The Universe

dont_do_it_doug.

I caught part of a docu the other day, where they sent out this probe thing, to intercept a comet. It got there, and collected some material from the tail of it, and came back. Scientists analysed it, and they found a really important amino acid in there that was key for life to begin.

So it's like, we all came from comets! Maybe. But how did it get on the comets. Aliens.

I-want-to-believe-poster.jpg

It's very possible that we arrived here on comets.  I appreciate that conjurs up an amusing image of everyone getting off an interstellar De Havilland (well maybe just in my head).

Amazing to think how insignificant we really are...

Au contraire, the complete opposite is true. NOTHING is insignificant. In fact, as the only known intelligent life in the universe is say we're pretty **** significant.

do you mean humans ..or planet earth in general ?

I mean the only species of any kind capable of contemplating the universe. That we currently know of.

I'd be surprised if your average dolphin looks up at the sky and ponders where those pretty lights are.

if plants can perform complex mathematics , whose to say what flipper thinks ?

It's very possible that we arrived here on comets.  I appreciate that conjurs up an amusing image of everyone getting off an interstellar De Havilland (well maybe just in my head).

with their flight safety record we'd have never have made it

Within the decade I expect we'll find hundreds if not thousands of habitable planets. I can then see hundreds of years of wondering how to check them out.

It is very much a case of the initial steps are the easiest to make. Getting to the moon from our starting point was a walk in the park compared to getting to a planet in a distant galaxy.

Within the decade I expect we'll find hundreds if not thousands of habitable planets. I can then see hundreds of years of wondering how to check them out.

It is very much a case of the initial steps are the easiest to make. Getting to the moon from our starting point was a walk in the park compared to getting to a planet in a distant galaxy.

if only we'd actually been ;)

Is the universe infinite and also within this universe does a multiverse exist & are they infinite

If the universe is infinite then it stands to reason that within this universe are an infinite number of other universes, with an infinite number more being created every moment. The great thing about infinity is that literally anything and everything can, has, and will happen. There is another universe where Paul Lambert sells all of his squad, signs a number of people from VillaTalk and goes on to win the Champions League with them.

Indeed and there is, in another universe, your post written but the T in Lambert is missing.

Incorrect. That's not how it works. There could be an infinite amount of universes where everything is exactly the same.

That monkey/typewriter/Shakespeare thing, basically it's bollocks.

TBH I wasn't exactly serious but to say its incorrect is also incorrect, whilst it seems highly unlikely no one really knows.

I caught part of a docu the other day, where they sent out this probe thing, to intercept a comet. It got there, and collected some material from the tail of it, and came back. Scientists analysed it, and they found a really important amino acid in there that was key for life to begin.

So it's like, we all came from comets! Maybe. But how did it get on the comets. Aliens.

tumblr_m9qhtgr9cj1qbilvco1_400.jpg

Is the universe infinite and also within this universe does a multiverse exist & are they infinite

If the universe is infinite then it stands to reason that within this universe are an infinite number of other universes, with an infinite number more being created every moment. The great thing about infinity is that literally anything and everything can, has, and will happen. There is another universe where Paul Lambert sells all of his squad, signs a number of people from VillaTalk and goes on to win the Champions League with them.
Indeed and there is, in another universe, your post written but the T in Lambert is missing.
Incorrect. That's not how it works. There could be an infinite amount of universes where everything is exactly the same.

That monkey/typewriter/Shakespeare thing, basically it's bollocks.

TBH I wasn't exactly serious but to say its incorrect is also incorrect, whilst it seems highly unlikely no one really knows.

Except thanks to mathematics and philosophy we do know. I'm not saying there isn't an alternative universe where his post is the same except missing the T from Lambert, just that it's not a given.

