Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Beck Hansen is a bloomin' musical genius. Massive talent. People who've only heard his famous stuff "Loser", Nicotine & Gravy (Mmmm, gravy) etc. are missing a treat, IMO.

Sea Change is a fantastic album, for example. One of my absolute favourites, and not like the tracks people know.

Was literally walking in the sunshine listening to this today. 

It's very rare that I'd describe an album as "beautiful" but it applies here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

It's very rare that I'd describe an album as "beautiful" but it applies here.

It sounds beautiful. Lyrically I think it's a bit dark in places - like a break up album where the break up was not completely amicable. I sort of assume that's what it's about, really.

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

It sounds beautiful. Lyrically I think it's a bit dark in places - like a break up album where the break up was not completely amicable. I sort of assume that's what it's about, really.

It's darkness that teaches the beauty of light ~ | Light and dark quotes,  Light quotes, Light in the dark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

deep down you know and like the song Loser . Everybody does

I honestly don't. That was one that somebody on here mentioned, so I gave it a go. Just tried again, for my second ever hearing of it. No chance. It's a **** ing rap. I hate rap, and this is no exception. 

BTW I don't like everything that Jeff B has done, not by a long chalk. But if I have to choose a Beck, it would be Jeffrey every time. 

OK, Beck (Hansen) fans - convert me. You know the sort of thing I like. Hit me with five tracks and I'll give them a fair listen. "Loser" has already been eliminated, so I'm hoping that's not the best he has to offer. 

5 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Thinking about Michael Cera playing Beck in an inevitable biopic.

May never happen but I'm mad that it might.

On the back of this, I’ve had a look around and can’t see anything suggesting such a project is in the works ... just so I’m clear, is this biopic and casting choice something you’ve thought up and subsequently annoyed yourself about?

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

On the back of this, I’ve had a look around and can’t see anything suggesting such a project is in the works ... just so I’m clear, is this biopic and casting choice something you’ve thought up and subsequently annoyed yourself about?

Yes.

And I'm furious about it .

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Yes.

And I'm furious about it .

If it’s any consolation I don’t think Beck is a prime candidate to get the Hollywood treatment, unless there’s something I’m completely oblivious to in his life away from music (which is certainly possible).

Secondly I think if they did do a biopic, by the time they got round to making it, Cera would be far too old for the role. Well certainly too old to play the first 10-15 years of Beck’s career.

My suggestion is, in your head, when you’re picturing Michael Cera in the role, just superimpose Jesse Eisenberg instead of him. I guarantee it’ll do better at the Brumamerican box office too.

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If it’s any consolation I don’t think Beck is a prime candidate to get the Hollywood treatment, unless there’s something I’m completely oblivious to in his life away from music (which is certainly possible).

Secondly I think if they did do a biopic, by the time they got round to making it, Cera would be far too old for the role. Well certainly too old to play the first 10-15 years of Beck’s career.

My suggestion is, in your head, when you’re picturing Michael Cera in the role, just superimpose Jesse Eisenberg instead of him. I guarantee it’ll do better at the Brumamerican box office too.

Scientologist if I remember rightly. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Scientologist if I remember rightly. 

Hmm not particularly cinematic, I’d guess anyway.

It seems like the criteria is more sex or drugs or an untimely death...ideally all three really. Something self destructive. Or overcoming of some adversity (“Ray”, for instance).

There’s probably an exception somewhere. Haven’t seen that Dylan one with the various actors playing him.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

There’s probably an exception somewhere. Haven’t seen that Dylan one with the various actors playing him.

It's brilliant. Although you get more out of it if you know your Dylan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Probably belongs in another thread, but I still get thrown when I hear/see someone reference 'Beck' in a music conversation. My initial assumption is always that they are talking about THE Beck. The good one. The more famous one. Jeff. 

My Dad would immediately think of this Beck-

https://moorewilsons.co.nz/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/becks/becks-24pk-330ml-31.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

OK, Beck (Hansen) fans - convert me. You know the sort of thing I like. Hit me with five tracks and I'll give them a fair listen. "Loser" has already been eliminated, so I'm hoping that's not the best he has to offer. 

Sea change album. Have a dip in to  that, Mike. I’m trying to think of the track names, not googling, Golden Age opens it, Lost cause, Sunday Sun...like @Brumericansays, it’s beautiful. For me it’s by a distance the best thing he’s ever done. But stuff like “MTV makes me wanna smoke crack” are kind of an insight, too.

Â