Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I work only 9-5 in Poland and make more than that and I have many friends in similar positions. Just gotta find the right job. IT (where I am) for example is incredibly lucrative and doesn't take the piss with hours.

Plenty of IT gigs take the piss tbh, I think it's partly down to individual company culture, partly down to role, and partly just how much of a shit you give, (one could also word that as "how willing you are to be exploited"). When I was a sys admin, I felt like I had the world on my shoulders and was regularly doing 16 hour days for a fraction under 22k. Went into software dev and had similar when I became a project lead because I actually really wanted my product to succeed and ran myself into the ground to try and make it happen.

Several burnouts later, I've landed on my feet in a gig where I do 7.5 hours per day, have a cider in the garden with the laptop on a nice day, and have my notifications muted after 17:30, and get paid way more. Going to enjoy it while it lasts!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Plenty of IT gigs take the piss tbh, I think it's partly down to individual company culture, partly down to role, and partly just how much of a shit you give, (one could also word that as "how willing you are to be exploited"). When I was a sys admin, I felt like I had the world on my shoulders and was regularly doing 16 hour days for a fraction under 22k. Went into software dev and had similar when I became a project lead because I actually really wanted my product to succeed and ran myself into the ground to try and make it happen.

Several burnouts later, I've landed on my feet in a gig where I do 7.5 hours per day, have a cider in the garden with the laptop on a nice day, and have my notifications muted after 17:30, and get paid way more. Going to enjoy it while it lasts!

Your path sounds pretty identical to mine.

Started as a service desk guy earning a pittance working crazy hours, extremely busy days; got promoted, became a manager of a Service Desk still working my arse off, then a manager of a development team for a specific system, easing my workload. Got headhunted by a company looking for an owner of this system in their IT environment earning 6x what I started on and now I sign off on IT projects, go to Germany every month to talk strategy and occasionally do some dev work. Aside from that, it's incredibly chilled but I have a tonne more responsibility on my shoulders. 

Previously, if something broke, I'd answer the phone, then raise a ticket to someone who needs to fix it. Now if it breaks, that ticket goes to support teams who report to me and I get to yell at our vendor if it isn't fixed after some time.

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

because they are collared doves (without checking any other replies)

Oh look the picture has been edited!

It was exactly that, at least they edited it, Reach PLC wouldn't even have bothered

I crack my knuckles constantly, but someone in my new office does it as well and I ****' hate them for it.

STOP CRACKIN' YO KNUCKLES OR I'LL THROW YOU OUT OF MY 6TH STOREY WINDOW. 

Annoying word removed. 

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

How else is it done these days? :D

Headhunting in this day in age is when you're so well known for excellence in your industry, that when walking around town, someone across the plaza yells "YOU THERE, COME AND WORK FOR ME!!!". 

And then loads of other rival company bosses start a bidding war for you, right there in the plaza. 

That's what happened to me, anyway. 

Comedy Central Reaction GIF by Lights Out with David Spade

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I work only 9-5 in Poland and make more than that and I have many friends in similar positions. Just gotta find the right job. IT (where I am) for example is incredibly lucrative and doesn't take the piss with hours.

Good for you!  I wonder why there's so many people struggling when all you gotta do is find the right job??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Your path sounds pretty identical to mine.

Started as a service desk guy earning a pittance working crazy hours, extremely busy days; got promoted, became a manager of a Service Desk still working my arse off, then a manager of a development team for a specific system, easing my workload. Got headhunted by a company looking for an owner of this system in their IT environment earning 6x what I started on and now I sign off on IT projects, go to Germany every month to talk strategy and occasionally do some dev work. Aside from that, it's incredibly chilled but I have a tonne more responsibility on my shoulders. 

Previously, if something broke, I'd answer the phone, then raise a ticket to someone who needs to fix it. Now if it breaks, that ticket goes to support teams who report to me and I get to yell at our vendor if it isn't fixed after some time.

How time flies! I remember when you were teaching and becoming disillusioned with it. You definitely made the right decision to move into a new area. Fair play for making that big jump and moving to a new country at the time. 

During all of that, I have been doing exactly the same job! I wish I made a change a while back, but never did as I was paid well for my role and I was comfortable. Too old and tired to move now. Its a young persons game in my industry nowadays. They are far more ruthless and backstabbing than my generation was. I just keep my head down and I've got one eye on the finish line already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

How time flies! I remember when you were teaching and becoming disillusioned with it. You definitely made the right decision to move into a new area. Fair play for making that big jump and moving to a new country at the time. 

During all of that, I have been doing exactly the same job! I wish I made a change a while back, but never did as I was paid well for my role and I was comfortable. Too old and tired to move now. Its a young persons game in my industry nowadays. They are far more ruthless and backstabbing than my generation was. I just keep my head down and I've got one eye on the finish line already. 

Motor trade is the other way around, the older you get, the more respect you get, which is so wrong I know, but makes my job easier. It's still very old skool, like many industries, when your young they think you know ****all.

I left once, for a younger guy to come in and take over. 4 months later they offered me my job back as a kinda consultation role with a package I couldn't refuse. 

