The Universe

dont_do_it_doug.

What was before the Big Bang...and what is beyond space?

The Big Bang theory leaves me unconvinced. Time has to have always existed...

Did you watch the video I posted in the post before yours? It answers these points quite clearly.

To say "time has to have always existed" shows you don't understand how gravity works (many people don't). However science isn't based on what people feel. If you want to learn why, I can recommend some books.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What was before the Big Bang...and what is beyond space?

The Big Bang theory leaves me unconvinced. Time has to have always existed...

Isn't time and space a product of the Big Bang?

AVFCDAN some theory's would say that.

However some try to explain that the 'bang' had to have been caused by something....thus time and space could have existed before. 

Maqroll the vast majority of the evidence points to an expanding universe, thus it had to come from something. The 'big bang' is just the logical start to that (I use logical very loosely), its the start of the expansion. Its not so much IF there was a 'Big Bang' but rather why and how. 

As for what is beyond space or the big bang, we would be very famous if we knew. There are loads of differing theory's but nothing that really answers all the questions. So the long and short of is we dont know.

As much as the start of the universe is interesting,  the end could help us work it all out also IMO.

The universe is dying,  at a slow rate but still dying.   As it expands the interaction of objects reduces and in billions of years the fire's that shone so bright will be blacker than a shark's eye.

The end result is black,  if it expands infinitely and there is only X amount of "Stuff" in it then at some point there will be a time where F**k all is going on and the closest objects are millions of light years away from each other.

Not that great a party after all.  No stars,  suns,  or asteroids.  Basically nothing.  Which is why the end could be the beginning,  at this point a black hole or similar could be all consuming and swallow the whole universe and pop it out from another point,  a birth of a universe so to speak.....which is the big bang and round and round we go.

Just a guess  :)

The infinite number of universes theory would mean that there is one in which small heath are a great, all-conquering club, and Villa are shite. 

This disproves the validity of the theory. 

• Like 2

I love reading books on string theory and other theoretical science ideas that try to piece together what we are and why we and our known Universe exists. I believe in the Big Bang as the start of our known universe, this theory doesn't suggest that there was nothing beforehand at all. One idea is the Big Bang happened as a result of the paths of two sets of dimensions crossing, which would explain the growth and start of our own Universe. It is also speculated that if there are conditions to create our own Universe then there are going to be others created around us, so we are like a bubble in a sea of froth. Whether we'll be able to fully understand our existence is perhaps in my opinion something that will be far too extreme and complicated for our brains to ever completely comprehend, nevertheless it is great trying to put parts of the puzzle that we see together. I just think some of the jigsaw will be never found, we'll get to figure out our immediate and visible surroundings, beyond that maybe to an extent by what effects are created on our known Universe but beyond that I have my doubts

The size of my penis is the universal constant. Tiny, that is, if you're wonderin'. Like a **** Celebrations Mars Bar.

I'm not saying I 'like' your penis there...just your sense of humour.

But not like in a gay way or owt.

:huh:

The dimension we refer to as "time" was created when the other dimensions were. Trying to use the word "before" in relation to this is meaningless. The time dimension in our universe is part of the fabric of our universe. This implies nothing about how the universe came into existence. If you go back in time you get to about 14.7 billion years and then there is nothing older than that. There cannot be as the "stick" you are using to measure it is only that long. Just like when you keep going south on Earth, there comes a point where it is impossible to go further south. If there is a something in which the universe was created then it is indescribable as we don't have the tools (not yet anyway). It might be that any "meta" universe has multiple time like dimensions, or none; if it even holds to any of the physical laws that our universe does.

The wasn't a big bang. Bangs require something to bang in. What happened was inflation. Effectively the universe went from being tiny to large in a small amount of time. It didn't expand into a pre-existing void. The universe continues to expand as effectively every point in it is still inflating from its original starting point. In fact the rate of inflation is increasing. We have no models (yet) which describe what causes inflation let alone why it is accelerating. Without knowing that, we have to accept that inflation may stop or even reverse at any time.

• Like 2

The dimension we refer to as "time" was created when the other dimensions were. Trying to use the word "before" in relation to this is meaningless. The time dimension in our universe is part of the fabric of our universe. This implies nothing about how the universe came into existence. If you go back in time you get to about 14.7 billion years and then there is nothing older than that. There cannot be as the "stick" you are using to measure it is only that long. Just like when you keep going south on Earth, there comes a point where it is impossible to go further south. If there is a something in which the universe was created then it is indescribable as we don't have the tools (not yet anyway). It might be that any "meta" universe has multiple time like dimensions, or none; if it even holds to any of the physical laws that our universe does.

The wasn't a big bang. Bangs require something to bang in. What happened was inflation. Effectively the universe went from being tiny to large in a small amount of time. It didn't expand into a pre-existing void. The universe continues to expand as effectively every point in it is still inflating from its original starting point. In fact the rate of inflation is increasing. We have no models (yet) which describe what causes inflation let alone why it is accelerating. Without knowing that, we have to accept that inflation may stop or even reverse at any time.

Kurt Vonnegut applauds you, dear sir.

4981.jpg

“All time is all time. It does not change. It does not lend itself to warnings or explanations. It simply is. Take it moment by moment, and you will find that we are all, as I've said before, bugs in amber.”

"The most important thing I learned on Tralfamadore was that when a person dies he only appears to die. He is still very much alive in the past, so it is very silly for people to cry at his funeral. All moments, past, present and future, always have existed, always will exist. The Tralfamadorians can look at all the different moments just that way we can look at a stretch of the Rocky Mountains, for instance. They can see how permanent all the moments are, and they can look at any moment that interests them. It is just an illusion we have here on Earth that one moment follows another one, like beads on a string, and that once a moment is gone it is gone forever.

When a Tralfamadorian sees a corpse, all he thinks is that the dead person is in a bad condition in that particular moment, but that the same person is just fine in plenty of other moments. Now, when I myself hear that somebody is dead, I simply shrug and say what the Tralfamadorians say about dead people, which is "so it goes.” 

Slaughterhouse Five (my favourite book ever...)

Edited by StigVillan
  • Like 2

Big Bang isn't a description of a particular 'bang', it's just a term given to the start of the set of events that the start of the Universe has grown from, there's also nothing that would say that time never was in existence before the Big Bang, just that the time our Universe feels hadn't started. However there could be other dimensions of time that we are unaware of just as there are more than one dimensions of our known physical universe

Â