The Universe

dont_do_it_doug.

I think its a miracle how the Earth has managed to remain practically untouched in such a volatile environment. There are things out there that could destroy this planet in a millisecond. Most people consider a black hole to be the most destructive force in the Universe but apparently its not. A Quasar has the gravitational pull of one billion black holes and when it destroys something it steals its energy and adds its gravitational pull to its own. Does that mean it has unlimited power and could destroy the universe eventually?

Quasars are black holes. They will eventually evaporate, same as everything else, but it'll take a long time. A staggeringly long time.

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst the dark isn't really that dark, the dry warm nights mean that my gang have been staying up late, laying on the tinder dry back garden golden lawn, staring at the night sky.

Great view of the Plough last night, plus the occassional satellite. Oh, and bats, but I suspect they weren't all that high up.

The more you look, the more you see.

Been feeling all philosophical this morning, about lucky I am. 

I live in a well built, secure, comfortable house.

Outside that house, things are a little more dangerous - traffic, a very slight risk of violence or robbery, etc.

But it's a pretty nice neighbourhood.

Outside that neighbourhood there are considerably rougher and more dangerous urban areas.

But it's a city, so there are police and medical services on call.

Outside the city there are parts which are more remote, where you could die of exposure in bad conditions.

But it's in Britain, in a temperate zone, so no huge risk.

Outside that temperate zone, there are third world places where the cities are MUCH much lawless and dangerous, and the wildernesses are MUCH bigger, and with more extreme weather conditions.

But it's on planet Earth, an environment we've evolved to live in - with air, water, edible vegetation, and a relatively narrow range of temperature variation.

Outside of that - by a HUGE margin, practically the entire universe - is hell, basically. A place we couldn't survive in for more than a second.

So I live in the tiniest, tiniest, tiniest bubble of comfort and safety, otherwise surrounded by ever bigger spheres of increasingly more and more hostile environment.

I think I'll have a cup of tea.

That reasoning will all go out the window once you step on a plug.

• Like 1

473227.jpg

Reading this at the moment (99p charity shop bargain) and it's fascinating. I'm less than 100 pages in and it's only reached the outer solar system. I wish he'd taught me science at school. He makes chemistry, a subject I didn't enjoy, sound interesting.

• 5 weeks later...
Â