Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 hours ago, Eidolon said:

Can confirm, keeps it nice and crisp comparatively too.

@blandythe answer to your question lies here

The devils alveoli needs to be boiled to within an inch of its life to be edible, otherwise its akin to eating what I imagine the stubborn weeds in my patio would taste like eaten raw

I'm ok with other veg being microwaved, sprouts and peas especially, though root veg I prefer roasted

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I think the only veg I've boiled in years are spuds, and only for mashing. There's nothing more miserable than boiled veg. Blandy's nutrition point is a good one, but secondary to flavour for me.

• Like 2

Cauliflower eaten raw is excellent. In cooking I’m more of a slice it thin and warm it through kinda guy.

Boiling vegetables? I mean, I know from the history books that it used to happen.

Celery is another one where you want to retain the crunch texture. That always gets added in towards the end, stalk and as much leaf as you can get. Lovely stuff.

Had a vegetable chilli last night as it happens. Peppers, cauli, celery, green beans, kidney beans, baby sweet corn, pak choi, very last of the home grown red onions. Just a midweek roundup of everything to hand. Cracking good stuff.

Has anyone tried cauliflower rice and is it as utterly horrendous as I imagine? 

Anyone who actively eats couscous is banned from answering this question as your answer will be irrelevant to me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Has anyone tried cauliflower rice and is it as utterly horrendous as I imagine? 

Anyone who actively eats couscous is banned from answering this question as your answer will be irrelevant to me. 

Its very nice to be fair but so is couscous

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its very nice to be fair but so is couscous

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Couscous? 

tenor.gif

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Cauliflower eaten raw is excellent

probably mentioned it at the time , but  a few years ago , but in attempt to be healthier and to move on from eating nothing but meat and sugar I started taking a box of raw cauliflower to work , to nibble on during the day 

think it was after around 3 days of doing this  that I found myself feeling like John Hurt in Alien  , my stomach was solid  i couldn't move and i was in a lot of pain like I was about to explode   ... 5 hours of non stop vomiting later and I still wasn't faring much better so Mrs h made me go to the local hospital ... After much merriment that a cauliflower was trying to kill me  ,they  gave me something to deflate the stomach and about 6 bags of saline to give me some fluids back  .

needless to say I don't eat raw  cauliflower anymore  , 

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think the only veg I've boiled in years are spuds, and only for mashing. There's nothing more miserable than boiled veg. Blandy's nutrition point is a good one, but secondary to flavour for me.

my mate boils his sausages with his potatoes and veg in one big pot the heathen 

• Confused 1

Couscous is ace.  Cauliflower rice is not.

When my wife over-steams the broccoli I accuse her of being secretly British.

The best way to cook cauliflower is to roast it.  Break/cut it up and toss with a little olive oil in a bag .  Season and toss again and stick it in the oven 20-30 minutes.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Where is @bickster, and why have you hijacked his account? 

He likes couscous and Adam Sandler. 

I will admit, I'm rocked to the core. My whole world is caving in around me, like Neo in the Matrix. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

probably mentioned it at the time , but  a few years ago , but in attempt to be healthier and to move on from eating nothing but meat and sugar I started taking a box of raw cauliflower to work , to nibble on during the day 

think it was after around 3 days of doing this  that I found myself feeling like John Hurt in Alien  , my stomach was solid  i couldn't move and i was in a lot of pain like I was about to explode   ... 5 hours of non stop vomiting later and I still wasn't faring much better so Mrs h made me go to the local hospital ... After much merriment that a cauliflower was trying to kill me  ,they  gave me something to deflate the stomach and about 6 bags of saline to give me some fluids back  .

needless to say I don't eat raw  cauliflower anymore  , 

I have a mate who currently heads up an architectural practise. A proper stand up good pillar of society.

We had to take him to hospital after he re enacted the boiled egg eating from Cool Hand Luke.

Except he did it with Cadbury Creme Eggs.

Taking a grown up to A&E because of the number of creme eggs in him, and he hadn’t stuck a single one up his bum. Amateur.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I have a mate who currently heads up an architectural practise. A proper stand up good pillar of society.

We had to take him to hospital after he re enacted the boiled egg eating from Cool Hand Luke.

Except he did it with Cadbury Creme Eggs.

Taking a grown up to A&E because of the number of creme eggs in him, and he hadn’t stuck a single one up his bum. Amateur.

that's a challenge i could go for  .. the eating one , not stuffing them up my bum one  

what made him end up in A&E though ,  cant be the sugar surely ? 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

that's a challenge i could go for  .. the eating one , not stuffing them up my bum one  

what made him end up in A&E though ,  cant be the sugar surely ? 

Well, he just basically had the rampant painful gut rot, rock hard stomach. Couldn’t shit, couldn’t puke, getting worse and worse.

I've got that annoying cough thing, which sounds WAY worse than it actually feels.. 

But when I got to open ANY packet of tablets, you can guaran-damn-tee it'll be the end with the instructions on how to take the bastard things is, so I have to go to the other end of the box with my fat fingers to open. 

That's it really. 

• Like 4

Â