Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I do

What is the reasoning for women getting pension earlier despite having a longer life expectancy? This can of worms is already open now...

Okay, if you insist but if I get jeered at and slagged off like I usually do, I'll blame you.  :)

It is a quirk of history, that when pensions were introduced women didn't get pensions and tended to be married to older men.

So to enable a couple to retire roughly at the same time a married man of 65 would be given extra pension for his dependent wife, which he got when she reached the age of 60.

When women were given pensions in their own right, they kept 60 as the retirement age.

It was through anti-discrimination law that Europe ruled that the ages should be equalised and naturally the British government decided to raise it to 65 (now 68), rather than allowing men to retire at 60. 

• Like 2

The retirement age is likely to keep increasing as life expectancy increases. I don't fancy working until I'm 75! 50 is a push! 

I don't swallow the guff about increasing life-expectancy, not since I read J G Ballard's story, The Subliminal Man.

The story is set in a typical Ballard dystopia where the need for constant growth of the capitalist system results in ever-increasing demands for consumption and ever-increasing working hours.

This seemed exactly like what we are seeing now, where in an attempt to increase growth the government is increasing the population and has doubled the size of the working population by creating the circumstances where women have been pressured into the workforce.

The government are trying to persuade people to defer their pension, with the promise of more in the future.

Where a single wage could support a middle-class life-style back in the Seventies, it now takes two wages.

Increasing the working life of every employee so as to produce and consume more seems exactly in line with Ballard's dystopia.

So I think there is every reason to doubt this particular piece of propaganda.

The whole system is geared to convincing everyone that consuming less is shameful, which traps people in work as they endlessly chase what we are told is the minimum respectable level.

When Apple can enjoy a 40% mark-up on every phone, there is obviously something wrong.

Right now Ballard's story seems very prescient.

• Like 1

had a metric **** ton of wine from my parents who live in France, this was before christmas and we are down to the last box, I asked for as cheap as possible and that is what they got but its been the most flavourless shit wine I have ever had. I will be glad when its gone so I can finally get a bottle of something with actual taste.

Ordered something off net, to be delivered by Yodel. Its been in Leeds since Wednesday, not even made it to their sorting centre. I think the guy that collected it has nicked it.

"There is a problem with your shipment, please contact the shipping company"

Useless ****

Â