The Universe

dont_do_it_doug.

But how will advanced alien civilisations ever take us seriously if we can't even handle abbreviations?

I think they'd be quite short with us.

I expect so. They're just farming us for our flesh anyway. As soon as the population reaches an unsustainable maximum they'll show up for the slaughter. Mark my words.

Quite big? You struggle with the idea of enormity? ;)

You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Read this:

41RMD1UgUvL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

You bastard. You took the words from my very mouth!!!!

• Like 1

NASA's NEXT ion thruster runs five and a half years nonstop to set new record

By David Szondy

June 26, 2013

The NEXT ion thruster has run for 48,000 hours (Image: NASA Christopher J. Lynch (Photo: Wyle Information Systems, LLC))

Image Gallery (2 images)

On Monday, NASA announced that its advanced ion propulsion engine operated for 48,000 hours, or five and a half years – and that’s without stops for fuel or coffee. Developed under NASA's Evolutionary Xenon Thruster (NEXT) project, the engine now holds the record for the longest test duration of any type of space propulsion system.

NEXT is a solar electric propulsion system where electricity from the spacecraft’s solar panels is used to power a a 7-kW class ion thruster. In this, particles of xenon gas are electrically charged and then accelerated to speeds up to 90,000 mph (145,000 km/h). Such thrusters have already been used on spacecraft, such as NASA’s Dawn probe, and engineers are very interested in them because of their much higher performance compared to conventional chemical rocket engines.

NASA Glenn engineer performs verification tests of the imaging diagnostic suite for assess...

The test was carried out in a vacuum chamber at NASA’s Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio, where the NEXT thruster continually fired day and night. In December, it had already passed 43,000 hours of operation and when it passed 48,00 hours it had consumed 1,918 lb (870 kg) of xenon propellant and generated a total impulse that would take over 22,000 lb (10,000 kg) of conventional rocket propellant for comparable applications.

NASA hopes to use NEXT or some version of it in a wide range of deep space missions. The thrust made by an ion engine is tiny compared to a chemical rocket, but its very high efficiency combined with its ability to fire for years on end means that it can build up astonishing speeds over time. As for the test model, it is on its way to a well-deserved retirement as it is switched off.

"The NEXT thruster operated for more than 48,000 hours," says Michael J. Patterson, principal investigator for NEXT at Glenn. "We will voluntarily terminate this test at the end of this month, with the thruster fully operational. Life and performance have exceeded the requirements for any anticipated science mission."

article

Edited by tarjei
  • Like 1

I was thinking. These habitable planets. On the off chance there is some beasties, what could we do to say hello?

I thought about some morse code style beams of light aimed in their direction. It will take 22 years, but still, that's faster than we can go!

Only problem is, what we send could end up being  'douchebags' in their language...

The universe is quite a cool place.

It's staggeringly hot. To create a residual temperature of nearly 4 Kelvin across the entire volume of the universe is a mind boggling amount of heat.

• Like 1

I was thinking. These habitable planets. On the off chance there is some beasties, what could we do to say hello?

I thought about some morse code style beams of light aimed in their direction. It will take 22 years, but still, that's faster than we can go!

Only problem is, what we send could end up being 'douchebags' in their language...

Isn't mathematics the universal language or something ?

I thought about some morse code style beams of light aimed in their direction. It will take 22 years, but still, that's faster than we can go!

Only problem is, what we send could end up being 'douchebags' in their language...

Isn't mathematics the universal language or something ?

Was about to say that. At least it's what I've read or heard. From more than one source. Could still be wrong, though.

I think its a miracle how the Earth has managed to remain practically untouched in such a volatile environment. There are things out there that could destroy this planet in a millisecond. Most people consider a black hole to be the most destructive force in the Universe but apparently its not. A Quasar has the gravitational pull of one billion black holes and when it destroys something it steals its energy and adds its gravitational pull to its own. Does that mean it has unlimited power and could destroy the universe eventually?

Bruce WIllis would not be able to save us from one thats for sure 

IMO it's not really a miracle because, firstly it hasn't remained practically untouched. General thinking is cosmic activity has on a few occasions wiped out the vast majority of life here. Plus given the size of the universe, you'd be incredibly unlucky for something to manage to avoid everything else out there and happen to hit us (of all planets) first. I'd say we've gotten our fair share and only our fair share.

It has certainly not remained practically untouched. It's also not very old in the cosmic sense, and people have only been on it for a extremely short time in relation to that. We know that a few catastrophic events have occurred, but possibly many more. 

Most things destructive in this sense is also constructive. If not for meteors, volcanoes, lightning, winds etc, life might not have gotten started at all, or ended up evolving a particular way.

Yeah it's easy to for get that in the, like, cosmic sense, life on earth "as we know it" is just a brief flourish inbetween catastrophic events.

We're like bacteria living in a splash of water on the toilet floor before the cleaner comes in with the Dettol mop.

• Like 1

Â