Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I can understand people having trouble with "their" (belonging to them) and "there" (that place), as there is no OBVIOUS way of knowing the difference other than just learning it.

But "they're" is easy and should be obvious: it's "they are", with the apostrophe standing in for the missing "a".

Following on from the apostrophe thing, people who don't know the difference between they're, there and their. I despair at the spelling ability (or lack thereof) of the current crop of kids at school. I blame phonetic spelling for such travesties as "gawjus" instead of gorgeous.

I sometimes wonder if phoentic spelling, such as that, affects kids who are currently learning how to write and spell. I use 'txt speak', but I didn't grow up with it. Correct spelling and grammar was already drilled in to me (I'm double checking this paragraph after I write it :) )

On the 'their, there and they're' thing, I know the difference and it bugs me when I see it in the wrong context, but I've done it loads of times myself. I think it's carelessness and laziness more than anything and so on a forum such as this, or on facebook for example, it doesn't bother me too much

The worst type of writing on something like facebook is neither correct or incorrect badly (like txt speak) but the people who try to write properly and also somehow think capitals make it look right?

"Absolutely Buzzing For The Game Later. Its Going To Be Great."

What? why would you do that? shut up.

I sometimes wonder if phoentic spelling, such as that, affects kids who are currently learning how to write and spell. I use 'txt speak', but I didn't grow up with it. Correct spelling and grammar was already drilled in to me (I'm double checking this paragraph after I write it :) )

Of for fu..

Typo :oops:

The worst type of writing on something like facebook is neither correct or incorrect badly (like txt speak) but the people who try to write properly and also somehow think capitals make it look right?

I do this a lot and i'm not entirely sure why, force of habit as much as anything. Quite often find myself going back over something and removing all the capital letters.

I do this a lot and i'm not entirely sure why, force of habit as much as anything. Quite often find myself going back over something and removing all the capital letters.

I find it acceptable in certain circumstances, which I can best describe as "ironic quoting", where there is some reference to a phrase or saying, and you want to draw attention to it - e.g. You Are Shillz And I Claim My Five Pounds. Or: There Is No Alternative. Or: (VT special) Up The Wrong 'Un. :)

These are often phrases which are regularly expressed as acronyms, but in this case expressed in full, but with their acronym capitals intact.

I find it acceptable in certain circumstances, which I can best describe as "ironic quoting", where there is some reference to a phrase or saying, and you want to draw attention to it - e.g. You Are Shillz And I Claim My Five Pounds. Or: There Is No Alternative. Or: (VT special) Up The Wrong 'Un. :)

These are often phrases which are regularly expressed as acronyms, but in this case expressed in full, but with their acronym capitals intact.

Yup, all pretty acceptable I'd say.

My brand of capital letter mis-use can be far more extreme, and far less acceptable. I have no idea why the little finger on my left hand is so keen on the shift button, but it seemingly is, annoyingly.

Â