Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I lost my face mask recently. Searched all over the house for it and checked with the wife to see if she had it. No avail so bought some new ones just before Christmas. Wife's just been rummaging about in her handbag and found my mask in there. Which she insists I must have put in there. 

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Looked at the driving route to the Selfridges multi storey. Been about 3 years or more since I drove there. The route now is completely alien and I am going to have fun today. **** marvellous. 

Driving in Birmingham is a **** nightmare at the moment. So many road closures because of all the work they’re doing. And of course sat navs are slow to catch up. 

I got lost driving to the jewellery quarter a few weeks back (before a villa game in fact). I know exactly where the JQ is. And how to get there. But it was such a maze of closed streets that it took me ages to find out how I could still drive there

• Like 1

Town is a mess. Had to drop the step lad and his mom at the childrens hospital yesterday morning. I was glad to get home. It’s an attack on the senses with an avalanche of signs, barricades, cones and one way streets. How people don’t get lost and end up with tickets all the time for going up/down roads they aren’t supposed to is a miracle. Won’t be going back anytime soon. Stick to the trains.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Town is a mess. Had to drop the step lad and his mom at the childrens hospital yesterday morning. I was glad to get home. It’s an attack on the senses with an avalanche of signs, barricades, cones and one way streets. How people don’t get lost and end up with tickets all the time for going up/down roads they aren’t supposed to is a miracle. Won’t be going back anytime soon. Stick to the trains.

At the end of the day that is what they want you to do.  They're going to permanently close a lot of roads, close and knock down many car parks, they've already put in place and will no doubt tighten up the clean air zone.  Eventually they will close The Queensway to stop cross city traffic. 

They really don't want people driving in at all which would be fine if they actually DID have a proper tram network and the trains weren't being constantly cancelled. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

At the end of the day that is what they want you to do.  They're going to permanently close a lot of roads, close and knock down many car parks, they've already put in place and will no doubt tighten up the clean air zone.  Eventually they will close The Queensway to stop cross city traffic. 

They really don't want people driving in at all which would be fine if they actually DID have a proper tram network and the trains weren't being constantly cancelled. 

Yep. Which is all well and good but then they need to move the childrens hospital and other essential services which are stuck in random parts of a hard to navigate centre to a more accessible part of the city. 

• Like 1

Threads on Twitter.

It's a platform that deliberately and purposefully made a limit of 280 characters, for people to write short thought provoking comments.

But no, I'm a Mr big time journalist and I shall write an 18 page essay split into 32 tweets to get the message across.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Yep. Which is all well and good but then they need to move the childrens hospital and other essential services which are stuck in random parts of a hard to navigate centre to a more accessible part of the city. 

They were going to move the children's to Selly Oak next to Bham Women's. 

I really don't know why they didn't, would make more sense. 

Just now, Mic09 said:

Threads on Twitter.

It's a platform that deliberately and purposefully made a limit of 280 characters, for people to write short thought provoking comments.

But no, I'm a Mr big time journalist and I shall write an 18 page essay split into 32 tweets to get the message across.

Yep, pisses me off. Just post a link to where all the information is in 1 piece. 

Not sure if anyone watches SSN in the day, but they literally must show 20 minutes of the same content over and over and over all day.  There may not be much news, but they need to find other content, rather than the same boring reports. Such a poor channel in the day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

You have the second best public transport system in England. With the exception of the awful London where buses and trains only appear every 3 minutes, Birmingham's network is much better than everywhere else

Come up here and witness buses that go to places no-one wants to go to by routes that snake their way around the city and train services that have been changed from every 15 minutes to every 20 because... new trains, except the new trains aren't ready yet and they don't seem to understand that every 20 minutes is a backward step from every 15 minutes

7 hours ago, mjmooney said:

After nearly 50 years living in Leeds, I thought I was a master of negotiating its city centre and one way system. But in recent years, I've had less need to drive in town, so some of the changes passed me by. Then came a couple of years of pandemic, and a massive programme of roadworks. A couple of weeks ago we had friends come up from London by coach, so I agreed to pick them up at the bus station. Nightmare. Roads which had completely ceased to exist. Labyrinthine diversions. Reversals of one way directions. And cameras everywhere, ready to record any rule infringements. Utter sweat-inducing stress fest. They can get a bus next time. And I'm staying in the 'burbs. 

I'm sure it is a deliberate ploy to stop people driving into the city centre. Birmingham is like the maze at Hampton Court now. The council think that people will bus/train it in instead when the reality is, people just won't go anymore and go to an out of town shopping centre or do it online instead. 

• Like 2

About 100 square metres our back garden is, not sure if I posted on here, but after getting a obscene quote for nearly 5 grand I decided to do the graft myself around October/November, laying sleepers all round the edges, digging the old turf up ready for new turf. Well it was taking longer than I thought, so hired a mini digger and managed to get it all done in a weekend, flatted the soil out like a football pitch all ready. I wanted to put new turf down over winter as we won't use the garden, so the grass would be 100% for spring/summer. Unfortunately I ran out of time to turf it, so thought I will do it in January after the holidays weather permitting. But now I've noticed alot is growing back, I certainly hope I haven't gotta do it all over again by the end of January, it was a bloody nightmare of a job.

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm sure it is a deliberate ploy to stop people driving into the city centre. Birmingham is like the maze at Hampton Court now. The council think that people will bus/train it in instead when the reality is, people just won't go anymore and go to an out of town shopping centre or do it online instead. 

This basically. I just go to Solihull, Shirley, Redditch or Kings Heath or other local towns and if there’s something I can’t get from there then I get it online. It’s a shame as I used to love going to town in the 90’s/early 00’s. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

This basically. I just go to Solihull, Shirley, Redditch or Kings Heath or other local towns and if there’s something I can’t get from there then I get it online. It’s a shame as I used to love going to town in the 90’s/early 00’s. 

Same. Lichfield or Ventura Park in Tamworth for me if I need anything. Maybe the Fort if i'm feeling brave!

I used to go into town every Saturday from the age of about 15 onwards... when I was 18, I got a job working on Colmore Row (would have been late '97) and I loved it. Quite often i'd be back in town on Saturday and Sunday to meet mates for coffee and/or go shopping. It was just easier then... traffic was rare, parking costs were reasonable (no more than a few quid for a number of hours; free parking on Sundays). Now... the shops I like have gone, it feels 'moody' although that may just be an age thing and you need NASA space control to navigate you in and out of the city. Not for me anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Genuinely think today was my quietest work day in about 15 years! 

Dragged like a mofo. I couldn't do this every day. 

I'm keeping an eye on my emails on mybphonebbecause I haven't done an out of office. 

Ignoring internal emails and automated notifications, I had one external email. 

Edited by sidcow

Â