Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

.*Actually, I read an article recently in which an evolutionary scientist stated that evolution developed the menopause in women because beyond a certain age, they become less attractive to men (who would much rather impregnate a younger woman), and so become unneeded in that sense.

This is complete BS! (Sorry if I come over a bit aggressive) This is not how evolution works, evolution occurs from the passing on of genes from parent to offspring with mutations occurring for various properties to adapt (i.e. Opposable thumbs). If a women became infertile because she was no longer attractive to men (which is absurd in itself), how would she pass this property on? She can't, so the trait would not evolve into a trait shared by the entire species just a few select individual members.

The much more likely and supported (I think) theory is that When women become a certain age, the risk of dying in childbirth is much higher and risks the death of unborn children and dependant children she already has, is also higher. Therefore she becomes infertile to avoid her and her children's deaths. Also this process means that the Infertile woman, or "Grandmother", can pass on her wisdom to other younger women who can still bear children and helps the survival of not only her offspring but the entire species. Grandmothers are also hugely important in the development of their Grandchildren, as they then have two or three mothers effectively (Biological and two grandmothers), which means raising a child is not as stressful and draining as it should be, and increases likelihood of survival for the child.

EDIT: I have no idea how I managed to post this four times! :blush:

I really don't know. You'd need to find the journal and argue out with the publishing scientist in question.

When I hear people talking about wanting generally harmless stuff to be banned or made illegal, with no appreciation or care for what they're actually saying in a broader context. That pisses me off and reminds me that we're generally an utterly selfish and highly contemptible creature.

Don't think most of the stuff on that thread was serious, tbh :P

When I hear people talking about wanting generally harmless stuff to be banned or made illegal, with no appreciation or care for what they're actually saying in a broader context. That pisses me off and reminds me that we're generally an utterly selfish and highly contemptible creature.

Don't think most of the stuff on that thread was serious, tbh :P

Mine was a more general comment because I never actually mentioned the thread (1+1=3 ;)). It merely prompted a pre-existing hatred of mine and reminds me in a way of the Martin Niemöller quote.

People who hate the police for nothing more than being the police.

Fair enough if you hate the ones; who are corrupt, shit at their jobs and/or abuse their power; but don't hate the ones who actually try and make a difference.

Had a friend like this and the reason he hated them was because he smoked weed so would get stopped by them quite a lot. This is what pisses me off the most as it tends to be people who break the law and get caught who hate them. 

• Like 1

Fair enough if you hate the ones; who are corrupt, shit at their jobs and/or abuse their power; but don't hate the ones who actually try and make a difference.

Had a friend like this and the reason he hated them was because he smoked weed so would get stopped by them quite a lot. This is what pisses me off the most as it tends to be people who break the law and get caught who hate them. 

Stupid law though.

• Like 1

This thread might interest you so!

Stupid law though.

Oh I agree, I think cannabis should be legal, it's just that if you take part in an activity that is illegal, don't get all upset when you get caught and charged. Like if you go to places like UAE, don't get upset if you get arrested for drinking alcohol, it's illegal no matter your opinion.

What I don't like is how police time is spent e.g. busting a non violent drug offence, when on the other side of town someone could be getting raped or murdered..

Which is why I added the qualifier in my second line, if they ain't doing their job right then by all means hate them, not if they're actually trying to do good though.

This thread might interest you so!

See above, it's fair enough to dislike them if they've done something over the top for minor offences or have wronged you in someway.

The scroll bar on my web browser keeps going white. As in, not the whole scroll bar, just the small bit that you actually drag up and down.

Well annoying as it makes it practically invisible

Like your penis...

Your mom saw it just fine...

1920s-Naval-Binoculars.jpg

*Gets out the popcorn*

This thread might interest you so!

See above, it's fair enough to dislike them if they've done something over the top for minor offences or have wronged you in someway.

Yeah I know, I just thought you'd be interested regardless.

The scroll bar on my web browser keeps going white. As in, not the whole scroll bar, just the small bit that you actually drag up and down.

Well annoying as it makes it practically invisible

Like your penis...

Your mom saw it just fine...

1920s-Naval-Binoculars.jpg

*Gets out the popcorn*

Sorry to disappoint you, but that is actually a picture of the device I use to take a piss, so I have no comeback.

Hope that doesn't annoy you...

with adverts in cinemas you know how long they will be, 20 minutes, so always add 20 minutes on to the "start" time

i do keep catching that bloody kevin bacon EE advert though

Problem with that is if it's a busy showing you end up sat on the front row and separate to whoever you go with.

I always go to the cinema (relatively) early. I like to have my pick of the seats and if it means sitting through adverts then so be it.

cinema near me gives you seat numbers  ... but nobody takes any notice  ... so being British and not wanting to make a fuss when someone is in your allocated seats , you just go in and sit down where you want

then just as the film is about to start there is always a woman (it's always women) who comes in with her mate and says excuse me you are in our seats

you explain that it's a free for all and they go off on one   ... I usually kill the conversation by saying  , get the person to move out of our allocated seat and I'll happily move for you

of course arguably they are right , you wouldn't sit in someone else's seat on a plane for example ... but it just seems to be the cinema code  !!

with adverts in cinemas you know how long they will be, 20 minutes, so always add 20 minutes on to the "start" time

i do keep catching that bloody kevin bacon EE advert though

Problem with that is if it's a busy showing you end up sat on the front row and separate to whoever you go with.

I always go to the cinema (relatively) early. I like to have my pick of the seats and if it means sitting through adverts then so be it.

cinema near me gives you seat numbers  ... but nobody takes any notice  ... so being British and not wanting to make a fuss when someone is in your allocated seats , you just go in and sit down where you want

then just as the film is about to start there is always a woman (it's always women) who comes in with her mate and says excuse me you are in our seats

you explain that it's a free for all and they go off on one   ... I usually kill the conversation by saying  , get the person to move out of our allocated seat and I'll happily move for you

of course arguably they are right , you wouldn't sit in someone else's seat on a plane for example ... but it just seems to be the cinema code  !!

The IMAX (or the "big screen") in birmingham gives numbers. 

But the annoying thing is, if it's a quiet showing, everyone who has ordered online has inevitably used the option where it automatically gives you the best seat. Meaning there's a handful of you all sat next to each other in a nearly empty cinema :)

(that is until you all figure out how stupid it is and some people move)

. Meaning there's a handful of you all sat next to each other in a nearly empty cinema :)

(that is until you all figure out how stupid it is and some people move)

my mate and I went to a show in Bracknell and were the only 2 people in the whole screening  .. we moved and sat miles apart as it looked incredibly Ghey  :)

I think a lot of this stuff is just what you should be posting in the TTPYO thread, but I'll throw in something that truly SHOULD be illegal in my eyes.

Companies harassing you on the phone or via text. I get texts and phone calls at home near every day telling me I might have a PPI claim. **** off, this is harrassment. The selling of customer phone numbers to bullshit companies like this should be illegal. Last week I got 3 phone calls in the space of an hour and a half from the same damn com

I registered with TPS a few weeks ago, such marketing calls have laredy slowed to a trickle and by about a month in it should stop completely. I've been advised that If I still get any I should start to impose a fee schedule, first call, get there details and thenl let them off with a warning but any repeat after the initial call incurs a £50 charge for my time dealing with it.

• Like 1

Â