The Universe

dont_do_it_doug.

22 light years away, huh. So, if the speed of light is 670,616,629 (apparently) miles per hour and the fastest Voyager managed was 38,600 miles per hour it would take ... a while.

I couldn't resist doing the math.

It would take, on Voyager, about 382,217 years.

We'd better get going.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

22 light years away, huh. So, if the speed of light is 670,616,629 (apparently) miles per hour and the fastest Voyager managed was 38,600 miles per hour it would take ... a while.

We'd better get going.

Reckon Liverpool will still be claiming next year is their year by then.

We'd better get going.

MATHS! ARGH!

We'd better get going.

MATHS! ARGH!

No seriously, it is Math. Already had this debate this morning on the main forum!!!

It's either Math or Mathematics

You seem very set on the idea that the truncated version of an ostensibly plural word is a singular one. Why drop the 's'? FWIW over here it is never math.

• Like 1

You seem very set on the idea that the truncated version of an ostensibly plural word is a singular one. Why drop the 's'? FWIW over here it is never math.

The original comment yesterday was tongue in cheek but since then people have been trying to correct myself and now others on the use of Math when that is technically the correct term, I don't mind being corrected when valid and/or seeing others corrected when valid but it's bloody infuriating when you're corrected incorrectly, just shows a severe level of blatant ignorance ;)

But seriously, it doesn't bother me that much..........which may seem rich given the last 24 hours.

I'll steer clear of this for at least the next week..........

from the tomato debate I'm surprised it isn't Mathes  :)

But how will advanced alien civilisations ever take us seriously if we can't even handle abbreviations?

if they can't handle it they can post their annoyance in the "things that piss you off thread"

• Like 1

Programme on BBC2 tonight:

This summer, the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way is getting ready to feast.
A gas cloud three times the size of our planet has strayed within the gravitational reach of our nearest supermassive black hole. And across the globe, telescopes are being trained on the heart of our Milky Way galaxy, some 27,000 light years from Earth, in the expectation of observing this unique cosmic spectacle.
For cosmic detectives across the Earth, it is a unique opportunity. For the first time in the history of science, they hope to observe in action the awesome spectacle of a feeding supermassive black hole.

I might have read (or imagined) that each black hole started a big bang for another universe, possibly.

Moving-animated-picture-of-spaced-out-gu

Programme on BBC2 tonight:

This summer, the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way is getting ready to feast.

A gas cloud three times the size of our planet has strayed within the gravitational reach of our nearest supermassive black hole. And across the globe, telescopes are being trained on the heart of our Milky Way galaxy, some 27,000 light years from Earth, in the expectation of observing this unique cosmic spectacle.

For cosmic detectives across the Earth, it is a unique opportunity. For the first time in the history of science, they hope to observe in action the awesome spectacle of a feeding supermassive black hole.

I might have read (or imagined) that each black hole started a big bang for another universe, possibly.

Moving-animated-picture-of-spaced-out-gu

Ooh goody, I'll watch that, even though it has already happened and we're watching it on Universe-OD.
  • Like 1

Â