Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Sooooo.. Did I win an internet? :D

Unfortunately not.

What the Beatles had was early access to tech and a wide open vista of possibilities. Which, all credit to them they picked up and ran with.

From memory, I haven't checked this. But from memory, I think the Beatles did their thing with the Sgt Pepper album, it was still top secret, they finished and left the studio. The Small Faces were next in, lots of the new tech was still in the studio as it was too big, heavy and precious to move. The Small Faces worked out how it worked and without knowing what Sgt Pepper would sound like, came up with Ogden's Nut Gone Flake. This might be wrong, haven't checked back.

But regardless, released about 9 / 10 months after Pepper, ONGF is for my money, massively superior.

• Like 1

Yes, a real soft spot for Buddy Holly, not least because his was one of the first two records I had.

The first hand me down record player I had came with two records so that I had something I could play on it.

The two records were Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly and Somethin' Else by Eddie Cochran. Those two records got played to death.

I mention these as they are ever so slightly cooler than the first record I bought with my own money. Billy Howard, King of the Cops. Pisses me off no end that, but it is what it is.

That he was only 22 just blows the mind really.  The music that we lost that day ...  It just doesn't bear thinking about.  Cue inevitable 'the day the music died' American Pie link :)  Not to mention the 17 year old Ritchie Valens who still managed to write one of the most iconic pop songs ever in his embryonic career.  That plane crash.  Damn it to hell.

• Like 3

There was a lot of Buddy Holly being played in my house when I was growing up. The old fella is a huge fan of 50's era Rock and Roll (although like me, he's not a fan of Elvis) and I always had a soft spot for his music.

As the years went by and I developed more of an ear for musicianship / arrangements etc I really began to appreciate just how good he was.

What a bloody waste :(

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Jeez, that'd take some thinking about... Best just to bang off 20 off the top of my head. In no particular order: 

Strawberry Fields Forever
Mother Nature's Son
Something
Tomorrow Never Knows
Drive My Car
You've Go To Hide Your Love Away
A Day In The Life
All You Need Is Love
In My Life
Revolution
Here Comes The Sun
Ticket To Ride
The Ballad of John & Yoko
We Can Work It Out
Taxman
Golden Slumbers
Doctor Robert
I Am The Walrus
Baby It's You
Eight Days A Week

No Yesterday, Let it Be, Long and Winding Road or Elenor Rigby

2/10

WNB

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

All McCartney tunes. A coincidence? 

Not a conscious coincidence! They're just the ones of the top of my head I like the best. Also add Hey Jude to that list :)

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Not a conscious coincidence! They're just the ones of the top of my head I like the best. Also add Hey Jude to that list :)

For my own part, I tend to much prefer Lennon, and Harrison, to McCartney. There's no coincidence that my list is very light of Paul's work. 

Edited by dAVe80

Cars - mine cost me £502 yesterday. Least its not overheating now and the wheel shudder has been rectified with a new ball joint. Drives like stink now! 

People attending black friday sales at shops - I hope you get trampled on

56 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

For my own part, I tend to much prefer Lennon, and Harrison, to McCartney. There's no coincidence that my list is very light of Paul's work. 

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but did Lennon sing songs he wrote and McCartney sing songs he wrote?  I've never really known who wrote what, is it that simple?

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but did Lennon sing songs he wrote and McCartney sing songs he wrote?  I've never really known who wrote what, is it that simple?

Pretty much, with a few exceptions. They tended to write the songs independently, then the other would offer their input. I think they agreed that they would just credit everything as Lennon & McCartney, and then obviously years later, Paul decided he wanted his songs credited as McCartney & Lennon.  

• Like 1

Having "bongo, bongo, bongo I don't want to leave the congo Oh no no no no no"  stuck in my head since Tuesday, also that Big Iron doesn't appear to be in the game.

Having "bongo, bongo, bongo I don't want to leave the congo Oh no no no no no"  stuck in my head since Tuesday, also that Big Iron doesn't appear to be in the game.

I see they've brought that back so :) Looking forward to my new Galaxy News Radio soundtrack.

Â