AVTV: General chat

ciggiesnbeer

After much deliberation I have decided that I like Jack Woodward. He is like our own little Alan Partridge. I enjoy (actually enjoy, not in a hipster "ironic" way) listening to him meander off on some tangent about golf, or the yellow of Guzan's goalkeeper kit, in the middle of a match commentary. I like the chummy nicknames he's given some of the players, as if he hangs out with them on evenings and weekends -- Burkey, Herdy, Lowts. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something charming about him for some reason.

• Like 1

Goals up quikly today, post match interview up quickly and a better interview.

A good interview with Fabian Delph earlier this week. Two faultless streams. AVTV :thumb:

But they should really invest in a tripod.

Rob: as far as I know; manu, city, tottenham, chelsea, arsenal, new castle, liverpool got a better tv service then Aston Villa. I haven't subscribed to any of them but just gathered from what I've been told from mates who supports either of em. As for the others clubs I have no idea.

So we don't know for certain that they all have better TV services than us, and you've mentioned the 6 biggest clubs in the country. Also, even if I wasn't overly happy with AVTV, I'd still big it up to other teams' fans :D

Man City and Man Utd have better services, I know that for a fact because I've seen their footage. I imagine Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool have similar services, but we can't really be blamed, or called a disgrace, for not competing with the biggest and richest clubs in the league.

AVTV isn't fantastic, but I think it's good, for what we pay.

The highlights of league games are usually uploaded the Tuesday after the game, so the fact that AVTV are managing to get the 'goals only' highlights on the same night as the game, and then the extended highlights a day later (usually) is pretty efficient imo.

Anyway, I'll be watching the Shamrock game on Sunday, so hopefully another flawless stream!

As I've said before, as a media product in itself it's rather poor (ie: editing, audio, and video quality, filming/camera-work, coverage to some extent). disregarding the club, how rich it is or other clubs are. Changes can be made making the product better without costing a whole lot. Some adjustments can be made without costing anything at all. Just read some of the mentions made in this thread. And AVTV is all ready starting to improve, hence my post. They're a much bigger and richer club is to me a rather poor excuse, or actually it's not even relevant. I'm not saying that AVTV should be as good as say manutv(I'm pretty sure they're being run on a far bigger budget), but they could be a lot better then what they actually are. It seems to me that somewhere along they way they settled for mediocrity and got stuck there without looking for to improve. Look at VillaTalk.com for example, and how it's evolved over the past few years and it's being run by volunteers not by people who's raising their paycheck from it .

It's not a fact that they get the goals only up at the same night even, they did the other night hence my thumbs up and positive post. A few times it's been the morning after. The crewe extended highlights took what 3 days or more to get up? 

It's understandable that extended highlights takes a day because it's much more editing to do. I would assume that making a clip off the goals is pretty much a wam bam thank you mam if you're somewhat decent at editing, write down the time of the goals, got a USB 3/3.1, a respectable Internet connection and a computer that doesn't take half a day the render something. But I might be wrong.

I guess we just have different expectations :D . As for the disgrace part, I've stated earlier that that was uncalled for as your post made me realize that, but I'm not sure why you're bringing that up again?

I'm also looking forward to watching our new players on a flawless stream from AVTV while enjoying a beer on Sunday. :cheers:

I only mentioned the other clubs because someone said that AVTV is (probably) not as a good as what other clubs offer.

I suppose it's all down to opinions.

I personally don't think the sound is bad, and I don't know how you would improve it greatly. Can you see AVTV setting up a mic on each side of the pitch, so that we can get the atmospheric-sound that some people crave?

Some people have moaned about Woodward's interviews, and would prefer more in depth questions. One person said an example "In that game Westwood was playing deeper, is that something that you will use to .... blah blah blah"...

Personally, I don't want Lambert going in depth about his tactical reasons. I'd rather just hear a bit of what Lambert wants to say.

That lady that interviewed Delph started to annoy me. Making random jokes and sounding pretty cringeworthy. Yet, other people loved her interview.

Regarding the camera work, I think a lot of this is down to where the AVTV-crew are placed in these tiny stadiums. They need to be at the highest point possible, to get the best view, but in many small stadiums, they're also close to the side of the pitch. This means that whenever they film the side of the pitch that is underneath them, the camera angle looks dreadful.

I'm pretty sure I saw a similar angle at White Hart Lane when watching Sky Sports the once.