Anyway, sod all to do with the universe really. Just agree I'm right and we can all move on ;)

This guy!  Who the **** is he?  He popped up on History on my TV the other day, he's a **** moron!  I thought the history was meant to be a factual history channel not channelling the message that aliens built the pyramids and bummed the dinosaurs and co wrote the screen play for Pulp Fiction.

Edited by Wainy316

This guy!  Who the **** is he? I thought the history was meant to be a factual history channel not channelling the message that aliens built the pyramids

Daniel Jackson.

links1.gif

• Like 1

Within the decade I expect we'll find hundreds if not thousands of habitable planets.

You were saying? Today an article where astronomers discover new planets, 3 are habitable. Within the week is fairly impressive :)

Astronomers discovered a solar system packed of planets, three of which are habitable, using new observations and existing data of the Gliese 667C star. The star is orbited between five and seven planets and is part of a triple star system known as Gliese 667.

"We identified three strong signals in the star before, but it was possible that smaller planets were hidden in the data" said Guillem Anglada-Escudé of the University of Göttingen who led the study. "We reexamined the existing data, added some new observations, and applied two different data analysis methods especially designed to deal with multi-planet signal detection. Both methods yielded the same answer: there are five very secure signals and up to seven low-mass planets in short-period orbits around the star."

The Gliese 667 solar system is strikingly similar to ours and the three planets identified as habitable are confirmed to be super-Earths: planets that have more mass than Earth but less mass than larger planets like Uranus and Neptune.

"This is the first time that three such planets have been spotted orbiting in this zone in the same system," astronomer Paul Butler of the Carnegie Institute for Science who participated in the study said.

Similar systems have been found before and are very common in the Milky Way, however, most of these systems are built around Sun-like stars and are too hot to be habitable.

The Gliese 667C system is the first example of a system that contains multiple habitable planets surrounding a low-mass star.

The discovery of more systems like Gliese 667C could mean that the amount of potentially habitable planets in our galaxy are more numerous than believed.

This guy!  Who the **** is he?  He popped up on History on my TV the other day, he's a **** moron!  I thought the history was meant to be a factual history channel not channelling the message that aliens built the pyramids and bummed the dinosaurs and co wrote the screen play for Pulp Fiction.

History Channel :lol:

It sickens me, and for some reason if I want access to more trustworthy channels like National Geographic and BBC Knowledge I have to subscribe to the History Channel as well, as they're all part of the same "documentary pack." And now my dear father watches it all the time and gobbles up every bit of twisted garbage the History Channel charlatans spew. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by legov

Within the decade I expect we'll find hundreds if not thousands of habitable planets.

You were saying? Today an article where astronomers discover new planets, 3 are habitable. Within the week is fairly impressive :)

Astronomers discovered a solar system packed of planets, three of which are habitable, using new observations and existing data of the Gliese 667C star. The star is orbited between five and seven planets and is part of a triple star system known as Gliese 667.

"We identified three strong signals in the star before, but it was possible that smaller planets were hidden in the data" said Guillem Anglada-Escudé of the University of Göttingen who led the study. "We reexamined the existing data, added some new observations, and applied two different data analysis methods especially designed to deal with multi-planet signal detection. Both methods yielded the same answer: there are five very secure signals and up to seven low-mass planets in short-period orbits around the star."

The Gliese 667 solar system is strikingly similar to ours and the three planets identified as habitable are confirmed to be super-Earths: planets that have more mass than Earth but less mass than larger planets like Uranus and Neptune.

"This is the first time that three such planets have been spotted orbiting in this zone in the same system," astronomer Paul Butler of the Carnegie Institute for Science who participated in the study said.

Similar systems have been found before and are very common in the Milky Way, however, most of these systems are built around Sun-like stars and are too hot to be habitable.

The Gliese 667C system is the first example of a system that contains multiple habitable planets surrounding a low-mass star.

The discovery of more systems like Gliese 667C could mean that the amount of potentially habitable planets in our galaxy are more numerous than believed.

Right. Let's go there and make a horrible mess of them.

Â