Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Its both sides of the Ribble. We organise advertising be distributed by Royal Mail, they do it by postcode.

We want to advertise in Tarleton and Hesketh Banks but to do that we'd have to advertise in Wharton, which is bloody silly

Ah, I see. That does seem daft.

people spelling place names wrong pisses me off. For example spelling Warton as Wharton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Clocks going forward, just **** off.

No doubt i'll be subjected to the usual 'funny' tales tomorrow at work from the same people who always forget to put the clocks forward/back and get to an appointment early/late as a result. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

No doubt i'll be subjected to the usual 'funny' tales tomorrow at work from the same people who always forget to put the clocks forward/back and get to an appointment early/late as a result. 

And managed to be oblivious for an entire day, when every bit of media mentions it and most clocks and all phones automatically adjust

• Like 1

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Not everyone recycles though.

Really not sure what point you're trying to make there

Are you attempting to say that no one should ever use any paper products again?

Paper products that can be made from sustainable stock and later recycled plus do offer some degree of biodegradability aren't really the devil they were once made out to be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Really not sure what point you're trying to make there

Are you attempting to say that no one should ever use any paper products again?

Paper products that can be made from sustainable stock and later recycled plus do offer some degree of biodegradability aren't really the devil they were once made out to be

Nope, not saying that.

I'm saying junk mail taxi/menus etc that come in the post are a waste of energy for 99% of the time. 

You yourself have said your firm is by far the most popular in your region - so what exactly have you got to gain by buying junk mail?

Also, if something can Be recycled, you still use energy in creating the original form of whatever is recyclable.

Junk mail irritates me is probably the basis of my posts.

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Nope, not saying that.

I'm saying junk mail taxi/menus etc that come in the post are a waste of energy for 99% of the time. 

You yourself have said your firm is by far the most popular in your region - so what exactly have you got to gain by buying junk mail?

Also, if something can Be recycled, you still use energy in creating the original form of whatever is recyclable.

Junk mail irritates me is probably the basis of my posts.

Expansion. That particular area I was talking about isn't in one of our currently licensed areas though it might be in the not to distant future and it’s a huge pain in the arse that it’s postcode crosses the Ribble, it means we'll have to send someone out there and do it ourselves as the other half of the postcode on Blandy’s side of the river is a further two licensed areas away and utterly pointless for us

You'd be wrong on the effectiveness btw. It’s very effective. As effective as the beer mats we give away to pubs and the napkins we give away to cafes & take-aways in conjunction with our huge billboard adverts and radio adverts. The strategy works, 11 million completed bookings a year prove it

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

You'd be wrong on the effectiveness btw. It’s very effective. As effective as the beer mats we give away to pubs and the napkins we give away to cafes & take-aways in conjunction with our huge billboard adverts and radio adverts. The strategy works, 11 million completed bookings a year prove it

That’s averaging just over 30,000 a day if operating 365 days, what’s the percentage/ratio of return customers, account customers and NEW clients, not a snide criticism just interested

13 minutes ago, MickeyC_UTV said:

That’s averaging just over 30,000 a day if operating 365 days, what’s the percentage/ratio of return customers, account customers and NEW clients, not a snide criticism just interested

It kinda varies between 20,000 and 50,000 Sat being the highest Tues being the worst

As for the rest of the question, it’s impossible to answer. We have a network of over 250 freephones and growing, people change their phone number all the time, new batches of students arrive in the city every year, account businesses open and close, phone apps, we've expanded into new areas, 3 new local authorities in the last 2 years, a further one being added hopefully this week. It’s not easy to determine what is and isn’t new business. However completed journeys per year grows year on year, only in one year since for,action in 1968 has the com0leted journey total decreased

In which case it's the emissions of the taxis you need to worry about not the leaflets. 

I'm not suggesting that taxis are bad by the way, just that the environmental impact of the leafletting will be dwarfed by the emissions from the cars. 

2 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

In which case it's the emissions of the taxis you need to worry about not the leaflets. 

I'm not suggesting that taxis are bad by the way, just that the environmental impact of the leafletting will be dwarfed by the emissions from the cars. 

The emissions would be far worse if every individual drove every taxi journey in their own vehicle

I can see the majority of taxi services being electric in about 7 years or so. Currently hybrid is a better taxi solution than all electric. We've had a few Nissan Leaf cars on the fleet, in the main they've been sold on in weeks, the range just isn't there yet to do a full shift in one and going back home to recharge is a huge pain in the ass and isn't practical

9 hours ago, bickster said:

The emissions would be far worse if every individual drove every taxi journey in their own vehicle

I’m unconvinced. If I want to go from my house to, say, the airport in my car I drive exactly the distance to the airport. If I go by taxi, it has to travel from somewhere else to my house, then to the airport and then after dropping me off it’s not always going to have its next job from the airport, so more miles to the start of the next job. More emissions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I’m unconvinced. If I want to go from my house to, say, the airport in my car I drive exactly the distance to the airport. If I go by taxi, it has to travel from somewhere else to my house, then to the airport and then after dropping me off it’s not always going to have its next job from the airport, so more miles to the start of the next job. More emissions.

An airport is a bad example, the average car journey is about 2 miles. Cars pollute more in the first few miles of any journey (esp diesel) and taxis run for hours on hours a day, the emissions savings are due to things like that, taxis generally being more fuel-efficient vehicles and Taxi drivers knowing how to get around traffic jams etc. There have been a few studies on it but I'll be damned if I can find them right now

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

An airport is a bad example, the average car journey is about 2 miles. Cars pollute more in the first few miles of any journey (esp diesel) and taxis run for hours on hours a day, the emissions savings are due to things like that, taxis generally being more fuel-efficient vehicles and Taxi drivers knowing how to get around traffic jams etc. There have been a few studies on it but I'll be damned if I can find them right now

Your point on short journeys is well made, I hadn't thought of that.

On the other hand, taxi drivers sat in their cars in winter, waiting for a job maybe run the engine to stay warm? And regardless of whether an airport is a good or bad example, taxis often have to make an interim journey from the end of one job to the start of the next one, surely? It may not be far in a City or large town (though it may be in slow moving traffic, with stop start and in low gears and with air con on...and all the rest, at least some of the time). Half of the taxis I get in are knackered wrecks, the other half are modern and shiny. Often they are high mileage vehicles which may be past optimum efficiency.

I don't know how it could really be "proven" by a study that taxis are less environmentally damaging? You could make a theoretical argument with some assumptions included e.g. if no one owned a car and all road journeys were made by taxi then....it would be less env. damaging that everyone owning cars and...etc..

Â