You mention how VillaTalk has evolved. I personally prefer the old site. I think this site is rubbish in the way tha 2 posts can take up the whole of the page. On the old site, you could read 5 or 6 posts on one page. I only use the mobile version of the site now, even when I'm on my laptop, because I don't like how the new VT looks.

You can't please everyone. So there will always be some people who don't like the service.

Like I say, it's all about opinions.

To me, it all comes down to what it costs.

£4.99 for all the pre-season games, with 2 minutes of 'goals only' uploaded as late as a week later, is still worth £4.99, imo.

I don't really understand the argument that AVTV isn't "worth" five pounds a month.

Yeah, it could be a lot better, but for me the main thing is that it's a way to give money to the club that they wouldn't get otherwise. Aston Villa loses money, so it seems only fair for those of us who can afford a fiver a month to pay up a little bit, considering how much time we spend watching games on tele and following the news.

been trying to watch the goals on avtv, takes like 10 minutes before the clip starts playing, they hosting the video files on a 56.k modem or something ? when it starts playing its all good though :)

cant really compain though to be honest, fiver is nothing.

been trying to watch the goals on avtv, takes like 10 minutes before the clip starts playing, they hosting the video files on a 56.k modem or something ? when it starts playing its all good though :)

cant really compain though to be honest, fiver is nothing.

Got the same problem.

Rob: Just try to notice the camera.work in some of the interviews or scenes and you might actually understand what I'm talking about. The camera work during matches are fine. As for the audio I'm not talking about "catching the atmosphere" of the game so again I don't see what point you're trying to make. It's simple things such as using a windbreaker(on the microphone) when you're making the introductions, avoid white noice and feedback, not have the audio cut out during live audio matches, a higher bitrate. etc.

Jeez, if you read my posts, maybe you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Regarding the atmospheric sound, I said "that some people crave", because OTHERS have mentioned that previously in the thread.

You didn't specify when the camera-work was bad, so I guessed it would be the 90 minutes match and not the 3 minute interview afterwards. I can honestly say I've never noticed bad camera-work in an interview, so maybe I'm easy pleased. Or maybe you're difficult to please.

Like I said. Everyone has different opinions. Some people, like me, probably don't think AVTV is that bad. Others probably raise even more concerns than you have. They will never be able to please everyone. If they do invest in a lot of extra equipment and staff to make AVTV better, will the price go up? Will a whole new bunch of people then log on and complain about that? Probably.

I did read your post, I just don't think you liked my response :D

Like I said. Everyone has different opinions. Some people, like me, probably don't think AVTV is that bad. Others probably raise even more concerns than you have. They will never be able to please everyone. If they do invest in a lot of extra equipment and staff to make AVTV better, will the price go up? Will a whole new bunch of people then log on and complain about that? Probably.

I think you're right :)

Either way, we'll all be looking forward to us smashing Shamrock Rovers on Sunday at 2pm!... hopefully with a decent stream, footage and commentary! :D

• Like 1

If the streams are working as good as the last 2 games then i would say its value for money , I'm not sure i will pay once the friendlies have finished though.

The clubs with tv channels on sky charge about £6 a month and have day long repeats of games, interviews , documentaries etc but of course they also have far more revenue than us .

I'd be interested to find out how many customers AVTV have that pay for the whole season. I would imagine it's less than 500. Maybe even less than 300?!

I'm a ST holder, but I would only sign up for the pre-season offer if I wasn't.

The "other clubs are much bigger and so can have better service" argument doesnt make sense to me. Unless you want us to go and gouge some holes in Villa park and tear down Bodymoor heath because those facilities are too good for the likes of us.

AVTV could simply be much better with little effort. Show full games not highlights, use a better media partner/player, tighten up the spotty interviewing and we are good to go.

I dont see why it would cost a penny more to make the service as good as other clubs but if it did, so what? Charge more or take a week of Darren Bents wages and use it to fund all the improvments,

• Like 1

After much deliberation I have decided that I like Jack Woodward. He is like our own little Alan Partridge. I enjoy (actually enjoy, not in a hipster "ironic" way) listening to him meander off on some tangent about golf, or the yellow of Guzan's goalkeeper kit, in the middle of a match commentary. I like the chummy nicknames he's given some of the players, as if he hangs out with them on evenings and weekends -- Burkey, Herdy, Lowts. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something charming about him for some reason.

please seek immediate medical assistance

Its amazing how good the Man City youtube page is and that is free. I always have had problems with AVTV, I could watch the Walsall game the other day then when I log on to watch the highlights because I missed the first half it says I have no subscription and my ST package hasn't arrived yet to fix the problem.

Â