The Universe

dont_do_it_doug.

Well Id have to share it with the people who came up with the theory, its only fair!

Its a brave attempt to contradict Einstein and most of the work since but Kudos for them trying.

Amrit Sorli and Davide Fiscaletti.

I know that the article is written by someone else, but if it is accurately representing what the mathmaticians are claiming then they are quite wrong. They dismiss the time dilation demonstrated by clocks in differing reference frames by claiming it's an effect of relative velocities. I'm pretty sure that sentence is meaningless.

Imagining ten dimensions.

I've not got time to look now, but last time I saw a video of that title, it was nothing to do with any definition of "dimension" known to a mathematician or physicist. :)

The expansion of the universe boggles me.

To think that it is expanding, but theoretically is unable to Expand INTO a space is just... It just bakes my noodle.

It's not expanding, it's inflating. :)

Think of points on the surface of a balloon. Now inflate the balloon. The points haven't moved relative to each other, but are now further apart. Inflation is like that, but all of the space-like dimensions are inflating, not just an arbitrary boundary. It's not the outside edge getting bigger, it's everything

When our brains evolved to help us become better apes it didn't equip us for modelling things so far outside of our experience. This is why it's hard to get your head around it. You have to stop trying to put it in the context of other things that you know.

Here is Feynman getting a bit impatient with someone asking for an analogy about magnets.

Just read that the most distant galaxy yet discovered has been photographed from the Hawaaian Keck observatory. The image is as the galaxy appeared 13.1 billion years ago as that is how long the light has taken to reach us, however it is now 30 billion light years away. This must mean that the the expansion is faster than the speed of light, pretty mind blowing!

I wonder what the figure would be for the number of atoms in the known Universe, I know there's more stars in it than there are grains of sand on Earth, so there'd be a lot of zeros on the end of that figure

The number of atoms in the entire observable universe is estimated to be within the range of 1078 to 1082. We’ve added the word ‘observable’ because we realize that there are really many things to discover about the entire universe so, basically, that range back there is only an estimate based upon what we currently know.

Now, before you go on wondering as to whether, because of the Universe’s expansion and all, this number can be growing, note that what’s taking place is simply a mere expansion or dispersion of the masses that make up the Universe. That is, no amount of matter that wasn’t there in the beginning is ever added during this expansion.

Another slight complication that you might want to take into consideration is Einstein’s equivalence of mass and energy. Hence, between all the fusions and fissions, you’ll have chunks of atoms converted from particles to energies and back. Still, you might want to know how in the world (or universe) were scientists able to get even just a rough estimate, so sit back and enjoy a few seconds of some simple math and a lot of guesswork.

Let’s start with the biggest lump of matter or atoms in the Universe – the galaxies. While a German supercomputer recently ran a simulation and obtained around 500 billion as its estimate, lets try to be a little conservative and assume that there are just around 300 billion. Now, since the number of stars in a galaxy can run up to 400 billion, then the total number of stars may very well be around 1.2×1023. Let’s just peg that at 1023.

We’ll have to use scientific notation from this point onwards as the numbers we’ll be dealing with are going to be very large.

On the average, each star can weigh about 1035 grams. Thus, the total mass would be about 1058 grams. Since each gram of matter is known to have about 1024 protons or about the same number of hydrogen atoms (since 1 hydrogen atom has only 1 proton), then the total number of hydrogen atoms should be roughly 1082.

Once again, this number is just a rough estimate. When use it to estimate the total mass of the Universe, it falls short of what other estimates predict. This is one of the reasons why scientists believe in the existence of a so-called dark matter. In fact, much of what compose entire galaxies are believed to be dark matter. What we see is just a smaller fraction of the whole.

Link

Edited by mjmooney

Our tiny little minds can barely comprehend how big the universe is, never mind getting around the 'fact' that once upon a time there was nothing and then all of a sudden there was something.

Physics can explain how, but it will never be able to tell us why.

Our tiny little minds can barely comprehend how big the universe is, never mind getting around the 'fact' that once upon a time there was nothing and then all of a sudden there was something.

"Why" is an inappropriate concept in this case.

Our tiny little minds can barely comprehend how big the universe is, never mind getting around the 'fact' that once upon a time there was nothing and then all of a sudden there was something

I think how and why will be one and the same really. It will most probably turn out to be a process of some description thus the 2 answers will be interlocked.

Id say the answer will be quite far off mind!

Our tiny little minds can barely comprehend how big the universe is, never mind getting around the 'fact' that once upon a time there was nothing and then all of a sudden there was something

I think how and why will be one and the same really. It will most probably turn out to be a process of some description thus the 2 answers will be interlocked.

Id say the answer will be quite far off mind!

Then the follow on question would be 'why is the process occurring?' It will be a never ending series of questions, our understanding of 'how' will hit a brick wall at 'why' in my opinion

How and why are the same in this context. On a pragmatic level, how something is happening is also precisely why it is happening. It is following its laws. Some of which we know and some of which we don't yet know. As for the reasons. Some peoples' pre-occupation with trying to perhaps put some spiritual meaning to it all will ultimately be their frustration. 'Why' did someone/something do it or 'why' did someone/something put us here. In that sense, for those people, that's the 'why' that can't be answered and never will be.

Â