19 hours ago, Chindie said:

Barristers have a pretty shitty lot in the law profession, I'm surprised many of them bother. Compared to other legal jobs it's not well paid unless you get to the absolute top of the game, of which there's only so much space to occupy, and as you're essentially self employed you have all the shit that brings with it. And they work on a taxi rank system so whatever comes in is your job iirc.

I remember watching a reality documentary style show a few years ago that followed a big criminal law firm's day to day work. A scene that particularly stuck out was the solicitor on a case stood outside court talking to their barrister, who was smoking a fag and looked like total shit. Like, dragged out of a ditch shit. No amount of wigs and robes were hiding it. And the impression wasn't that the barrister wanted to look like shit, but that he was at wits end with no money and a career that was kicking his arse every day just so he could survive for the next days arse kicking.

Meanwhile a solicitor will get decent money once qualified so long as they avoid criminal law (where again the big money is at the top of the game and there's no way to just get that work without a leg up or years of work), and unless they want to run their own practice or become a partner it's fundamentally still just a job (though a stressful and hard one in a few fields). And if they fancy doing the barrister gig they can train and qualify to become a solicitor advocate, whereby they get the same right of audience barristers do.

With Barristers/Solicitors it really depends on what area you are doing.

If you do corporate/commercial/civil generally a barrister will earn quite a lucrative amount of money for when it gets to that level it becomes exceptionally technical. For civil solicitors it depends what sector they work in. In the commercial sector it is very lucrative but certainly for your formative years you will be expected to work pretty much all hours of the day. If a general high street solicitor the work is there and can make money, your just not earning the high salary figures that the profession allegedly has.

In family, it varies between private paying and legal aid. Private paying will always be more profitable for solicitors and barristers but less work generally. Legal aid there is more work but pays horrific in comparison so you end up having to work twice/three times as hard to get the same fees. You can work it though to make a decent profit but it’s hard work. You generally get paid for certainly your Court work but your office work may not all get covered under the scheme. There are also significant risk of urgent cases coming into Court so you have to drop everything to deal with that. The current system is at breaking point though with the sheer volume (not just lawyers but other practitioners in the field are significantly overworked). Because the fees aren’t great though, firms are reluctant to get enough staff to deal with the work and can cause significant stress and strain on the people working. Barristers do get it to a degree, but also can literally stop working if they want (won’t get paid but can take that break). They also have additional expenses and with that taxi rank system you really are in pot luck as to how good your case is. I would arguably say that barristers probably can work the system better but it definitely could be done better. The legal aid rates haven’t actually changed since 2012 I think and even then they went down for hourly rate of work. 

Criminal though, pay is far worse under their legal aid schemes and is by far the biggest share. When they say a barrister could earn a few hundred quid if a murder case collapses, they aren’t actually wrong. Talk of barristers getting 2nd jobs in Tesco etc. isn’t unheard of, particularly during the pandemic. Unless someone desperately wants to get into criminal law, it is completely unprofitable and so the numbers of people in the sector are dwindling (or at significant risk of it). The legal aid system for crime is broken and needs to be completely overhauled and sorted out. Hence the strikes.

To be honest, the whole legal aid system needs to be revamped and reinvested in. Sadly with the government we have at the moment, that is not going to happen. Crime is striking and already at breaking point as we know but family is under significant strain as well and it will not take much to go either.

• Like 1

Criminal barristers striking and delaying court cases will inconvenience people.

They should only strike when nobody is affected by it. Imagine those people waiting for justice for terrible crimes. The wait for some trials is already years, this will only make it worse.

Anyway, some of them earn more than me.

Oh this is easy once you get in to the swing of it. Who’s next? Local Authority maintenance crews? Bring ‘em on, the bastards.

Johnson promised us a high wage economy. We’ve just got to take him at his word and wait for this blip to blow over. He’s already taking action to lift some people’s money. He’s removing the cap on city bonuses.

• Haha 1

very much one that SHOULD piss you off 

cock wombles that retrieve their luggage from the over head compartment and video themselves evacuating a plane on fire 

should pass some new sort of endangerment law and start prosecuting these people 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

very much one that SHOULD piss you off 

cock wombles that retrieve their luggage from the over head compartment and video themselves evacuating a plane on fire 

should pass some new sort of endangerment law and start prosecuting these people 

Also, (on a plane that hasn’t crashed) people who spend the entire flight retrieving and putting things into their bags in the overhead locker. Drives me mad.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Also, (on a plane that hasn’t crashed) people who spend the entire flight retrieving and putting things into their bags in the overhead locker. Drives me mad.

its my pet hate  , personally I'd make everything go in the hold and all you can take on the flight is a small bag with essential items only and NO a tupperware container full of salad or an apple  is not an essential item 

or at the very least board the plane back rows first so that someone doesn't board in row 10 and then block the aisle for 5 mins whilst they open their bag retrieve their in flight ipad , headphones , wine gums , phone charger , jumper , lip balm , water bottle  , then decide once they have put the suitcase in the overhead that perhaps they wont need their jumper so get it down and put it back in their suitcase 

• Like 3

I'm sat in my training and **** me one of the other guys is the thickest person I've ever come across.  He seemingly can't even find the page of the books we're using even if it's just literally turning over to the next one.  The guy running it has to stop every time and go over and check he's got it.

Â