The Universe

dont_do_it_doug.

You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

And there will be emu's in the zone......

Within the decade I expect we'll find hundreds if not thousands of habitable planets. I can then see hundreds of years of wondering how to check them out.

It is very much a case of the initial steps are the easiest to make. Getting to the moon from our starting point was a walk in the park compared to getting to a planet in a distant galaxy.

Only until we invent/deploy warp speed

Amen+and+Make+it+so+copy.jpg

Whenever I try to get into my head how big the universe really is, it just does my head in. And that's when I realise how insignificant we really are in the big picture. I'd love to go out there and travel in space. I just wish it could be done like in all those sci-fi stories. :) Isn't the nearest galaxy the Andromeda galaxy which is appr 2000000 lightyears away?

Whenever I try to get into my head how big the universe really is, it just does my head in. And that's when I realise how insignificant we really are in the big picture. I'd love to go out there and travel in space. I just wish it could be done like in all those sci-fi stories. :) Isn't the nearest galaxy the Andromeda galaxy which is appr 2000000 lightyears away?

nah , I just looked and found one in my drawer about 1 foot away

galaxy_1382321c.jpg

Yeah, but wanting to go to another galaxy is a bit greedy. We've got billions of much nearer stars in our own galaxy to go at first. :)

I'm used to it :lol: That's the third time in the past 2 days it's happened to me (the Russell Brand sketch & the Canadian Villa fan).

22 light years away, huh. So, if the speed of light is 670,616,629 (apparently) miles per hour and the fastest Voyager managed was 38,600 miles per hour it would take ... a while.

need to think outside the box and picture a ship that  can cross vast distances without experiencing relativity

We're clearly going to need a new means of propulsion if the rest of space is to become relevant and even remotely accessible. From the bits I read, I think NASA et al are looking into that area and it's an area that has been largely ignored and has massive scope for improvement. We're still basically sitting on a big fire cracker until it expires. So we're not much beyond cavemen when it comes to space.

Yeah, but wanting to go to another galaxy is a bit greedy. We've got billions of much nearer stars in our own galaxy to go at first. :)

Yeah, well, that's like going to Ullevi to watch football when you can go to Brum and VP. :D

nah , I just looked and found one in my drawer about 1 foot away

galaxy_1382321c.jpg

Now you mention it, I've got this lying here on the table

Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-16GB.jpg

22 light years away, huh. So, if the speed of light is 670,616,629 (apparently) miles per hour and the fastest Voyager managed was 38,600 miles per hour it would take ... a while.

need to think outside the box and picture a ship that  can cross vast distances without experiencing relativity

So this then

event_horizon_2_by_grahamtg-d33xjqt.png

So this then

event_horizon_2_by_grahamtg-d33xjqt.png

it's a start I guess

One of the advance beings in Stargate came up with the method that the  ship doesn't move ..instead you move the whole Universe  ... it's why I could never write Sci-Fi as I'd just look at that on the paper and say "nah that's complete bollocks" and lob it in the bin

Â