admit.

Is this apology in actual fact a cloaked acknowledgment of the wider problems at the club, but it’s taken the Newcastle result to act as the proverbial last straw? It comes across like it is.

Even using your example. Newcastle are one of the four clubs in the country above them in the table and looking like a Champions League qualifier. Stevenage are league 2. I still wouldn't be asking for no pay after the latter, but it's at least a much more understandable reaction. The Spurs one is utterly bizarre.

For me the message and gesture is in very poor taste, but not for the reasons mentioned above. It's not that they lost, or even that they lost heavily, it's the fact that by sending this message, the players are accepting culpability. The only thing a player can be culpable of is not trying their best. Everything else, their place in the team, their selection, their recruitment, everything else is on the management team. 

By accepting culpability the players are admitting that they were at fault in their only job- endeavour. 

And as a result the manager lost his job (I couldn't stand him, but that's irrelevant). His sacking is therefore the fault of the players, and I think that's pretty disgusting. I wouldn't want any of those players anywhere near VP, unless they are driving past on their way to Manchester on the M6.

• Like 1

Can you imagine how insulting it would have been if Liverpool players offered refunds after we beat them 7-2? They were the reigning champions and we had just survived by a solitary point just 4 games prior. It'd be a lot more understandable than losing to the team above you in the table some 32 odd games in.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I find that insulting to Newcastle and to the opponent whenever this kind of shit comes out. It's basically 'losing to this lot is unacceptable'. You were battered. Suck it up buttercup. Shit happens, and it will happen again in the future. And as for the fans, they should take their bad day on the chin. The sensitive entitled ****.

Not like our fans haven't demanded money back before for poor performances...

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not like our fans haven't demanded money back before for poor performances...

Big difference between fans mouthing off like they always do, and professional players insulting their peers.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Big difference between fans mouthing off like they always do, and professional players insulting their peers.

I think spurs fans dis mouth off about wanting refunds though if you listen to TS some fans were saying it

Don't care about players deciding to pay back the fans, but in general I hate this culture where it's expected that players apologise. Man Utd are the worst for it, grovelling apologies on social media after every loss. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Don't care about players deciding to pay back the fans, but in general I hate this culture where it's expected that players apologise. Man Utd are the worst for it, grovelling apologies on social media after every loss. 

I pray to read these Sunday!

• Like 2

On 04/04/2023 at 09:56, handsworthlion said:

Catchable...

On 04/04/2023 at 10:49, S-Platt said:

After 18 games we were 11 points behind we have closed the gap to 9 points after we have played 28 and they have played 29.

We play them again at home in our last 10 games.

We keep winning anything is possible but that is the key winning every game.

Can't see it happening but Unai will give us the chance and that is all you can ask for as fans.

(Dj Khaled Voice) Another One!

They Have Been Unai'd

I also think there will be clear daylight between us and then before we play them.

It wasn’t just the loss, or even that it was a big loss. It was the way they didn’t even turn up. They conceded in the first minute and kept conceding over and over. The tie was settled after 20 minutes. It’s a bit of a travesty when fans have traveled all the way up to Newcastle for it. I can see why they felt something had to be done after the fact for this one. 

On 25/04/2023 at 16:16, BOF said:

Yep. And in the interest of fairness and balance, I fully expect the Spurs fans to pay double after their next victory.

Entitled p****s.

I'm torn on it tbh. Clubs treat fans/supporters like customers these days, and as a customer you have a right to complain and get your money back when the product is shite. What are we to clubs? Fans, or customers? They can't have it both ways. I don't think clubs should reimburse fans for crap performances but equally if fans weren't gouged for ticket prices and people had paid £15-20 to be there they wouldn't be half as bothered. You can't charge people a premium for a "high end product" and have players turning up not arsed. 

Â