Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

6 hours ago, BOF said:

Lena Dunham.

Exhibit A

“There are now big conversations at Oberlin, where I went to college, about cultural appropriation and whether the dining hall sushi and banh mi disrespect certain cuisines. 
The press reported it as, ‘How crazy are Oberlin kids?’ But to me, it was actually, ‘Right on,’” Dunham said.

So she thinks the mere presence of sushi on a cafeteria menu is disrespectful to the country that it came from, because it's somehow 'appropriation'?  WTF?

This is a word removed who admits sexually molesting her own toddler sister in her autobiography and not thinking anything wrong of it.  And she has strong views on food?

**** moron.

A turbo word removed of epic proportions. No doubt there is an element of the white misogynistic patriarchy to blame as well for it.

Is that a weight off your shoulders? :lol:

As an extension to 2. People who put there hazards on when coming to a standstill on the motorway. That's why they invented brake lights you chump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

3. The people, my mother included, who read the TV guides that come with the Saturday papers and basically give the plot away of the soaps for the week ahead. Why read it?! Its like reading a spoiler review before seeing a movie or reading the last page of a book first. 

That's the reason I don't "get" soaps. What joy is there in a TV show where everyone knows what's going to happen all of the time.

The odd time there is a storyline that people don't know the outcome of it's a MASSIVE thing. As if spoiler-free TV is a new invention.

Also, wasn't it Karl who said he reads the last page of a book first so he knows how it ends if he dies before the end of it? Or am I getting confused with that time he read a book in the wrong order?

3 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I'm potentially going to have to move house in a couple of months, I was looking on my work internal internet (kind of like a social media thing for work), to see if there were any adverts for houses to rent. I find a group has been set up, so I click on it to have a look, and it's a closed group. Bit silly I think to myself, as I'd think the more people see the posts the better. I click to join group though, as I could do with having a look. A box then pops up, asking me to justify why I want to join the group? Erm, because I want to adopt a ******* kitten, obviously! Suffice to say I didn't bother sending the request.  

It was probably for donors only.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

When you sit down on the can but you've forgotten to put the seat down. 

I had an "ahem" young lady visit the other day and she decided to put the lid down at some point during the evening. Made my 4am pee, rather splashier than I'm used to.

13 hours ago, Ryan. said:

People who put there hazards on when coming to a standstill on the motorway. That's why they invented brake lights you chump.

You're definitely in the right thread because that certainly shouldn't piss you off.  It's a safety thing.  Braking and coming to a stop are not necessarily the same thing, and especially on a motorway where you don't usually expect to be at a standstill, hazards are there to alert the person behind that this is not a normal situation and to take a second look!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

My car does that automatically if I brake hard on the motorway. Cant really be avoided :)

On that note.  Cars that try to do too much for you.  I do not want a 'clever' car.  I am a good driver in control of my vehicle.  I'll put the wipers on when I need them.  I'll put the headlights on when it needs it.  I'll put the hazards on when it needs them.  The reason this is the right thread for this is because I'm perfectly aware there are bad drivers out there who can't do these things when appropriate, so we do need cars that do it for them.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The features you speak of aren't anything to do with the quality of the driver :D

It's about awareness of surroundings and of what your car should be doing.  IOW if I brake hard, I know when to put the hazards on.  I don't want my car making decisions like that.

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's about awareness of surroundings and of what your car should be doing.  IOW if I brake hard, I know when to put the hazards on.  I don't want my car making decisions like that.

The hazards are completely separate from stuff like auto headlights and wipers. The hazards are a safety feature. If you slam your brakes on on the motorway the hazards come on immediately. Good or bad driver, they'll be on faster than you can put them on. It's the same sort of ballpark as the cars that automatically brake. They're there to be faster than a human.

The wipers and headlights are convenience features. It's got nothing to do with making up for bad drivers who don't know when to put their wipers on :D

Edited by Stevo985

5 hours ago, BOF said:

It's a safety thing.  Braking and coming to a stop are not necessarily the same thing, and especially on a motorway where you don't usually expect to be at a standstill, hazards are there to alert the person behind that this is not a normal situation and to take a second look!

I respectfully disagree :)

You should go on a motorway already being aware that traffic can and often does come to a standstill on motorways. Its a regular occurrence.

If I wasn't paying enough attention to notice brake lights and slowing traffic, whilst keeping a respectable gap, then hazards wouldn't make a jot of difference.

Just now, Ryan. said:

I respectfully disagree :)

You should go on a motorway already being aware that traffic can and often does come to a standstill on motorways. Its a regular occurrence.

If I wasn't paying enough attention to notice brake lights and slowing traffic, whilst keeping a respectable gap, then hazards wouldn't make a jot of difference.

Of course you should!  But fact is some don't.  And I don't want that person killing me ! 'Should' is a very dangerous word on a motorway.

• Like 2

Â